Homer M. Byington Jr., 79, a retired Foreign Service officer and former ambassador to Malaya, died Nov. 1 aboard the cruise ship Vista Fjord in the Atlantic after a heart attack. The ship was bound from Gibraltar to the Bahamas.

Mr. Byington, a resident of Soto Grande, Spain, was born in Naples, where his father was the U.S. vice consul. He grew up in Europe and the United States. He entered the Foreign Service after his graduation from Yale University in 1930.

During World War II, Mr. Byington was a State Department press officer in Washington and was part of the U.S. delegation to the San Francisco Conference that established the United Nations.

In the immediate postwar years he was deputy political adviser at Allied headquarters in the Mediterranean theater, and for this work he received the Medal of Freedom.

From 1948 to 1950, he was deputy chief of mission in the U.S. Embassy in Rome. For the next four years he headed the division of West European affairs in the State Department. He then went to Spain as second in command at the embassy there.

In 1957, Mr. Byington was appointed ambassador to Malaya. He remained there for four years.

Much of his career was spent in Italy. In the 1930s he had been a consular officer in Naples and after his assignment in Malaya he returned there as consul general. He stayed in that post until 1973, when he retired to Soto Grande.

Mr. Byington was a member of the Metropolitan and Chevy Chase clubs in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, the former Jane McHarg, of Washington; one son, Homer M. Byington III of New York City; two sisters, Jean Grant of Virginia and Janice Hinkle of New Canaan, Conn.; two brothers, Ward Byington of Norfolk, and James Byington of Louisiana, and two grandchildren.


86, a World War II concentration camp prisoner and former Czech diplomat who became an accountant in Washington, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 25 at her home in Washington.

Miss Manhal moved to the Washington area in 1949 when she went to work for the old Council for a Free Czechoslovakia. She earned an accounting degree at Benjamin Franklin University and in 1954 she joined H. Zinder & Associates, a Washington accounting concern. She retired there in 1981.

Miss Manhal was born to Czech parents in Munich. In 1920, she entered the foreign service of the newly independent nation of Czechoslovakia and spent the next seven years at its consulate in Munich.

She served next with the Czech legation in Sofia, Bulgaria, and held posts with Czech diplomatic missions in the Middle East. In 1937, she joined the Foreign Ministry staff in Prague.

In the late 1930s, Germany annexed parts of Czechoslovakia and occupied most of the rest of the country. In 1944, while assisting the Czech underground, Miss Manhal was arrested in Prague by German occupation authorities. In 1945, she was liberated from Ravensbruck concentration camp by Allied forces.

After nearly a year in a hospital in Prague, recovering from her ordeal, she rejoined the diplomatic corps. She was serving with the Czech consulate in Cleveland in 1948 when Czech communists, with the support of Soviet forces, took complete control of her country. At that point, she asked the United States for political asylum. She became a citizen of the United States in 1957.

Miss Manhal had been active in the American Sokol Organization, the Czechoslovak National Council of America, and the Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences.

She leaves no immediate survivors.


88, a retired biochemist at the National Institutes of Health who did research on tuberculosis, blood chemistry and metabolic responses to steroid hormones, died Oct. 27 at George Washington University Hospital of a pulmonary edema.

Dr. Knowlton, a resident of Washington, was born in Fargo, N.D. She graduated from Oberlin College in Ohio and received master's and doctoral degrees in biochemistry at the University of Chicago. She taught at Chicago before moving here about 1950 to join NIH. She retired about 1961.

Dr. Knowlton, a member of the American Chemical Society, was coauthor of about 30 papers that were published in professional journals.

Survivors include one brother, Dr. Lawrence Knowlton of Kalamazoo, Mich.


46, who founded the Columbia Pest Control company and Bogies restaurant in Columbia, died Oct. 31 at Howard County General Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Iaquinta, a resident of Columbia, was born in Detroit. He served in the Navy in the late 1950s. He started the pest control company when he moved to the Washington area in the late 1960s.

He started the restaurant, Hobbit's Glen, which is now called Bogies, about 1975. Mr. Iaquinta ran both businesses until his death.

He was a member of the Hobbit's Glen Golf Club in Columbia.

His marriage to Gloria Iaquinta ended in divorce.

Survivors include his parents, John and Gladys Iaquinta of Atlanta, Mich.; one brother, John Iaquinta of Raleigh, N.C., and two sisters, Carol Briggs of Denville, N.J., and Joann Kahn of Grand Rapids, Mich.


64, a food service supervisor at the Mayflower Hotel in the early 1980s and a resident of the Washington area since 1952, died of kidney failure Nov. 1 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mrs. Lippman, a resident of Washington, was born in New York City. In the 1960s she worked in a community action program in Fairfax. For several years she lived in France, Germany and Japan, where her husband, Joseph Lippman, was on assignment for the General Accounting Office.

Mrs. Lippman was a member of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club and the National Organization for Women.

Her marriage ended in divorce.

Survivors include three sons, Jay Lippman of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Frederick Lippman of Santa Barbara, Calif., and Kenneth Lippman of Santa Rosa, Calif.; one sister, Ruth Rosen of Milford, Conn.; one brother, Bernard Glazer of Los Angeles, and one grandchild.