The manager of Celebrity Hall, a go-go music club where a teen-ager was stabbed during a concert early Sunday, told emergency dispatchers in three separate telephone calls that morning that the incident occurred outside the building, according to a transcript of 911 recordings obtained yesterday.

However, police and the owner of the hall said Monday the stabbing of 15-year-old Otis Nelson occurred inside the hall as a go-go concert ended. The location of the stabbing and the handling of it by Celebrity Hall officials have emerged as crucial elements in a police investigation of whether club officials tried to cover up the stabbing.

Celebrity Hall and other District go-go music clubs, whose late-night concerts attract thousands of teen-agers each weekend, have been inundated by controversy this year. Numerous incidents of violence have been reported outside the halls as crowds leave the concerts, which often do not end until after 3 a.m.

The Washington Post reported yesterday that hall security guards may have failed to report the stabbing and then later denied that it had occurred. In light of the 911 transcripts, police sources said yesterday they believe police investigators have a "strong case" to charge hall officials with obstructing justice.

Police said they canceled three requests for an ambulance Sunday after they were unable to find any evidence of a stabbing or any other crime outside the hall. They also said guards initially were reluctant to let them inside the hall to investigate.

On Monday, club owner Andrew Richeson initially said the hall's manager, his son Victor, called an ambulance three times after the stabbing and made no attempt to hide that the incident happened inside the Northwest club. Later, after transcripts of 911 tapes provided a different picture, Richeson expressed surprise. "I just told Victor to call the ambulance," Richeson said last night. "I didn't know what type of message he gave them. I didn't know he said that."

According to the transcripts, "a man first called dispatchers at 3:15 a.m., saying he was calling from 3401 Georgia Ave., the hall's address. "Somebody outside got stabbed," the caller said. "Somebody back there near the alley got stabbed."

Minutes later at 3:21, a male caller again asked for an ambulance and repeated that there had been a stabbing behind the building. On the third call, at 3:26, the caller asked for an ambulance again and added, "I had to bring the guy inside because it's getting cold out there."

Richeson said Monday that dispatchers were told to come behind the building because of heavy traffic on Georgia Avenue.

A fourth call was made at 3:32 a.m. by a woman who told dispatchers "a young man got hurt. I think he has a small cut." When asked by a dispatcher if the injured man was in the rear of the hall, she asked, "Pardon me?" and the call was terminated.

None of the callers identified themselves or Celebrity Hall.

An ambulance arrived after the fourth call, and brought Nelson, who was stabbed once in the back with an unknown weapon, to Washington Children's Hospital, where he is in good condition. He was listed in serious condition Sunday. Police said they do not have a suspect in the stabbing.

Andrew Richeson said yesterday that neither he nor any of the 11 private security guards on duty during the concert has been contacted by police investigators. He reiterated his charge that police are "doing anything they can to close me down."

Sunday's stabbing is the latest in a series of shootings and stabbings outside District go-go music clubs this year. Last month, 17-year-old Wendell Heard was fatally stabbed outside Celebrity Hall as he left a weekend concert. Neighbors have demanded the hall be closed, and D.C. council member Frank Smith Jr. (D-Ward 1), whose ward includes Celebrity Hall, has called it a "magnet for trouble."

Smith has introduced legislation to bar minors from public halls after 11:30 p.m. on weekdays and 1 a.m. on weekends. Nelson's stabbing, which has led the council to have Smith's bill debated as emergency legislation, occurred as a result of a fight among 10 teen-agers inside the hall near the end of the concert, police said yesterday.

Nelson said Monday that friends carried him into a hall bathroom to attend to his wound. Richeson said he and Celebrity Hall guards administered first aid to Nelson, and brought him to a chair near a hall entrance while awaiting the ambulance. "We did everything we could," Richeson said.

Police sources said that 4th District officers, after receiving three calls about a stabbing in an alley behind the hall that proved false, asked a hall guard if anyone had been shot, stabbed or injured inside the hall.

The guard, sources said, said there had not been a stabbing and tried to prevent police from entering the hall by closing a door. Officers noticed a wounded teen-ager sitting in a chair near the door and pushed past the guard, according to sources.

Richeson's attorney, Howard Ross, said yesterday that the police explanation of the stabbing was "completely bogus."

All hall doors were open as the concert ended, he said, to let the crowd flow out easily. "Their explanation just doesn't hold water."

Citing repeated incidents of trouble, the city Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs suggested last year that Celebrity Hall's operating license be revoked. The hall appealed the recommendation to the city's Board of Appeals and Review, which decided that the hall should stay open because it had made "good faith efforts to be a good neighbor."

The board's decision has not been made final. Richeson said he expects a final board vote to be taken no later than January. Board officials could not be reached for comment yesterday.

"Prior to this {Nelson's stabbing}, Celebrity Hall was hanging on the edge of a cliff," a high-ranking police official said yesterday. "This incident has caused them to lose their grip and fall into the pit."