Leon Wilburn, 65, an Army major who served in two wars and later became assistant principal of Spingarn High School in Washington, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 30 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Maj. Wilburn went into the Army as a lieutenant in World War II. He served in Europe and was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. He also served in the Korean War and at various posts in this country and abroad, including West Germany, France and Japan. He was stationed at Fort Belvoir when he retired in 1963.

He moved to Washington at that time and two years later became an instructor in military science in the D.C. public school system. In 1971, he was named assistant principal at Springarn. He remained there until 1981, when he retired a second time.

In 1985, Mayor Marion Barry issued a proclamation stating that June 16 of that year would be observed as "Maj. Leon Wilburn Day" in recognition of Maj. Wilburn's contributions to the school system and his military record.

Maj. Wilburn was born in Winter Haven, Fla. He graduated from Florida A&M University and went into the Army through its ROTC program. He lived in Washington from 1963 to 1984, when he moved to Alexandria.

From 1966 to 1984, he was the treasurer of the Metropolitan AME Church. He was a member of the Michigan Park Civic Association in Washington.

His first wife, Jeanie Wilburn, died in 1982.

Survivors include his wife, Velma DeWitt Wilburn of Alexandria; four children by his first marriage, Leon R. Wilburn of Teaneck, N.J., Leona W. Johnson of Hyattsville, Lynette W. Smith of Upper Marlboro and Marion D. Wilburn of Adelphi; one sister, Lillian Everett of Los Angeles; one brother, the Rev. Joseph Wilburn of Birmingham; and two grandsons.


74, former manager of Leone's Delicatessan in Langley Park and Tastee Diners in Laurel and Fairfax, died of cancer Oct. 28 at the Manor Care Nursing Home in Largo.

Mr. Perry, who lived in Bowie, was born in Pittsburgh. He moved to the Washington area in the early 1930s. He served in the Army in the Pacific during World War II and also served in the Korean War.

Before he became manager at Leone's in 1962 he was a seafood manager at the Food Fair stores. After Leone's closed in 1973 he managed Tastee Diners until he retired in the late 1970s.

His marriage to the former Sally Daily ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Mabel Elizabeth Johnson Perry of Bowie; two daughters by his first marriage, Joan Bell and Sue Loveless, both of Springfield; two sons by his second marriage, Michael Eugene Perry of Bowie and Gary Wayne Perry of Mount Airy, Md.; two sisters, Thelma Welch and Margaret Kline, both of Pittsburgh; 11 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


49, a retired State Department Foreign Service officer, died Oct. 28 at George Washington University Hospital. He had myelofibrosis, a disease of the bone marrow.

Mr. Height, who was a resident of Arlington, was born in Georgetown, Ark. He served in the Air Force from 1955 to 1959.

He moved to the Washington area in the early 1960s and joined the State Department in 1961. His Foreign Service assignments included Vietnam, Niger, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, the Philippines, Thailand, Tunisia and Pakistan.

Mr. Height was the counselor for administration at the American Embassy in Caracas when he retired this year.

Survivors include his wife, Mong Thiem Height, and a daughter, Kim Anne Height, both of Arlington; a son, Edward Joseph Height of Houston; two brothers, John Height of Buchanan, Mich., and Dwight Height of Pine Bluff, Ark., and a sister, Blanche Byers of Hamburg, Ark.


77, a former chairwoman of the Greater Washington chapter of Hadassah, died of cancer Oct. 28 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Solomon, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Russia and moved to Washington in 1913. She graduated from Eastern High School.

As a young woman she had worked for about five years at a family grocery store. She then spent about five years as a secretary at the Washington Gas Light Co. and about five more years as an executive secretary at the F.H. Smith Co. mortgage firm.

She was a member of the Beth Shalom Congregation in Silver Spring.

Her husband of 40 years, Abraham Daniel Solomon, died in 1970.

Survivors include a daughter, Maxine E. Bobys of Lexington, Ky.; a son, Dr. Herbert Solomon of Bethesda; a sister, Tessie Kabik of Silver Spring; a brother, Solomon Feldman of Washington, and eight grandchildren.


67, a retired teller with the old Suburban Trust Co. in Hyattsville, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 27 at Union Hospital in Elkton, Md.

Mrs. Hitchcock, who lived in Elkton, was born in Washington. She graduated from the Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and the Strayer Business College. She joined Suburban about 1966 and was a mail teller in the accounting department when she retired in 1984 and moved to Elkton.

She was a former member of the Colesville United Methodist Church in Silver Spring.

Her husband, Wallace Reed Hitchcock, died in 1965. Survivors include a son, John R. Hitchcock of Millersville, Md.; two brothers, the Rev. John C. Walker of Washington and Clay G. Walker of Woodbridge, Va.,; a sister, Norma W. Gulick of Elkton, and a grandson.


96, the widow of James W. McElroy, a former president of the First National Bank of Maryland, died of a stroke Oct. 29 at the Goodwin House retirement home in Alexandria, where she had lived for 12 years.

Mrs. McElroy was born in Baltimore and lived there until moving to Goodwin House. She was a graduate of the Peabody Conservatory of Music.

Her husband died in 1971. A son, Thomas W. McElroy Jr., died in 1972. Another son, Thomas A. McElroy, died in 1983.

Survivors include four grandchildren and a great-grandchild.