John Francis (Jack) English, 61, a Long Island lawyer who had been a major force in national Democratic Party politics since the 1960s, died of cancer Nov. 7 at a hospital in Rockville Centre, N.Y. He lived on Long Island.
As chairman of the Democratic Party of Long Island's Nassau County since 1958, he led what became a large, progressive and prestigious political organization in the nation's second most populous state.
On the national stage, he was a deputy national chairman of the 1980 Jimmy Carter-Walter Mondale presidential campaign. He also was director and chief political tactician for then-Sen. Edmund S. Muskie (D-Maine) during his unsuccessful bid for the 1972 Democratic presidential nomination.
He was closely identified with the Kennedy family's political quests. He had been an adviser to President Kennedy and was a close adviser to Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) during his unsuccessful attempt to gain the presidential nomination in 1980.
In 1964, he helped persuade the then-attorney general, Robert F. Kennedy, to leave the Justice Department and seek a U.S. Senate seat from New York.
During the years Robert Kennedy represented New York in the Senate, Mr. English was a close party ally.
He helped Kennedy win a notable 1966 victory against Tammany Hall forces for control of the New York City party organization. Mr. English was an official in Kennedy's 1968 bid for the Democratic presidential nomination.
Mr. English was a member of the Democratic National Committee from 1968 to 1972, and was its general counsel in 1972.
He also had served on the 1972 party commission on party structure and delegate selection. He was a delegate to several national political conventions.
Mr. English was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and served with the Navy in the Southwest Pacific theater during World War II. He was a 1952 graduate of Iona College in New Rochelle, N.Y., and received a law degree from Fordham University in 1955. He was elected secretary of the Nassau County party organization in 1953, and chairman five years later.
Survivors include his wife, Regina; a daughter; two stepchildren, and a sister.
JOHN R. COUGHLIN,
42, a veteran of the Vietnam War who was believed to be the first U.S. serviceman excused from criminal charges on grounds he suffered post-traumatic stress because of combat experience, was found dead Nov. 5 at his home in Boston, The Associated Press reported.
Police found him in the one-room apartment where he lived alone. A neighbor had reported he had not seen Mr. Coughlin for more than a day.
An autopsy was performed. There was no evidence of foul play, and Suffolk County medical examiners were awaiting the results of toxicological tests, a police spokesman said.
Mr. Coughlin had joined the Marines after graduating from a Massachusetts high school in 1965. He served two tours in Vietnam and returned home as a sergeant with a Bronze Star for valor and three Purple Heart medals.
In May 1978, he went to a cemetery in Quincy, Mass., where two Marine buddies are buried, and fired a shotgun at a police station across the street.
No one was injured.
In court, a physician testified that Mr. Coughlin suffered from "traumatic war neurosis."
The case was continued while Mr. Coughlin agreed to two years of probation and counseling at the Veterans Administration center in Boston. The charges were later dropped.
In 1984, police in Holbrook, Mass., were called to a house where Mr. Coughlin was living. They found him draped in an American flag, holding a knife to his abdomen and pleading with officers to kill him. He was taken to the VA medical center again.
THOMAS ANDREW PERROTT,
94, board chairman and founder of Perrott Engineering Laboratory in Falls Church and a former Defense Department engineer, died of pneumonia Nov. 8 at Arlington Hospital.
He had lived in Arlington since moving to this area in 1941.
Mr. Perrott was born in Scotland and came to this country in 1907. He was a graduate of Northeastern University and served with the Army in France during World War I.
Before moving here, he had lived in New York and New Jersey and had worked in publishing and done public relations work for the Ford Motor Co.
In 1941 he became an engineer with the War Department, worked with the Army Navy Munitions Board, then retired from the Defense Department in 1957. He founded Perrott Labs later that year. He was the company's president until becoming semiretired in 1985.
He was a recipient of the Defense Department's exceptional civilian service award. He was a founder, past commander and life member of the Pentagon Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, a life member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, and a member of the Knights of Columbus.
His first wife, the former Etta Virginia Foley, died in 1955.
His survivors include his wife, Virginia E., of Arlington; two daughters by his first marriage, Patricia Mallon of Centreville, Va., and Virginia Clutter of Falls Church; four grandchildren, and two step-grandchildren.
ROBERT L. (BROTHER) LOVE,
73, a retired field inspector with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission who was inducted into the local Sandlot Baseball Hall of Fame in 1971, died Nov. 5 at a hospital in Baltimore. He had cancer.
Mr. Love, a Montgomery County native and former Silver Spring resident, had lived in Mayo, Md., since 1975.
He was a graduate of Sherwood High School in Sandy Spring and attended the University of Maryland, where he played on the baseball team.
He also pitched on local sandlot teams in Washington and Montgomery County.
He was a machine supervisor here with the Social Security Administration, IBM, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, before holding a similar post with the American Red Cross from 1945 to 1960.
After working in Florida for three years, he returned here and spent 12 years with the WSSC before retiring in 1975.
He was a member of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church in Beverly Beach, Md., and had belonged to the Colesville Lions Club.
His marriage to Charlotte Love ended in divorce.
Survivors include a daughter, Barbara Love Patton, and a brother, W. Ralph, both of Silver Spring; five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.
DALE HENRY FLAGG,
89, a retired lawyer with the Internal Revenue Service and former congressional consultant who lived in the Washington area from 1925 to 1976, died of an aneurysm Nov. 5 at Culpeper Memorial Hospital. He lived in Lignum, Va.
Mr. Flagg was a native of Columbia City, Ind., and served with the Army in France during World War I.
He moved here after receiving a law degree from the University of Chicago in 1925. He then worked as a government lawyer until retiring from the IRS in 1960.
For the next three years, he was an oil and tax consultant to the Joint Committee on Internal Revenue Taxation.
He spent about eight years in California before moving to Lignum in 1983.
Mr. Flagg attended St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Culpeper and was a member of Lebanon Masonic Lodge No. 7 in Washington.
His marriage to the former Jean Wright ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, the former Ann Winfrey, of Lignum; a stepson, Allen Purcell of Myrtle Beach, S.C.; a half-brother, Donald W. Staples of Columbia City; four stepgrandchildren, and two stepgreat-grandchildren.
JAMES W. HARVILL,
65, who served 20 years in the Army before working as an electrical technician with the Naval Research Laboratory from 1962 to 1983, died of cancer Nov. 7 at Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews Air Force Base.
He lived in District Heights.
Mr. Harvill, who had made his home in this area since 1936, was a native of Georgia. He entered the Army in 1942, attained a battlefield commission during World War II, and was a first lieutenant at war's end. During the war, he served with the 82nd Airborne and 4th Infantry divisions, participated in the Normandy invasion, and earned the Silver Star and Purple Heart medals.
After the war, he left the service for a short time, reenlisted, then served until retiring from active duty in 1962.
His last post was as a Signal Corps staff sergeant in Delaware. He was retired at his wartime rank.
Survivors include his wife, Beverly, of District Heights; a son, James Jr., of Elk, Wash.; two daughters, Linda Martin of Silver Spring, and Robin Harvill of Houston; two brothers, John H., of Gaithersburg, and Harold G., of Fort Myers, Fla.; three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
GERALD F. HORINE,
82, a retired Ford Motor Co. executive who had been active in church and volunteer groups in Alexandria, died of cancer Nov. 8 at Alexandria Hospital.
Mr. Horine, who had lived in Alexandria since moving to the Washington area in 1935, was a native of Hagerstown.
He was a 1928 graduate of Washington and Lee University.
He spent 32 years with Ford before retiring in 1965 as business management manager of the company's Lincoln-Mercury division in Washington. He had begun his career with the automaker as an accountant at the old Ford plant in Alexandria.
Mr. Horine had served on the vestry of Immanuel Episcopal Church on the Hill in Alexandria, and on the boards of St. Stephen's School in Alexandria and the Alexandria chapter of the American Red Cross. He was a member of the Alexandria Hospital Corp. and the Belle Haven Country Club.
Survivors include his wife, the former Jane Evans, and a daughter, Jan Horine Campbell, both of Alexandria, and two grandsons.
DOUGLAS M. MORRIS,
73, who retired as manager of a Safeway store in Rockville in the mid-1970s after more than 40 years with the grocery chain in this area, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 7 at Suburban Hospital.
Mr. Morris, who lived in Kensington, was a native of Washington. He served with the Army in Europe during World War II.
Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Mary Reddington Morris of Kensington; four sons, Douglas, of Frederick, and Joseph, Patrick and Craig, all of Gaithersburg; two daughters, Kathleen M. McBrien, and Charlotte Morris, both of Gaithersburg; two sisters, Charlotte Swann of Hollywood, Md., and Frances Martin of Takoma Park, and 14 grandchildren.
VIRGINIA DePRIEST MAJOR,
71, an area resident since the mid-1940s who had operated a typing business from her home from about 1960 to 1976, died of cancer Nov. 7 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Falls Church.
Mrs. Major was a member of Graham Road Methodist Church in Falls Church.
Before moving here, she had worked in her native Buena Vista, Va., as a paralegal clerk and had held a post in the juvenile court.
Her husband, William Watson Major, died in 1980. Survivors include two sons, Dean, of Arlington, and Watson, of Chantilly, and a sister, Marie DePriest of Buena Vista.