Richard David Stichler, 48, a retired lieutenant colonel in the Air National Guard who later worked as a logistics manager with the Naval Air Systems Command, died of cancer Nov. 11 at the University of Maryland Hospital Cancer Center in Baltimore.

Col. Stichler, who lived in Columbia, Md., was born in Mansfield, Ohio. After college he joined the Air Force and served seven years on active duty, including duty as a pilot in Vietnam during the war there. He received a Distinguished Flying Cross with one Oak Leaf Cluster and the Air Medal with six Oak Leaf Clusters.

He served full time in the Air National Guard in California until 1982, when he moved to Columbia and retired in 1983. During this period he was a specialist in the use of C130 cargo aircraft in such operations as dropping fire retardants on forest fires. He began working at the Naval Air Systems Command upon his retirement from the National Guard.

Col. Stichler is survived by his wife, Jill Stichler of Columbia; one son, Richard J. Stichler, an Air Force enlisted man stationed at March Air Force Base, Calif.; two daughters, Leslie Anne Stichler of San Diego and Lisa Hylton Stichler of Columbia; his mother, Katherine Stichler of Camarillo, Calif., and two brothers, Ronald A. Stichler of San Diego and Robert L. Stichler of Camarillo.


75, a retired supervisory auditor with the General Accounting Office, from which he retired in 1975 with 29 years of service, died Nov. 12 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington. He had a brain tumor.

Mr. Jaffe was born in New York City and attended the City College of New York. He moved to the Washington area in 1946 and joined the GAO. He was a member of Temple Emanuel Congregation in Kensington.

His wife, Molly Jaffe, died in 1985.

Survivors include one son, James M. Jaffe, and one daughter, Ellen Jaffe, both of Washington, and two grandsons.


89, a longtime Washington area resident who attended the St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 13 at the home of her daughter in Arlington.

Mrs. Poulos was born in Greece. She moved to the United States in 1916 and lived in Rhode Island and Boston before moving to the Washington area in 1959.

Her husband, Peter Poulos, died in 1956. Survivors include one daughter, Athena Poulos of Arlington; one brother, Nicholas Georakopoulos of Athens, and one sister, Elene Demeters of Boston.


92, a retired master mechanic with the Navy Department, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 12 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Minot was born in Dallas. He grew up in the Washington area. During World War I, he served in the Army. He went to work at the Naval Gun Factory in 1919. He was a master mechanic with the building and trade shop at the Washington Navy Yard when he retired in 1957.

His wife, Virginia Minot, and his son, James Porter Minot Jr., both died in 1978. Survivors include one grandson and one great-granddaughter.


89, a former area nurse who had been a member of Grace Reformed United Church of Christ in Washington, died of pneumonia Nov. 13 at the Homewood Retirement Center in Frederick.

Mrs. Adams, who was a native of Corriganville, Md., lived in the Washington area for 60 years before moving to the Homewood Center, where she had lived since 1984.

Mrs. Adams, a registered nurse, was a 1922 graduate of the nursing program at the old Western Maryland Hospital in Cumberland. From 1924 to 1945, she worked at several Washington hospitals, including Providence and St. Elizabeths hospitals and the old Doctors and Sibley Memorial hospitals.

Her first husband, Earle Rodeffer, died in the early 1930s. Her second husband, James Rollin Adams, died in 1956. Her survivors include a daughter by her second marriage, Rollina Sadarangani of Glen Echo, and a grandchild.


76, a retired engineer with the D.C. Department of Highways and Traffic and a retired commander in the Navy reserves, died of cancer Nov. 12 at his home in Washington. He also maintained a residence in Sherwood Forest, Md.

Mr. Millard was born in Laurel. He graduated from George Washington University.

During World War II, he served in the Navy. He worked for E.I. du Pont de Nemours Inc. in New England and Delaware in the 1950s.

He returned to the Washington area in 1962 and went to work for the D.C. Highway Department. He retired from the Navy reserves and from D.C. government in 1976. He was a member of the Army & Navy Club.

His first wife, Nancy Dent Gough Millard, died in 1954.

Survivors include his wife, Katherine Dare Millard of Washington; two children by his first marriage, Sarah Millard Coulter of Carlisle, Mass., and Navy Capt. August B. Millard Jr. of Alexandria; one stepdaughter, Dare Myers Hartwell of Washington, and five grandchildren.


59, a retired Foreign Service officer who had worked in the State Department's freedom of information office since 1982, died of cancer Nov. 14 at Georgetown University Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Wilson, who had made his home here since 1957, was a native of Miami. He was a graduate of the University of Florida and an Army veteran. He joined the Foreign Service in 1957, and held economics and commercial assignments in Costa Rica, Okinawa, Japan, the Philippines, and Malaysia. His last Foreign Service posting was as a commercial counselor in Madrid.

Survivors include his wife, Maria, two daughters, Alexandra and Karen Wilson, and his parents, Dawson and Ruth Wilson, all of Arlington, and a brother, J. Dale Wilson of Glendale, Calif.