Shortly after a man suspected in a series of peeping Tom shootings told police last month he had shot and killed a Southeast woman, he said that he wanted to broadcast the crime to the world, a D.C. homicide detective said yesterday.

"He said he wanted to go on TV and tell the world" about what he had done, said Detective Willie Jefferson, who questioned Ricky Brogsdale after he was arrested in connection with the peeping Tom slaying of 35-year-old Yvonne Watts.

The revelations came during a D.C. Superior Court hearing yesterday that further portrayed Brogsdale as a psychologically troubled man, setting the stage for a possible insanity defense.

Brogsdale has told police in a videotaped statement that he killed three people and shot others while he was masturbating, during a shooting rampage in Southeast.

The 26-year-old Southeast man was arrested and charged with the first-degree murder Oct. 17 of Watts, shortly after he allegedly fired a fatal shot through the open, barred window of her parents' apartment on Mississippi Avenue SE. Brogsdale claimed responsibility for the slaying, saying that Watts resembled someone who had stolen his cocaine, Jefferson said.

Brogsdale, dressed in a blue prison jump suit, remained silent and smiled occasionally during the hearing.

D.C. Superior Court Judge Truman A. Morrison III, ruling there was enough evidence for the case to be presented to the grand jury, said "Ricky Brogsdale is clearly a dangerous person and needs to be held."

During the hearing, Jefferson said that Brogsdale asked for a doctor after police brought him in for questioning. Public defender Ellen Kreitzberg, Brogsdale's attorney, raised questions about Brogsdale's psychiatric condition and argued that he was "in a very precarious mental state," when police began videotaping his rambling three-hour statement.

"Did you get him medical help?" asked Kreitzberg. "Did you take him to D.C. General? Did you call his psychiatrist?"

Brogsdale had been regularly seeing a pychiatrist since he was paroled May 11 from Lorton where he had served time for carrying a pistol without a license, according to the parole board. While on parole, he pleaded guilty during the summer to an indecent exposure charge.

Sources said yesterday they believe that Brogsdale is going to attempt to use an insanity defense.

"What else does he have?" asked one law enforcement source. Police have described Brogsdale as a "cold-hearted, calculating" man who "showed no remorse" and "enjoyed the attention he was getting" when giving his statement to police.

Kreitzberg raised questions about the propriety of the videotaped statement and whether police responded appropriately to Brogsdale's apparent request for a doctor or a lawyer.

"He said he needed a doctor," said Jefferson. "He said 'I need help. Can you help me? I think I need a lawyer.' " Police, however, did not respond to those requests, Jefferson said.

According to Jefferson's testimony, Watts was packing a bag in her bedroom about 8 p.m. when Brogsdale allegedly fired a shot, which struck her on the left side of her neck and seared her chest.

"He said he pushed the blinds open with a handkerchief and set a gun on the blind between the bars," said Jefferson. "{Watts} heard a noise and started towards the window, and he shot her."

Brogsdale allegedly told police the .22-caliber handgun recovered near the scene, which police say is the weapon used in the crime, belonged to him. "He was caught within a half-hour of the incident, he admitted that the gun was his and he admitted to officers that he had killed Miss Watts," said prosecutor June M. Jeffries.