Albert P. Crary, 76, a geophysicist and arctic explorer who was chief scientist of the Antarctic research program and later director of the division of environmental sciences at the National Science Foundation, died Oct. 29 at George Washington University Hospital of complications after surgery for a spinal tumor.

Mr. Crary did extensive exploration and research in the Arctic and the Antarctic, and was widely believed to have been the first man to have set foot on both the North and South poles.

During the early 1950s he did research on an assortment of issues dealing with sea ice and ice islands in the Arctic, and in 1952 he was the Air Force's chief scientist for work on a floating ice island known as T-3. That same year he was chief scientist for a party that made the first airplane landing on ice at the North Pole.

In 1955, Mr. Crary set up the glaciological headquarters for the U.S. National Committee for the International Geophysical Year, and he organized U.S. Antarctic work in glaciology.

He went to Antarctica in 1957 as deputy leader and chief scientist of the U.S. Antarctic scientific efforts. On that trip he plunged into the icy waters of Kainan Bay when an ice cliff broke off while he was making observations of ocean temperatures. He climbed onto a small block of ice and was rescued two hours later after the block had drifted more than a mile out to sea.

He also led two major treks into the interior of Antarctica across the Ross Ice Shelf and Victoria Land.

Mr. Crary returned to the United States in March 1959 after 2 1/2 years in the Antarctic. At that time he was named chief scientist of the United States Antarctic Research Program by the National Science Foundation.

He returned to Antarctica in less than a year, and reached the South Pole in February 1960 after a 1,500-mile overland trip.

His last visit to the Antarctic was in 1966 aboard a research ship, but he continued to do arctic and antarctic research at the National Science Foundation until he retired in 1976.

Mr. Crary was a recipient of the Defense Department's Distinguished Civilian Service Award and the Cullum Geographical Medal of the American Geographical Society.

A native of Pierrepont, N.Y., Mr. Crary graduated from St. Lawrence University, and earned a master's degree in physics at Lehigh University.

In the 1930s and 1940s he did oil exploration in Texas, Louisiana, Colombia, Venezuela, England and Bahrain. He did antisubmarine research in 1941 and 1942 at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.

During the late 1940s and 1950s he did research for the Air Force and published papers on upper atmospheric winds and temperatures in such locations as the Panama Canal Zone, Bermuda, Hawaii, Alaska, Florida and New Mexico.

A resident of Bethesda, Mr. Crary had lived in the Washington area since 1955.

Survivors include his wife, Mildred Rodgers Crary of Bethesda; a son, Frank J. Crary III, a student at the University of California at Berkeley; and two sisters, Marion Flagg of Oakford, Pa., and Dorothy Worzel of Southport, N.C.


17, a senior at Annandale High School and a participant in school and neighborhood sports programs in Northern Virginia, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound Oct. 26 at his home in Annandale. The Northern Virginia regional medical examiner ruled the death a suicide.

Mr. Wakefield was born in Washington and had lived in Annandale for the past 15 years.

He had participated in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts and in soccer, wrestling, baseball and basketball at the Annandale Boys' Club.

For three years before this school year he attended Jefferson High School where he participated in football, wrestling, diving and track. He also had been a diver for the Lincolnia Park Recreation Club in the Northern Virginia Swim League.

He was a communicant and youth group member of St. Barnabas' Episcopal Church in Annandale.

Survivors include his parents, Robert E. and Barbara Wakefield, and one sister, Jodi Lynne Wakefield, all of Annandale, and one grandmother, Helen Reynolds Flynn of Bethlehem, Pa.


65, a Red Cross volunteer and a former president of Air Force Officers Wives clubs here and in England, died of cancer Oct. 27 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Mrs. Loberg, a resident of Annandale, was born in Farmington, Minn. She grew up there and in Tigerton, Wis. She graduated from Wisconsin State University at Stevens Point and was a schoolteacher for a year.

In 1945, she married Edwin A. Loberg, a military officer who retired from the Air Force as a full colonel. She accompanied him on various assignments in this country and abroad and the couple settled in the Washington area in 1958.

Mrs. Loberg was a Red Cross Gray Lady, or hospital volunteer, in Omaha and England. In this area, she was a Red Cross volunteer who worked at Andrews Air Force Base helping receive casualties who had been flown directly to this country from Vietnam.

From 1962 to 1963, Mrs. Loberg was president of the Air Force Officers Wives Club here.

For about two years, until she retired because of illness, she was a member of the executive committee of the Woodburn Center of the Fairfax County Mental Health Board.

In addition to her husband, of Annandale, survivors include two children, Bruce E. Loberg of St. Augustine, Fla., and John C. Loberg of Warrenton, Va.; one sister, Shirley A. Henwood of Wausau, Wis., and one grandchild. A son, Andrew A. Loberg, died in 1984.


74, a retired public relations official with the Southern Railway, died of renal failure Oct. 30 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Carbaugh was born in Stephens City, Va. He moved to Washington in 1931. He graduated from the Strayer Business College and Southeastern University, where he received a bachelor's degree in business administration.

He began his career with the Southern in 1938, and for most of the next 35 years he was in public relations. He was manager of administrative services in the railway's Washington headquarters when he retired in 1973.

His wife of 46 years, Elsie Nielsen Carbaugh, died in 1984.

Survivors include two children, Glenn Carbaugh of McLean and Carla Flug of Washington; three brothers, Julian, Claude and Robert Carbaugh, all of Stephens City, and five grandchildren.


48, the office manager for the Washington bureau of Time magazine, died of cancer Oct. 28 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Miss Friedrich, who lived in Washington, was born in Chicago. She attended Beloit College in Wisconsin and graduated from the University of Illinois.

She joined Time in New York in 1962 and worked there and in Chicago before moving to Washington as office manager of the Washington bureau in 1975. Her responsibilities included organizing logistics for Time's coverage of national political conventions and coordinating major international conferences sponsored by Time in Beirut, Hamburg and Washington.

She also did volunteer tutoring of Duke Ellington High School students at the Time bureau in Washington.

Survivors include one brother, John Michael Friedrich of Yorkville, Ill.


84, a Clinton farmer for the last 67 years and a retired bus driver with the Prince George's County public schools, died of a stroke Oct. 28 at Greater Southeast Community Hospital. He lived in Clinton.

Mr. Goddard, who was born in Clinton, grew up on his family's farm and took over its operation as a teen-ager in 1920. He became a bus driver for the Prince George's County public school system in 1940 and worked part time until he retired in 1969.

He was a member of the Farm Bureau and St. John's Catholic Church in Clinton.

His first wife, Hazel Schultz Goddard, died in 1952.

Survivors include his wife, Helen H. Goddard of Clinton; one daughter of his first marriage, Janet Sullivan of Temple Hills; three sons of his first marriage, Jesse E. Goddard Jr. and Paul Goddard, both of Clinton, and Charles Goddard of La Plata, Md.; six stepchildren; one brother, William Goddard of Clinton; 20 grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.


73, an accountant and a former police officer in Colonial Beach, Va., died of emphysema Oct. 26 at a hospital in Fort Myers, Fla.

Mr. Potter was born in South Glens Falls, N.Y., and moved to this area when he was a child. He graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and Benjamin Franklin University and received bachelor's and master's degrees in commercial science at Columbus University.

From 1935 to 1945, Mr. Potter worked at the Bank of Bethesda. He served in the Army in 1945 and 1946, then returned to this area and worked as a self-employed accountant until 1969, when he became a police officer in Colonial Beach. He moved to Cape Coral, Fla., in 1977, and worked there as an accountant since then.

His first marriage to Mary Sayler ended in divorce, and his second wife, Daisy Heath Potter, died last week.

Survivors include two daughters of his first marriage, Mary Gay Haldeman of Gainesville, Fla., and Wendi Swindler of Silver Spring; and one grandchild. A daughter of his first marriage, Carol Lynn Hartman, died in 1972.


45, the director of administration in the White House Office of Policy Development, died of cancer Oct. 26 at George Washington University Hospital. She lived in Arlington.

Miss Johnston was born in Minneapolis. She grew up in the Washington area and graduated from the University of Arizona.

She joined the White House staff in 1972. She became director of administration for the Office of Policy Development in 1982 and remained in that position until her death.

Survivors include one sister, Margaret J. Somers of Inverness, Ill., and one brother, Robert L. Johnston of Williamsville, N.Y.


72, a former teller with the National Bank of Washington and a member of the D.C. League of Women Voters, died Oct. 21 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke. She lived in Washington.

Miss Shaw was born in Pittsburgh. She moved to the Washington area in the early 1950s and worked briefly for the National Bank of Washington. She was a member of the Church of the Savior in Washington and had been a volunteer with its coffee house.

Her marriage to Woodrow McManus ended in divorce.

Survivors include one sister, Helen Shaw Roberts of Sewickley, Pa.


60, a teacher with the Montgomery County public schools since 1956, died of cancer Oct. 19 at her home in Sandy Spring.

Mrs. King was born in Union City, N.J. She graduated from Georgian Court College in New Jersey and had studied in the graduate schools of Fordham and George Washington universities.

She moved to the Washington area in 1953 and for the next three years taught at the St. Mary's Catholic Church parish school in Rockville.

Mrs. King joined the Montgomery County public school system in 1956 and was one of the first teachers assigned in 1965 to the county's adult basic education program, where she worked until her death.

She was secretary and treasurer of King's Things, Inc., a family-owned antique business.

Mrs. King had served on the board of Montgomery General Hospital. She was a member of the Questors Club and St. Peter's Catholic Church in Olney.

Survivors include her husband, Richard Edward King of Sandy Spring; two daughters, Mary Peterson of Middletown, Md., and Gail Ziminsky of Dickerson, Md.; a son, Richard Edward King Jr. of Derwood, Md.; her mother, Margaret T. Weinacht, and a brother, Richard J. Weinacht, both of Newark, Del., and six grandchildren.