M. Magdalena Schoch, 90, the retired chief of the foreign law section of the Justice Department's Office of Alien Property, died of Alzheimer's disease Nov. 6 at Powhatan Nursing Home in Arlington.
Dr. Schoch, a resident of Arlington, was born in Wurzburg, Germany, and received a doctorate in law at the University of Wurzburg. She was a member of the law and political science faculty at the University of Hamburg before coming to the United States in 1934 on a fellowship to study international law.
She returned to Germany but then came to the United States as a permanent resident in 1937. She was on the Harvard Law School faculty from 1937 to 1943.
In 1945, Dr. Schoch moved to Washington and joined the staff at the Justice Department. She retired in 1966.
The author of several books on international law, she was deputy chairman of the International Law Council and a former president of the Arlington Zonta Club, a women's rights organization.
Survivors include one sister, Elisabeth Cuje of Arlington.
MARY JOAN WHITE,
54, the executive director of the Alexandria Volunteer Bureau since 1984 and a writer, teacher and federal government employe, died Nov. 8 at her home in Alexandria after a heart attack.
She was a member of the Alexandria Women's Commission and had served as president of the PTA at George Mason Elementary School in Alexandria.
Mrs. White was a graduate of Millikin University in her native Illinois and also had studied at the University of Maryland.
After moving to the Washington area in 1957, she worked three years for the National Security Agency. She then taught English at Washington Irving Intermediate School in Springfield from 1960 to 1962. After that, she was a free-lance writer, contributing articles to such publications as The Wall Street Journal.
She had been a Republican Party precinct captain in Alexandria. From 1977 to 1983, she was an administrative aide to Alexandria City Council member Robert L. Calhoun.
Survivors include her husband, Gordon E. White, and one daughter, Sarah Elizabeth White, both of Alexandria; two sons, Navy Ens. Gordon O'Neal White of Newport, R.I., and David M. White of Alexandria, and her mother, Ruth E. Briggs of Atlanta, Ill.
GEORGE M. STONE,
77, a retired owner of an Alexandria truck equipment firm and a past board chairman of the National Truck Equipment Association, died of a heart ailment Nov. 9 at Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.
Mr. Stone was born in Alexandria. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.
After the war he became a partner with Prevo Automotive Center, an automotive body repair firm. In the mid-1960s, he bought an International Harvester truck dealership, which he operated for the next eight years. He started the Stone Truck Equipment Co. about 1974. He retired in 1982.
Mr. Stone was a past president of the Alexandria Civitan Club and a member of the Reserve Officers Association, the United States Auto Club and the D.C. Air Legion, an organization of private pilots. He also was a past district commander of the U.S. Power Squadron.
Survivors include his wife, Eloise R. Stone, and one son, George E. Stone, both of Alexandria; one sister, Virginia Jezierski of Arlington, and two grandchildren.
WILLIAM L. SULZBACHER,
74, a microbiologist who was former chief of meat research at the Agricultural Research Service in Beltsville, died of renal failure Nov. 4 at his home in Fulton, Md.
Mr. Sulzbacher was born in Braddock, Pa., and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh. He was a draftsman at the Philadelphia Navy Yard during World War II.
After the war he moved to the Washington area and joined the Agricultural Research Service. He became chief of meat research in 1954 and retired in 1971.
Mr. Sulzbacher was a specialist in the growth of microorganisms at low temperatures, and he published more than 75 scientific papers on that subject.
He was a former president of the Washington chapters of the American Society for Microbiology and the Institute of Food Technology, a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a founder of the American Meat Science Association.
He also served as the U.S. representative to the Organization of European Meat Research Workers and in that capacity attended several meetings in Europe and served on international boards of directors.
In retirement, Mr. Sulzbacher was a private consultant.
He was a former vice president of the Candlelight Concert Society of Columbia.
Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Makara Sulzbacher, and one son, Louis Sulzbacher, both of Fulton, and one sister, Dorothy Segall of Pittsburgh.
RALPH I. EVANS,
73, a retired official of the Treasury Department's Bureau of Public Debt and a lifelong resident of the Washington area, died of respiratory failure Nov. 9 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
Mr. Evans, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in Washington. He graduated from Western High School and the University of Maryland.
During World War II he served in the Navy in the Pacific, and he remained in the Navy Reserves until 1962 when he retired as a lieutenant commander.
He had worked at the Treasury Department for 35 years when he retired in 1970 as manager of the surrender section in the Bureau of Public Debt.
Mr. Evans was a member of the Congressional Country Club and an usher at All Saints Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase.
Survivors include his wife, Doris Robertson Evans of Chevy Chase, and one sister, Jeanne Shuttleworth of Silver Spring.
EMILY ELIZABETH HOFFMANN,
5, a resident of Herndon, died Nov. 10 at the Children's Hospital National Medical Center in Washington. She had cerebral palsy.
Emily was born in Washington.
Survivors include her parents, Deane and Janet MacQuilken Hoffman, and one sister, Sara Ruth Hoffmann, all of Herndon, and four grandparents, John and Gertrude Gilday MacQuilken of Bedford, Mass., and Conrad R. and Vera Henning Hoffmann of Centerville, Mass.