Ted Prahinski, 58, a lawyer with the Air Force Systems Command at Andrews Air Force Base who was active in civic and political groups, died Oct. 23 at his home in Washington after a heart attack.

He was an examiner with the U.S. Patent Office from 1954 to 1957, then engaged in the private practice of civil, patent and criminal law until joining the government in 1970. He spent two years with the Army Materiel Command before joining the Air Force, where he has worked since 1972.

Mr. Prahinski had been elected to three terms on the D.C. Advisory Neighborhood Council. He also was a past president of the Shepherd Park Citizens Association and a past vice president of the D.C. Federation of Civic Associations. He was a founder and director of the D.C. Home Rule Committee and had served on the D.C. Transportation Advisory Committee.

He had served on the national committee of the Young Democrats and was a delegate to the 1976 White House Conference on Families. He was an advance man in the 1968 presidential campaign of Hubert H. Humphrey.

He was a member of the D.C. and Federal Bar associations and the Government Patent Lawyers Association. He had been a director and secretary of the Washington Area Bicyclists Association and had contributed to its Washington bike atlas.

Mr. Prahinski, who had lived in the Washington area since 1954, was a native of Philadelphia. He received a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Notre Dame and a law degree from Georgetown University. He served with the Navy in attack transports in Korean waters during the Korean War.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, Mary Gaspar Prahinski of Washington; a son, John Robert Prahinski of Charlottesville; two daughters, Mary Christine Prahinski of Washington, and Susan Elizabeth Prahinski of Chapel Hill, N.C.; his mother, Dorothy K. Prahinski of Washington; three brothers, Arthur, of Bethesda, Robert, of Phoenix, and Leo, of Glendale, Md., and four sisters, Mary Jane Prahinski of Adelphi, Nancy Obold of Rockville, Rita Kingery of College Park, and Sister Dorothy Rose S.H.R. of Philadelphia.


40, a Washington area painter and artist who had taught in Israel, died of cancer Oct. 23 at the Hospice of Washington. She lived in Wheaton.

Mrs. Hirsch-Harari's interest in painting began when she was a child. She worked with watercolor and pencil on paper and frequently based her work on images derived from ancient and medieval illustrated manuscripts.

Her paintings, which often sought to join Jewish heritage with aspects of the present, had been exhibited at the Union of American Hebrew Congregations and the Housing of Living Judaism in New York and at the Washington Women's Art Center and the Goldman Fine Arts Center at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington in Rockville.

In 1970, she moved to Israel, where she taught art until 1977 at the Herzl School in Haifa and at the Jerusalem Museum.

A native of Baltimore, Mrs. Hirsch-Harari grew up in the Washington area and graduated from Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda. She graduated from Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati and the University of Cincinnati. She also had studied at American University and at the Corcoran School of Art.

Mrs. Hirsch-Harari had taught religious classes at the Temple Sinai Congregation in Washington, the Washington Hebrew Congregation, and Beth Tikva Congregation in Rockville.

Her marriage to Zeev Harari ended in divorce.

Survivors include her parents, Jewel and Jerry Hirsch of Bethesda, and four brothers, Bruce Hirsch of Gaithersburg, Fred Hirsch of Great Falls, Larry Hirsch of Chevy Chase, and Stuart Hirsch of Easton.


76, a retired administrative assistant with the old data systems division of the Marine Corps, died of kidney failure and a stroke Oct. 21 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Mrs. Azzarano, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Rocky Mount, N.C. She graduated from Kings Business College in North Carolina.

She moved to the Washington area in 1937 and joined the Housing and Home Finance Administration. She became a civilian employe of the Marine Corps in 1952, and retired in 1972.

Her husband, Louis J. Azzarano, died this year. Survivors include one son, Richard A. Azzarano of Woodbridge; three sisters, Mabel Fry of Clarksville, Ga., Rachel Courtney of St. Augustine, Fla., and Nancy Fromme of Eugene, Ore.; one brother, John G. Ray of Virginia Beach, and three grandchildren.


78, a Washington area resident since 1937 and a member of St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church and its women's organization, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 22 at her home in Falls Church.

Mrs. Corley was born in Columbus, Ohio.

She was a member of the Falls Church Garden Club, the Fairfax County Homemakers Extension Club and the McLean Quilting Club. She also was a sponsor and member of the 4-H Club of Falls Church.

Her husband, John D. Corley, died in 1977.

Survivors include three daughters, Marylin Walsh of Falls Church, Elizabeth Lay of McLean, and Rita Kohler of Spring Mills, Pa.; three sons, John L. Corley of Burnsville, Minn., Daniel M. Corley of Rockville, and William Corley of Charlottesville; one brother, Leo J. Dietlin of Columbus; two sisters, Louise Butler and Mary Ann Kennedy, both of Columbus; 21 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


74, a retired aeronautical engineer with the Navy Department, died of heart ailments Oct. 23 at Northern Virginia Doctors' Hospital. He had Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Shubart, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Kansas City, Mo. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he majored in aeronautical engineering. As a young man he worked as an engineer in Australia and for various airplane companies in this country.

During World War II, he was a lieutenant commander in the Navy and was stationed in Washington. He remained here after the war and became a civilian official in the Bureau of Aeronautics in the Navy Department. He retired in 1966.

Survivors include his wife, Irene Barker Shubart of Alexandria; two children, Dr. Bonnie Joan Wood of Presque Isle, Maine, and Helen Suzanne Shubart of New York City; one brother, Harry Shubart of Evanston, Ill., and two grandchildren.


71, a retired disaster supply specialist with the American Red Cross, died of cancer Oct. 16 at Georgetown University Hospital.

A resident of Upper Marlboro, Mr. Fisher was born in Oriental, N.C. He moved to Washington in 1928, and graduated from Armstrong High School and attended Howard University. As a young man he worked briefly for Hechinger's hardware and lumber company.

He began his career with the Red Cross in 1941. He was a disaster supply specialist in the latter part of his career, and his duties involved coordinating Red Cross supplies and equipment at such disasters as the nuclear power plant accident at Three Mile Island, Pa., and floods in Alabama and Kentucky.

He retired in 1981, but continued to work for the Red Cross on a volunteer basis.

Mr. Fisher was a 59-year member of Ward Memorial AME Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Catherine Fisher of Upper Marlboro; four daughters, Joyce R. Fisher and Catherine Booker, both of Upper Marlboro, Charlotte Fisher-Black of Oxon Hill, and Rita Fisher of Washington; one son, Charles A. Fisher of Fort Washington; one sister, Agnes Dunn of Washington, and seven grandchildren.


21, a lifelong Arlington resident who was a senior at New York University, died Oct. 24 in New York City. A spokesman for the New York City police said he died after accidentally falling from the Williamsburg Bridge.

Mr. Ross was educated at the Edmund Burke School in Washington and at Woodlawn High School in Arlington, from which he graduated in 1984. At the time of his death, he was studying film at New York University's Tisch School of Arts.

During his high school years, he wrote and published a music "fanzine," "Brand New Age." He also studied film at the Arlington County Career Center and won a county award for a documentary he made on recycling garbage.

Survivors include his parents, Alexander C. Ross and Judith Downs Ross, a sister, Amy Ross, and his maternal grandparents, Richard F. and Katherine Downs, all of Arlington.


91, a longtime Washington area resident who was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Chevy Chase Women's Club, died of a heart ailment Oct. 19 at a hospital in Cincinnati.

Mrs. Moxness was born in Branch County, Mich., and first came to Washington in 1918. She was a clerk for the War Department and the Department of Agriculture during and after World War I.

In 1923 she married Bennie A. Moxness, a physician who later served in the Army and the Air Force Medical Corps, and she accompanied him on various assignments around the country and in Washington for the military and for other government agencies.

She had been a resident of the Washington area since 1957, when he retired from the Air Force as a colonel.

Mrs. Moxness was a member of the Westmoreland Congregational Church, and she was an amateur genealogist. She lived in Chevy Chase until moving to Cincinnati this year.

In addition to her husband, of Cincinnati, Mrs. Moxness is survived by one daughter, Elinor Winchester of Cincinnati, and one grandchild. A son, Arnold Moxness, died about 10 years ago.


81, a retired Army colonel and former State Department employe who grew up in the Washington area and graduated from McKinley Tech High School, died of a heart ailment Oct. 23 at a hospital in Mount Pleasant, Mich. He had homes in Mt. Pleasant and France.

Col. Atkins was born in West Virginia and came to Washington when he was about three months old. He became an Eagle Scout in Boy Scout Troop No. 100 in Washington about 1924.

He received a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from the University of Chicago before going on active Army duty in 1940. An ordnance officer, he served in Europe during World War II and retired from active duty in the mid-1950s and the reserves in 1961. He had attained the rank of colonel and served as an assistant military attache in London. He worked for the U.S. Embassy in London until retiring in 1962.

His first wife, Constance Hay Atkins, died in 1974. Survivors include his wife, Francine Flynn Atkins of Mount Pleasant and France, and a brother, retired Navy Capt. Robert B. Atkins of Fairfax.


51, the founder and president of Washington Canopies, Inc., died of cancer Oct. 23 at Anne Arundel General Hospital in Annapolis. He lived in Kent Island, Md.

Mr. Buckingham was born in Washington and graduated from Woodward Preparatory School. He attended George Washington and American universities.

He went to work in the late 1950s for the old Washington Shade and Awning Co., a family-owned enterprise. He founded his own firm in 1980 and operated it until his death.

Mr. Buckingham was a member of the Industrial Fabrics Association International, where he had been a Northeast regional director. He was a member of the Rock Creek Council and the Archbishop O'Boyle General Assembly of the Knights of Columbus.

He was a past president of the Bladensburg Rotary Club and had been a member of the Fathers Club of Stone Ridge in Bethesda, the Bullis Parents Club, and Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington, where he had coached football.

Survivors include his wife, Rita Dunbar Buckingham of Kent Island; three sons, Philip J. and D. Gregory Buckingham Jr., both of Gaithersburg, and Martin T. Buckingham of Silver Spring; one daughter, Julie A. Buckingham of Rockville; two brothers, Lewis Y. Buckingham of Fairfax and John D. Buckingham of Bethesda, and one granddaughter.


65, a retired secretary with the adult education program of the Arlington County public schools, died of pneumonia Oct. 24 at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Ransom was born in Garfield, Ark. She graduated from Strayer Business College. She moved to the Washington area in 1940 and went to work for the General Accounting Office. During the early 1950s, she worked for the Treasury Department and the National Archives. She joined the Arlington schools in the late 1950s and retired in 1983.

She was a volunteer in the emergency room of Arlington Hospital and had been a member of Mount Olivet United Methodist Church in Arlington.

Survivors include her husband, Robert P. Ransom of Arlington; one daughter, Sally Khouri of Hayti, Mo.; one son, Robert P. Ransom II of Springfield; four sisters, Dorothy Ross of Garfield, Corda Allen of Wheatland, Wyo., Irma Jean Walker of Midwest City, Okla., and Margaret Story of Sunland, Calif.; two brothers, Vaughn Ellis of Salt Lake City, and Lloyd Ellis of Los Angeles, and seven grandchildren.


75, who worked for the Agriculture Department 29 years before retiring in 1973 as a statistical supervisor, died Oct. 24 at her home in Alexandria. She had Alzheimer's disease.

She was a member of Baptist Temple Church in Alexandria. Mrs. Holtzclaw was a native of Tennessee and moved here about 1915.

Survivors include her husband, Lloyd A. Holtzclaw Jr. of Alexandria; two daughters, Juanita Gregory of Arlington, and Diane Holtzclaw of Alexandria; a brother, Dwight B. Alley of Abingdon, Va.; a sister, Ruth C. Beatty of Alexandria, and three grandchildren.