Lee Nicholson Martin, 71, a retired foreign correspondent for U.S. News and World Report, died of cancer Nov. 19 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Martin was born in Kellogg, Idaho. She grew up in Spokane, Wash., and graduated from the University of Washington. She began her career in journalism at the Tacoma (Wash.) News-Tribune.

In 1939 and 1940, she worked for The Associated Press in Copenhagen. When the Nazis occupied Denmark, she returned to this country and worked for Time, Newsweek and the Office of War Information. When World War II ended, she joined her husband, Robert P. Martin, in China, where he was a journalist.

In 1949, with the communists gaining dominance in China, she moved to Japan and her husband joined her the next year. In 1953, the Martins joined the staff of U.S. News. Mrs. Martin specialized in business and economic issues, but she also covered politics and general news and her assignments took her all over East Asia, including Vietnam and Indonesia.

In 1965, the Martins left Japan and settled in Washington when Mr. Martin became foreign editor of U.S. News. Mrs. Martin resigned at that time. But she accompanied her husband to Moscow when he was stationed there from 1979 to 1981.

Mrs. Martin was a member of the Woman's National Democratic Club.

In addition to her husband, of Washington, survivors include two children, Dr. Brooks Martin of South Lake Tahoe, Calif., and Diana Seaward of Denman, British Columbia.


40, a partner in IRC Group Inc., a consulting firm specializing in international affairs, died Nov. 18 at a hospital in New York City after a heart attack.

A resident of Washington, Mr. Sharpless was stricken at the United Nations, where he had gone on a business trip.

In addition to his work with the IRC Group, he was executive director of the Council of American Ambassadors, a policy research group whose membership is drawn from past and present U.S. ambassadors, and of the U.S.-New Zealand Council, a private organization that aims to promote better relations between the two countries.

A native of LaGrange, Ill., Mr. Sharpless had lived in Washington since 1966. He graduated from American University and earned a master's degree in political science at the London School of Economics. He served in the D.C. National Guard.

He worked for the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, the Foreign Policy Association and the United Nations Association before joining the IRC Group in 1981.

Mr. Sharpless was a member of the board of directors of the Foreign Student Service Council.

Survivors include his mother, Helene Sharpless of Peoria Heights, Ill.; one sister, Joan Welton of Morton, Ill., and one brother, Jack Sharpless of San Francisco.


73, a retired Army lieutenant colonel and a former official of the Agency for International Development, died of emphysema Nov. 17 at his home in Silver Spring.

Col. Roberts was born in Nashville, Tenn. He graduated from Fisk University in Tennessee. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe and the Pacific and later had assignments in Japan, Korea, Germany and the Philippines. He retired in 1961.

For the next six years, he worked in Chicago and Columbus, Ohio. He joined AID in 1967 and was assigned to Korea, where he was an excess property officer. He retired for the second time in 1973 and moved to the Washington area.

His military decorations include the Bronze Star.

Col. Roberts was a past president of Chapter 260 of the National Association of Retired Federal Employees and he was a member of the Montgomery County Stroke Club, a senior citizens' organization.

Survivors include his wife of 31 years, Augusta I. Roberts, and a daughter, Monica C. Roberts Wilson, both of Silver Spring; his mother, Susie Roberts of Nashville, and three brothers and three sisters.


81, a government secretary for more than 30 years before retiring in 1963, died Nov. 18 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke. She lived in Washington.

She had worked for the Justice Department and then the Home Loan Bank Board. Mrs. Stewart, who moved here in 1915, was a native of St. Joseph, Mich.

She had been a member of the Simpson-Hamline United Methodist Church in Washington. She also had been a member of the church altar guild.

Her husband, Joseph W. Stewart, died in 1967. She leaves no immediate survivors.


75, who was an engineer with the Navy's Research and Development Center for about 20 years before retiring in 1977, died Nov. 17 at his home in Falls Church. He had cancer.

Mr. Morrison, who moved here in 1936, was a native of Maine. He worked here for a grocery chain and in construction before receiving his engineering degree from George Washington University and joining the Navy Department.

He was a member of Cherrydale Methodist Church in Arlington. A Mason, he was a member of Kena Temple.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Fabel, of Falls Church; four brothers, Cleveland, Verl, Erland and Lance, all of Maine, and two sisters, Ona Morrison of Massachusetts, and Dwina Smith of Maine.


85, a member of the Mount Carmel Baptist Church in Washington for 59 years, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 10 at Howard University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Singleton was born in Rock Castle, Va. She moved here in 1927 and joined the church the following year. She had been a deaconess, usher and missionary.

Mrs. Singleton was a member of the Women's Christian Works, Church Women United, the Progressive Baptist Convention and the Baptist Convention of D.C. and Vicinity. She also had served on the board of the Phyllis Wheatley Branch of the YWCA.

Her husband, Willoughby T. Singleton, died in 1956. Survivors include a sister, Jane Clark of Altavista, Va., and a brother, the Rev. Charles L. Tyler of Powhatan, Va.


47, a self-employed video producer and consultant and a former production manager, editor and chief photographer at Capital Broadcast News here, died of pneumonia and cardiac arrest Nov. 14 at the Washington Adventist Hospital.

Mr. Brewer had been a video producer and consultant with his wife Sharon since 1981. They operated the business from their home in Silver Spring.

He came to the Washington area in 1978 to work for Capital Broadcast News, an independent television news service for independent and network-affiliated television stations. His assignments included coverage of the White House, Congress and national political conventions.

A native of Germany, Mr. Brewer lived in Morocco in 1956 and 1957 before moving to Portland, Ore., in 1958. He was a graduate of Harpur College in Binghamton, N.Y. He was a television production assistant at the State University of New York at Binghamton from 1965 to 1968 and production manager, producer and senior director at WVIA-TV in Scranton, Pa., from 1968 to 1978.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by his mother, Blanche H. Staples of Ogunquit, Maine, and a sister, Marena Bragg of Staatsburg, N.Y.