Hyman S. Bernstein, 82, the founder and chairman emeritus of Mobern Electric Corp. in Laurel who was active in several Jewish and charitable organizations, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 14 at his home in Washington.
Mr. Bernstein was born in the Bronx in New York City. He was a fluorescent-lighting salesman in New York before he moved to Washington in the mid-1940s.
Soon after his arrival here, he founded Mobern Electric to manufacture and distribute fluorescent lighting equipment. The company subsequently moved to Laurel. Mr. Bernstein managed the business until he retired about three years ago, but he had continued as a consultant to the company in retirement.
Mr. Bernstein was the founder of the Hyman S. and Freda Bernstein Family Foundation, a charitable organization that contributed to about 200 Jewish and educational organizations.
He was one of the national and local organizers of the State of Israel Bond committees and a local founder of the United Jewish Appeal.
In 1979 Mr. Bernstein received the Shem Tov Award from Adas Israel Congregation in Washington for contributions to community causes. He also received the Albert Einstein Award for service to the State of Israel from Technion University in Israel.
Mr. Bernstein was a 32nd degree Mason and a member of Benjamin Franklin Masonic Lodge in Washington, of Almas Temple of the Shrine and of George Washington University's Luther Rice Society 1821 Associates.
Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Freda Bernstein of Washington; one daughter, Tamara Handelsman of Washington; 11 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. A son, Gerald L. Bernstein, died in June.
THOMAS M. ZAMARIA,
65, a retired Army sergeant who became an area manager with the General Services Administration, died of cancer Oct. 13 at a hospital in Atlantis, Fla. He lived in Lake Worth, Fla.
Mr. Zamaria, who made his home in the Washington area for 40 years before moving to Florida in 1980, was a native of Sharpsville, Pa. He joined the Army in 1940 and served in Iceland and in Europe during World War II. He later served in Korea and West Germany.
He served in the Corps of Engineers, spending most of his time at Fort Belvoir and Fort Myer. He retired from active duty in 1961. He then joined GSA, where he became building manager of the Pentagon and then an area manager, before retiring a second time in 1978.
Mr. Zamaria was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Springfield.
Survivors include his wife, Rose, of Lake Worth; two sons, Thomas, of Woodbridge, and Vincent, of Springfield; four brothers, Steve, of Oregon, and Paul, Joseph and Charles, all of Ohio; two sisters, Margaret Lavin of Ohio and Ann Albanese of Largo, Fla.; and two grandchildren.
66, a retired member of the D.C. police department who later worked for two colleges in Delaware, died of cancer Oct. 3 at a hospice in Stockton, Calif., where he had been undergoing treatment for the past year.
Mr. Neill, who lived in Washington, was born here and graduated from Dunbar High School. He graduated from American University and received a master's degree in criminal law from Michigan State University.
During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific. He joined the D.C. police after the war and was assigned to the community relations section when he retired in 1969.
For the next three years, Mr. Neill was director of safety and security at Delaware State College. He went to work about 1972 at the Delaware Technical and Community College, where he became chairman of the criminal justice department. He retired for health reasons in 1976 and moved back to Washington.
He was a member of the Kiwanis Club and the Pigskin Club, and was an enthusiastic bridge player.
Survivors include his wife, Audrey B. Neill of Washington, and one daughter, Cherryl Neill of Arlington.
78, who lived in the Washington area most of her life and was active in volunteer work, died of a heart ailment Oct. 13 at Holy Cross Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.
She was a volunteer with the Red Cross bloodmobile program for the past 20 years. She also was a member of the Women's Interfaith Services of Montgomery County, an ecumenical group that assists the needy.
She was a member of Little Flower Catholic Church in Bethesda, the Kenwood Golf and Country Club, the Springfield Garden Club and the Congressional Cemetery Association.
Mrs. Scatterday was a native of Washington and a graduate of Central High School and Goucher College in Baltimore. She accompanied her husband of 51 years, George Scatterday, who is a retired FBI official, to assignments in Idaho and California before returning here in 1947.
Her survivors include her husband.
FREDERICK HAMILTON MONROE,
87, a former Washington resident and a retired transportation analyst with Metro, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 8 at his home in Concord, Calif.
Mr. Monroe, who moved from Washington to California this year, was born in Palos Park, Ill., and graduated from the University of Chicago. He moved to the Washington area about 1950 and operated his own construction equipment firm.
During the 1960s, he worked for Economic Associates Inc., a Washington firm that conducted transportation studies around the world for the Agency for International Development. He joined Metro in the early 1970s and retired about 1979.
Mr. Monroe was a past president of the Eastern Branch Kiwanis Club and was a member of New York Avenue Presbyterian Church.
Survivors include his wife, Virginia Ruff Monroe, and one son, Ralph Lawrence Monroe, both of Concord; one brother, John Monroe of San Francisco; and three grandchildren.
GEORGE R. BICKELL SR.,
71, a retired Air Force colonel who had been a fighter pilot in Europe during World War II and later a faculty member at the National War College in Washington and a NATO staff officer in Italy, died of cancer Oct. 4 at his home in Brewster, Mass.
Col. Bickell was born in Passaic, N.J. He attended Drew University and New York University.
He joined the Army Air Corps in 1939 and was assigned at Wheeler Field in Hawaii on Dec. 7, 1941, when it was attacked by Japanese planes during the raid on Pearl Harbor. Later in the war, he was a fighter pilot and group commander, and he escorted U.S. bombers on raids over Germany.
After the war, he was a fighter wing commander in West Germany, a student and later a faculty member at the National War College in Washington, a NATO officer in Italy, vice commander of the Air Defense Command at Hancock Field in Syracuse, N.Y., and director of a reserve unit at Andrews Air Force Base.
Col. Bickell retired from the Air Force in 1969. He moved to this area in 1963, and lived in Alexandria and Fairfax before he moved to Brewster in 1986.
Survivors include his wife, Nancy A. Sprague Bickell of Brewster; two sons, George R. Bickell Jr. of Boston and Thomas N. Bickell of Anchorage; two daughters, Robin E. Bickell of Los Angeles and Judith A. Olson of Montclair, N.J.; one sister, Lois Schoenfeldt of Escondido, Calif.; and four grandchildren.
ODEN HOWERTEN FISHER,
83, a retired Washington pharmacist and a founder of the National Pharmaceutical Association, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 14 at Providence Hospital. He lived in Washington.
Mr. Fisher was born in Washington. He graduated from Dunbar High School and in 1925 he earned a degree in pharmacy from Howard University. He worked for drugstores in Roanoke, Va., and Milwaukee before returning to the Washington area in the early 1930s.
He was employed by the old Pinketts Drug Store and the Ethical Prescription Shop during the late 1930s and the 1940s. During the 1950s, he continued his career in pharmacy and also worked part time as a mail clerk with the old Post Office Department.
Mr. Fisher joined the old Prescription Shop during the 1960s and worked there until he retired about 1973. He was a member of Shiloh Baptist Church in Washington.
His first wife, Lucy Helen Fisher, died in 1959. His second wife, Celestine Harris Fisher, died in 1979.
Survivors include a daughter by his first marriage, Lonise F. Robinson, and a brother, Douglas Fisher, both of Washington; eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
BETTY CAMERON JOHNSON,
71, who was active in drama groups and Republican organizations in Montgomery County, died of respiratory failure Oct. 11 at Suburban Hospital.
Mrs. Johnson, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Hackett, Ark. She attended Lindenwood College. As a young woman, she was an amateur airplane pilot in Arkansas. Later she was an actress and participated in tours with the New York Shakespearean Repertory Company.
In 1944 Mrs. Johnson moved to the Washington area.
She had been chairwoman of the drama section of the Chevy Chase Women's Club, a past president of the Rock Creek Women's Republican Club and a member of the League of Republican Women.
Her first husband, Peter C. Cameron, died in 1969.
Survivors include her husband, Everett E. Johnson of Bethesda; two children by her first marriage, Ann Cameron Irwin of Houston and William Forbes Cameron of Alexandria; and two grandchildren.
DORCAS ROWE JONES,
84, a longtime Washington resident, died of cancer Oct. 14 at her daughter's home in Peoria, Ill.
Mrs. Jones was born in Bedford, Ind., and moved to Washington in 1928. With the exception of eight years in Cleveland during the 1960s, she lived here until 1968, when she moved to Peoria to live with her daughter.
Survivors include her husband, William M. Jones of Peoria; one daughter, Dorcas Tauscher of Peoria; two sons, David Jones of Cleveland and Richard Jones of Denver; six grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.
NANCY CLARE WOOD,
38, a former advertising sales representative with the old Washington Star and a member of the Women's Equality Action League, died of hepatitis Oct. 7 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Springfield.
Miss Wood was born in Fort Bliss, Tex. She grew up in the Washington area and graduated from Annandale High School. She worked as a secretary for a Northern Virginia insurance company during the late 1960s and joined the advertising sales staff of The Star about 1976. She remained with the newspaper until it closed in 1981.
Her marriage to Ron Quasebarth ended in divorce.
Survivors include her parents, retired Army Col. and Mrs. Milford Wood of Springfield, and a sister, Susan Wood of Herndon.
MARY W. CLINE,
70, a longtime Washington area resident who had assisted her husband with his research in Mexican history at the Library of Congress, died of cancer Oct. 13 at her home in Arlington.
Mrs. Cline was born in Westford, Mass. She graduated from Simmons College in Massachusetts. She moved to the Washington area in 1952. She became an editor and collaborator on scholarly studies of Mexican history with her husband, Dr. Howard F. Cline, who was director of the Hispanic Foundation of the Library of Congress. He died in 1971.
Survivors include two daughters, Dr. Ann Cline Kelly of Arlington and Dr. Sue Cline of Santa Barbara, Calif.; a sister, Marjorie W. Cline of Arlington; a brother, Kenneth Wilson of Westford, and three granddaughters.
JAMES L. WALTHALL JR.,
63, a retired mechanical engineer with the Naval Surface Weapons Center at White Oak, died Oct. 13 at Holy Cross Hospital of myesthenia gravis, a form of multiple sclerosis.
Mr. Walthall, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Lebanon, Va. He graduated from Virginia Polytechnic Institute. During World War II he served in the Army Air Forces in the Pacific.
He moved to the Washington area in 1948 and worked at the Naval Surface Weapons Center from then until he retired in 1979.
Mr. Walthall was an amateur photographer and secretary-treasurer of the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Camera Club. He also was a founding member of the Capitol Area Soaring Association, a radio-controlled model glider organization.
Survivors include his wife, Polly, of Silver Spring; two sons, James Glenn Walthall of Roanoke and Charles Lee Walthall of Lincoln, Neb., and his mother, Edith C. Walthall of Tazewell, Va.
CHARLES R. MAXWELL,
72, a retired scientist at the National Institutes of Health, died of a pulmonary embolism Oct. 11 at Bethesda Naval Hospital.
Dr. Maxwell, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Coker, Ala., and graduated from the University of Alabama. He took a doctorate in physical chemistry at Iowa State University and did post doctoral work in physics at Johns Hopkins University.
During World War II he served in the Army. He was assigned to Ames, Iowa, and Los Alamos, N.M., to work on the Manhattan Project, which produced the first atomic bomb.
In 1947 Dr. Maxwell moved to the Washington area and joined the staff at the National Institutes of Health. Much of his work there involved research on the effects of ionizing radiation on biologically important chemicals. He retired in 1972 with the rank of scientist director in the Public Health Service.
He was a member of the American Chemical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Bethesda.
Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth Starbuck Maxwell of Bethesda; a son, Richard Starbuck Maxwell of Los Angeles; a daughter, Sarah Maxwell Elliot of New York City, and four grandchildren.