85, a Washington lawyer who was a retired Justice Department trial attorney, died of a heart ailment Oct. 26 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.

Mr. Watson was a native of St. Louis and a graduate of St. Louis University and its law school. He practiced law in Missouri before serving as a U.S. government attorney in China from 1934 to 1938. During those years, he helped direct investigations into the sinking by Japanese forces of the USS Panay, a gunboat on the Yangtze River patrol.

He then moved here, and was special assistant to the U.S. attorney general before entering the Navy in 1941. His duties during the war included tours as a Navy lawyer and as a gunnery officer aboard the carrier Ranger.

In 1946, Mr. Watson joined the Justice Department's office of alien property. He retired as a trial attorney in the general litigation section in 1972. Since then, he had engaged in the private practice of law.

Mr. Watson was a member of the Army & Navy Club and the Little Flower Catholic Church in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife, Janet C. Watson of Bethesda, and one sister, Lila Huppert of Okmulgee, Okla.


62, a registered nurse who had worked at several area hospitals and who also had been a State Department secretary in Moscow, died Oct. 16 at Fairfax Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Falls Church.

Mrs. Day was born in Cumberland, Md., and graduated from what became the American University nursing school in 1945. She was a nurse at Suburban Hospital in the 1940s.

She accompanied her husband, Robert S. Day, who is now a retired Navy commander, to posts here and abroad. From 1950 to 1952, she was a secretary at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow. She returned to this area in 1960. From 1962 until retiring in 1975, she held nursing posts at Fairfax and Sibley Memorial hospitals and at the American University health center.

For the last 12 years, she had served on the board of United Cerebral Palsy of Northern Virginia. She was a member of the Falls Church Presbyterian Church and the Daughters of the American Revolution. She was a past president of her nursing school alumni organization.

Survivors include her husband, of Falls Church; one son, Kurtis A. Day of Greensboro, Pa.; three daughters, Julie Day of Vienna, Ellen Day of Annandale, and Nanette Williams of Lemoore Naval Air Station in California; three sisters, Mary Hosken of Cumberland, Joanna Williams of Bracey, Va., and Margaret Farley of Huntingtown, Md., and two grandchildren.


67, vice president of Greenhoot Inc., a Washington real estate firm specializing in commercial properties, died Oct. 25 at Georgetown University Hospital of complications arising from a kidney transplant.

Mr. DeYoung, a lifelong resident of Washington, graduated from Roosevelt High School and attended the University of Maryland. As a young man he worked in a shoe store that was founded by his father. He continued in that business until the early 1960s, when he sold it.

He then joined Greenhoot Inc., and he remained with the firm until his death.

Mr. DeYoung was a member of the Washington Hebrew Congregation and a former member of the board of directors of the Woodmont Country Club. He also had served on the D.C. Hackers Board and as president of the old Merchants and Manufacturers Association, and he had been a member of the Order of DeMolay, which gave him its legion of honor.

Survivors include his wife, the former Audrey Fischer, of Washington; twin daughters, Babette Ullman of Annapolis and Bette Forman of Washington; his mother, Thelma DeYoung, also of Washington; four grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


65, a congressional investigator who was a retired Army lieutenant colonel, died of cancer Oct. 23 at Walter Reed Army Hospital. A resident of the Washington area since 1963, he lived in Bowie.

Col. Stratton was born in Montana and attended the University of California at Santa Barbara before entering the Army in 1942. During the war, he served in horse cavalry and tank units and commanded prisoner-of-war camps, all in this country.

After the war, he held a variety of posts dealing with security and counter-intelligence, including tours in Europe and on the Pacific atolls where nuclear bombs were tested. His last assignment was with Army Counterintelligence in Washington.

After retiring from active duty in 1966, he spent four years as a civilian investigator with the 116th Military Intelligence Group here.

Since 1970, he had been an investigator with the House of Representatives. He had worked for the past 11 years for the Public Works Committee. Before that, he had worked for the Internal Security and Armed Services committees.

His military decorations included the Distinguished Service Medal.

Col. Stratton was the captain of a U.S. fencing team in the 1940s and he participated in all-Army pistol and rifle groups and had won awards for his pistol shooting. He also had taught skin-diving and had been an Alpine mountain climber. He hunted and fished.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Stratton of Bowie; three sons, John, of Alexandria, James, of Atlanta, and Robert, of Bowie, and two grandchildren.


83, who had owned and operated the Maison Beauty and Hair-Grooming Salon in Washington since founding it in 1942, died of cancer Oct. 25 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville. He lived in Washington.

He had served as president of the D.C. Board of Cosmetology in the 1960s and 1970s and he was the recipient of a 1983 citizenship award from the D.C. Council. He was a 32nd degree member of the Benjamin Franklin Masonic Lodge and a member of the Progress Club.

Mr. Cadeaux was born in Morocco and came to this country in 1923. He lived in Brooklyn and Miami before moving here in 1941. In the 1960s, he owned and operated the old Le Petit Paris restaurant in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Rachel, of Washington; four sons, Albert, of Miami, Ralph, of Maidenhead, England, Jack, of Washington, and Robert, of McLean; a daughter, Tetine Jasen of Silver Spring; three brothers, Emile, of Silver Spring, and Leon and Simon, both of California; a sister living in Israel; nine grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


89, a retired executive vice president of the Pulp, Paper and Paperboard Institute who also had farmed in Purcellville from 1956 to 1986, died of cancer Oct. 25 at the Heritage Hall nursing home in Leesburg.

Mr. Luhrs was a native of New York City and received a bachelor's degree in civil engineering from the Cooper Institute. In 1923, he organized the Container Testing Laboratories in New York and later organized similar facilities in Europe.

He came to Washington during World War II and worked for the War Production Board. After that, he lived in New Jersey and became executive manager of both the National Paperboard Association and the Fibre Box Association. He returned here in the mid-1950s. He lived in Washington for a year before moving to Heritage Hall in March 1987.

Mr. Luhrs was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and the Loudoun Golf and Country Club in Purcellville.

His first wife, Ethel Voss Luhrs, died in 1946. Survivors include his wife, Kathryn Shulkcum Luhrs of Leesburg, and one daughter by his first marriage, Dr. Caro Elise Luhrs of Washington.