Raymond E. Vickery Sr., 77, a retired Agriculture Department official and retired lieutenant colonel in the Army reserves who had been active in civic affairs in Northern Virginia, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 13 at Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Vienna.

He served as director of the grain and feed division of the Agriculture Department's Foreign Agricultural Service for 10 years before retiring in 1972. He had joined what became the service in 1948. During his years as division director, American grain was exported to relieve famines in India. It was also during this time that massive grain sales were made to the Soviet Union.

After retiring from the federal government, Mr. Vickery served from 1974 to 1980 as legislative aide to his son, Raymond E. Vickery Jr. (D-Fairfax), who was a member of the House of Delegates. The elder Mr. Vickery had been a member of the Vienna Town Planning Commission and had served on the planning advisory board for the Vienna Metro stop.

He had been a deacon of the Vienna Baptist Church.

Mr. Vickery was a native of Coffeeville, Miss., and a 1933 graduate of Mississippi State University. He served with the Army in Europe during World War II and retired from the reserves in 1970. He worked in the administration of occupied territories from 1945 to 1947.

In addition to his son, of Vienna, his survivors include his wife, Clarene H., also of Vienna; three other sons, Dr. Donald M., of Herndon, Kenneth P., of Raleigh, N.C., and Steven L., of New York City; a brother, Joris, of Coffeeville; two sisters, Sue Moore and Judith Hampe, both of Memphis, and five grandchildren.

DR. GIOVANNI DI SABATO, 58, a Vanderbilt University professor who helped discover the drug interleukin 2, a biological regulator of white blood cells being tested for the treatment of certain kinds of cancer, died of cancer Oct. 11 at his home in Nashville.

Dr. Di Sabato, who was a professor of molecular biology, joined Vanderbilt in 1968 and was named a full professor in 1982. He taught courses in immunology and conducted research.

He was a native of Venice and was a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Padua medical school. He joined Vanderbilt after holding research posts at the University of Milan and Brandeis University.

Dr. Di Sabato edited a series of books on laboratory procedures used in immunological research and was a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Society of Biological Chemists. He was certified in clinical pathology by the American Board of Pathology.

Survivors include his wife, Leida Di Sabato of Nashville, and a sister, Fulvia Sesani of Venice.

WILLIAM F. SAGER, 68, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel who founded an airport consulting business, was killed Oct. 7 when the twin-engine Cessna airplane he was piloting crashed shortly after taking off from De Land, Fla.

An official in the Miami office of the National Transportation Safety Board said the plane, which was bound to Port Charlotte, Fla., appeared to be at lower than normal altitude when it rolled into a spin and crashed into a vacant frame house. All five persons aboard the aircraft were killed, the NTSB official said.

Col. Sager, a resident of Alexandria until moving to Port Charlotte last January, was born in Lewistown, Pa. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1937 and was commissioned two years later.

During World War II, he flew transport planes over the "Hump" of the Himalayas carrying supplies from India to China. He also flew in the Korean war, and he served in Okinawa and the Philippines. He moved to the Washington area in 1966, and he was an intelligence officer in the Pentagon when he retired from the Air Force.

Col. Sager's military decorations included the Legion of Merit.

After leaving the service, Col. Sager helped start an aviation consulting business, and he ran it until his death.

His marriage to Norma L. Sager ended in divorce.

Survivors include four children, Sharon Taylor of Cairo, William F. Sager III of Naples, Fla., Barbara Sager-Zapata of Colorado Springs, Colo., and Terri Sager of Alexandria; two sisters, Esther Myers of Lewistown and Anne Poorman of State College, Pa.; one brother, Merrill Sager, also of State College; and two grandchildren. LEAH B. SOMMER, 87, a resident of the Washington area since 1985 who was active in volunteer work, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 14 at the Georgetown House retirement home in Washington.

She had helped organize a group at the Georgetown House that made afghans and other knitted goods for Children's Hospital. She also had appeared on local public television to promote the hospital.

Mrs. Sommer was a native of Natchez, Miss. She lived in Chicago for 53 years before moving here. She attended Bradley University in Peoria, Ill., and had taught courses in contract bridge in New York and Chicago.

Her husband, Armand Sommer, died in 1976. Survivors include two daughters, Jane S. Mason of Washington and Ann S. Holmes of Westport, Conn., and five grandchildren.

WILLIAM R. CLINE, 52, a supervisory patent examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, died of heart disease Oct. 11 at his home in Vienna.

Mr. Cline was born in La Crosse, Wis. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin, where he also earned a law degree. He served in the Army from 1958 to 1960. He moved to the Washington area in 1964 and joined the Patent and Trademark Office, where he worked until his death.

He had received three awards from the Patent Office for superior achievement and was a recipient of the Commerce Department's Bronze Medal for outstanding service.

Mr. Cline was a member of the Northern Virginia Radio Control Club, a model airplane organization.

Survivors include his wife, Lizabeth E. Cline, and one daughter, Ashli Elisabeth Cline, both of Vienna; his mother, Florence Cline of La Crosse; one brother, James Cline of Edmonton, Alberta, and one sister, Jane Perkolup of Geneva, Ill.