Robert Maxwell Richman, 72, a poet and teacher who from the late 1940s through the mid-1960s played a vital role in bringing hundreds of artistic performances and exhibitions, concerts, workshops, readings and lectures to what was considered then a culturally bereft Washington, died Nov. 10 at a hospital in North Myrtle Beach, S.C., after a stroke.
Mr. Richman founded and directed the Institute of Contemporary Arts, a nonprofit cultural and educational organization that brought T.S. Eliot, Martha Graham, Arnold Toynbee, Robert Penn Warren, Joan Miro, Frank Lloyd Wright, Aaron Copland, theologian Paul Tillich and scores of other great names to the nation's capital.
He got the idea for the institute while teaching at the University of Michigan, when he became convinced that the various endeavors in arts and humanities should be experienced not as separate entities but as part of a single fabric of contemporary culture.
That notion was subsequently supported by a number of philanthropic foundations, and in 1947 Mr. Richman came to Washington and opened the Institute of Contemporary Arts. It closed in 1964 after foundation support ended.
During the 17 years of its existence, the institute sponsored such activities as concerts that featured music from the 14th century Maltese Court, poetry readings by Robert Frost and lectures by physicist Harold Urey and philosopher Paul Weiss.
It arranged exhibitions of painting, sculpture and drawing. It brought nearly 150 artists and writers from all over the world here as visiting professors and fellows for lectures and discussions, not only in the Washington area but also around the country.
At the institute's 10th anniversary observance in 1957, Walter Lippmann observed that its efforts could "break the political monopoly in Washington and turn it into a thoroughly civilized city in which to live."
With original headquarters on New York Avenue NW, the institute moved in 1959 to Meridian House on Crescent Place NW.
A native of Connersville, Ind., Mr. Richman graduated from Franklin College and earned a master's degree in English at Western Michigan University. Later he wrote poetry, taught and studied for a doctorate at the University of Michigan, where in 1943 he received the Hopwood Poetry Award.
Mr. Richman remained in Washington after the institute closed in 1964. He continued to write poetry, some of which was published privately. About three years ago he moved to North Myrtle Beach.
Survivors include his wife, Maida Richman of North Myrtle Beach; a son, Michael Tingley Richman of Takoma Park; two daughters, Robin Richman of Washington and Renn Buekema of North Myrtle Beach, and three grandchildren.
DR. MARTIN JOHN VALASKE, 59, a retired captain in the Navy Medical Corps and a former commander of the Navy's regional medical center at Great Lakes, Ill., died Nov. 9 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital of vasculitis, a disease of the blood vessels. He lived in Annapolis.
Since retiring from the Navy in 1979, Dr. Valaske had been on the medical staff of George Washington University Hospital and had conducted a private practice in medical consultations on alcoholism and other chemical dependencies.
A native of Kenosha, Wis., Dr. Valaske graduated from Marquette University, where he also earned a degree in medicine. He joined the Navy in 1955 and over the years had assignments at sea and at various naval facilities, including Washington. He was commander of the regional medical center in Great Lakes from 1976 until he retired in 1979.
Dr. Valaske was a member of the American Medical Association, the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of the State of Maryland, the Anne Arundel County Medical Society, and the American Medical Society on Alcoholism and Other Drug Dependencies. He was a member of the D.C. Medical Society and a past chairman of its committee on impaired physicians. He also was editor emeritus of Pathologists, the journal of the College of American Pathologists.
Survivors include his wife, JoAnn Juraska Valaske of Annapolis; one daughter, Nancy Valaske of Rockville; two sons, Joseph Valaske of Putney, Vt., and Martin Valaske of Annapolis; three sisters, Kathryn Valaske of Kenosha, Amy Herrmann of Columbia Station, Ohio, and Mary Chapman of Marquette, Mich., and a grandson.
VINCENT J. HANRAHAN, 87, a retired analyst with the Office of Naval Intelligence and the Defense Intelligence Agency, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Nov. 9 at the Meridian Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Silver Spring.
Mr. Hanrahan, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in Buffalo. He served in the Navy in both World War I and World War II, and he remained in the Navy Reserve until 1962 when he retired as a lieutenant commander. He was a graduate of Notre Dame University.
Before moving to the Washington area in 1951, he was a cartographer and geodetic engineer in Latin America with Standard Oil of Venezuela, the Inter-American Geodetic Survey and Brock & Weymouth, an aerial mapping company.
Mr. Hanrahan joined the Office of Naval Intelligence when he first came to Washington and he transferred to the DIA after it was organized in 1961. He retired in 1963.
He then worked in Mexico for a year distributing supplies for the Catholic Relief Service. He also was an escort interpreter with the language services division of the State Department. In 1973 Mr. Hanrahan received the Notre Dame Club of Washington's Man of the Year Award.
He was a member of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Silver Spring and had been a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Silver Spring and the Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington.
His wife, Mary Brooks Hanrahan, died in 1983.
Survivors include a daughter, Dianne Coughlan of Rockville; two sons, Vincent B. Hanrahan of Ashton, Md., and Lawrence A. Hanrahan of Washington; two sisters, Ursula and Jane Hanrahan, both of Silver Creek, N.Y.; seven grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
RICHARD C. GRANKE, 63, a consultant on radiology and a former radiological physicist at George Washington University Hospital and Georgetown University Hospital, died of cancer Nov. 11 at his home in Silver Spring.
Mr. Granke was born in La Crosse, Wis. He served in the Navy in the Pacific in World War II, and graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
He worked at the University of Pittsburgh hospital before moving here and joining the radiology department of George Washington University Hospital. He later worked at Georgetown University Hospital. Since 1975, he had been a private consultant, and from 1975 to 1977 he also taught at Hood College in Frederick, Md.
Mr. Granke was a member of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine and was certified by the American Board of Radiology. He was an elder at Colesville Presbyterian Church.
Survivors include his wife, Mable Granke of Silver Spring; four daughters, Virginia Granke of Pittsburgh, Jeanette Granke of Clinton, Md., Christine Casey of Chesapeake, Va., and Nancy LaFontaine of Landover; two sons, Bradley Granke of Silver Spring and Richard Granke of Point-of-Rocks, Md.; his mother, Vivian Granke of La Crosse; a sister, Bernice Anderson, also of La Crosse, and 12 grandchildren.
GEORGE J. SCHULLER, 76, a Washington real estate investor who also had been a government economist, died Nov. 8 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Washington. He had multiple myeloma.
Mr. Schuller, a resident of Rockville, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from New York University, where he became an instructor in economics, and he did graduate work at Columbia University.
He moved to the Washington area about 1940. He worked for the old Office of Price Administration and served in the Navy in the Atlantic in World War II. In the 1960s he retired from the reserves as a lieutenant commander.
After the war he operated the Schuller Real Estate Co. and he remained in real estate for the rest of his life. In the late 1950s and early 1960s he also worked for the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the National Science Foundation. In the early 1970s he worked for the old Cost of Living Council.
Mr. Schuller was a past treasurer of the National Economists Club.
Survivors include his wife, Esther Epstein Schuller of Rockville; two stepsons, Paul Epstein of Stillwater, Okla., and Michael Epstein of Wheaton, and a sister, Beatrice Cohen of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
MICHAEL HENRY LADD, 46, the regulatory relations manager with the Washington office of the GTE Corp., a telephone and electronics firm, died Nov. 8 at the Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Gaithersburg. He had cancer.
Mr. Ladd, who lived in Potomac, was born in Villa Park, Ill. He graduated from Marquette University. He served in the Air Force from 1962 to 1965.
He went to work for GTE in Sun Prairie, Wis., in 1968. He transferred to the Washington area from Connecticut in 1977.
Mr. Ladd was a Boy Scout and Cub Scout leader and a member of the men's clubs of Gonzaga College High School and the St. John's College High School. He was a member of Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church in Potomac.
Survivors include his wife, Jeannine Ladd, and four children, Patrick, Daniel, Matthew and Jeannine Ladd, all of Potomac; his mother, Genevieve Ladd of Villa Park, and two sisters, Jeanne Ladd of Chicago and Margaret Morford of Alpena, Mich.
EDWARD S. LAZOWSKA, 73, a retired lawyer at the Justice Department, where he was a specialist in legal jurisdiction over federal lands, died of cancer Nov. 11 at his home in Cocoa Beach, Fla.
Mr. Lazowska was born in New Bedford, Mass. He moved to Washington in 1933 and went to work at the War Department. At the same time he studied law at George Washington University, earning his law degree in 1938. He worked briefly at the old Board of Economic Warfare before joining the Justice Department in 1942.
During World War II, Mr. Lazowska was assigned to the criminal division at Justice and there he tried cases involving national security matters. In 1945, he transferred to the department's Office of Legal Counsel and in 1948 he was named a special assistant to former attorney general Tom Clark.
In the early 1950s, he began working on matters involving legal jurisdiction over federal lands. He continued in that field until 1975, when he retired.
A former resident of Washington and Bethesda, he moved to Cocoa Beach when he retired.
Mr. Lazowska was a member of the D.C. Bar and the U.S. Supreme Court Bar. He was a founding member of the River Road Unitarian Church and a member of the Columbia Yacht Club. He was an amateur radio operator and his call signs were WA3 FKV and WA4 AIY.
Survivors include his wife, Gene Delano Lazowska of Cocoa Beach; two children, Edward Delano Lazowska of Seattle, and Patricia Lazowska Niehans of Moraga, Calif.; three sisters, Jennie Lazowski of Washington, Helen Hogan of Silver Spring, and Lee Ponichtera of New Bedford, and three grandchildren.
KENNETH E. LAWTON, 88, a former banker who was the deputy director of the Office of Price Stabilization during the Korean war, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 11 at Doctors' Hospital of Northern Virginia.
Mr. Lawton served as head of the rationing division of the Office of Price Administration during World War II. After the war he was general manager of Phoenix Commercial Corp., a Washington area finance company.
When the Office of Price Stabilization closed in 1953 he became an independent business consultant until he retired in 1957.
Mr. Lawton, who lived in McLean, was born in Marion, Ind. He served in the Army during World War I and graduated from the University of Chicago where he also earned a master's degree in business administration. Before moving to the Washington area in 1942, he was vice president of Union Investment Co. in Detroit and manager of CIT Financial Corp. in Chicago.
His marriage to the former Gertrude Van Keulen ended in divorce.
Survivors include a son, Richard S. Lawton of Arlington; a brother, Dr. Stanley E. Lawton of Glendora, Calif., and a granddaughter.