An obituary yesterday about Clifton S. Hardy, 91, a retired businessman and government official who died last Wednesday, failed to include among his survivors a sister, Nettie H. Vance of Kensington. (Published 11/25/87)

Robert B. Hudson, 82, a retired senior vice president of National Educational Television and a 1979 recipient of a George Foster Peabody Award, died of pulmonary failure Nov. 22 at his home in Chevy Chase.

A former town administrator, university professor and broadcast executive, Mr. Hudson joined NET in Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1953. He later transferred to New York City, where he was working when he retired in 1970.

He chaired the 1952 UNESCO conference on television and also served as vice chairman of the U.S. national conference on UNESCO. Over the years, he also had been a consultant on mass communications to the government of India, the Fund for Adult Education, the U.S. State Department and the U.S. Information Agency.

After moving to the Washington area in 1970, he was a consultant to the Academy for Educational Development and the Gerontological Society of America. In 1972 and 1973, he was a senior fellow with the East-West Center in Honolulu. He was the author of works dealing with communications.

Mr. Hudson, who lived in Reston before moving to Chevy Chase in 1986, was a native of Bland, Va. He was a 1928 graduate of Hampden-Sydney College and received a master's degree in education at Columbia University.

He was an assistant town manager in New Jersey from 1931 to 1935, then spent a decade in the Denver area where he became executive secretary of the Denver Adult Education Council. He was also organizer and director of the Rocky Mountain Radio Council.

He was director of editorial and opinion broadcasts with the CBS network in New York from 1945 to 1949. He then spent four years as broadcasting director and associate professor of journalism at the University of Illinois until joining NET.

In addition to the Peabody Award, Mr. Hudson was a recipient of a 1970 award from the National Association of Educational Broadcasters.

His wife, the former Joan Loram, died in 1973. Survivors include two sons, Dr. Michael C. Hudson of Chevy Chase and Dr. Robert B. Hudson III of Newton, Mass.; one sister, Margaret H. Williamson of Tuckahoe, N.Y., and two grandchildren.


70, a retired Marine colonel and combat pilot who later became manager of marketing and business development for Honeywell Inc. here, died Nov. 23 at his home in McLean after a heart attack.

Col. Herring was born in Rocky Mount, N.C. He attended Clemson University and graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1941. During World War II he was commander of a Marine fighter squadron in the South Pacific.

After the war he attended and later taught at the Naval War College. During the Korean War he commanded a reconnaissance flight group.

Col. Herring retired from the Marine Corps in 1961 as director of officer and enlisted promotions, assigned in Washington. His military decorations included the Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star, six Air Medals and the Purple Heart.

He was with Honeywell from 1961 until he retired a second time in 1983.

He was a member of Chesterbrook United Methodist Church in McLean.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Herring of McLean; two daughters, June Hunnicutt of Arlington and Diane Mahoney of Greensboro, N.C., and five grandchildren.


91, a former adviser and auditor for the government of Liberia, a businessman in Haiti and an auditor for the federal government in Washington, died of pneumonia Nov. 18 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mr. Hardy, a native Washingtonian, spent most of the 25 years after World War II overseas, initially in Haiti where he established some of that nation's first coin-operated laundries.

Later he became chief auditor of Liberia, and he helped write the country's income tax laws. In the late 1950s he was the Paris-based European correspondent for the Associated Negro Press. In 1960 he returned to Liberia where he served as an adviser to the government on export-import banking issues. He also helped establish a French-language school in Monrovia.

In 1970 Mr. Hardy retired and returned to the Washington area. He was living in Hyattsville at the time of his death.

A graduate of the old M Street High School, Mr. Hardy attended the University of Illinois, then served in the Army as a billeting officer in France during World War I. He was fluent in French and his duties involved finding quarters in France for U.S. troops.

After the war he graduated from the University of Chicago. During the 1920s and 1930s he worked for the city's board of health as a supervisor and head of the contagious disease clinic.

During World War II, Mr. Hardy returned to the Washington area where he was supervising auditor for government dormitories in the Public Buildings Administration.

He was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha chapters in Washington, Champaign, Ill., and Monrovia.

His first wife, Edythe Hardy, died in the mid-1950s. His marriage to Adelaide Hardy ended in divorce. His third wife, Mary Hardy, died in the late 1960s.

Survivors include two daughters by his first wife, Betty Williams and Edith Hardy, both of Chicago; one grandson, and one great-grandson.


56, a vice president for engineering and research with the Brick Institute of America and an authority on brick and masonry structural engineering, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 15 at D.C. General Hospital. He was stricken while attending the Redskins football game at RFK Stadium earlier that day.

Mr. Yorkdale, who lived in Reston, was a native of Washington and a graduate of Coolidge High School. He attended George Washington University and became a registered professional engineer. He served in the Air Force during the Korean War.

From 1949 to 1958, he worked for the Washington Gas Light Co., becoming a survey party chief in the engineering department. He then spent two years in New Jersey as a sales engineer with a concern selling laminated timber.

In 1960, he returned here and joined what was then the Structural Clay Products Institute. It later became the Brick Institute of America.

Mr. Yorkdale was a fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers. He was a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and had served on a committee for the preservation of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara L. Yorkdale, and one daughter, Lynne A. Yorkdale, both of Fairfax, and two brothers, Paul H. Yorkdale of Vienna, and Keith E. Yorkdale of Silver Spring.


41, an expert on child abuse and neglect who was a planning and evaluation manager for the handicapped division of the East Coast Migrant Headstart Project, died Nov. 17 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He had AIDS.

Mr. Murphy, a resident of Washington until moving to Bladensburg two weeks ago, was born in Farmersville, Ill. He graduated from Quincy (Ill.) College, and earned a master's degree in social work at Virginia Commonweatlh University. He also studied theology at St. Louis University.

Mr. Murphy, who was a social worker and administrator in Headstart programs in Illinois in the early 1970s, moved to Richmond in 1976 and went to work on child abuse and neglect problems for the Virginia government. He also was a training coordinator for child abuse problems for the American Public Welfare Association.

He moved to Washington about 1977 and until 1981 he worked for the Commonwealth of Virginia in Falls Church. From 1982 to 1986, he was a consultant on child abuse to the Northern Virginia Community College in Alexandria. He joined the East Coast Headstart project in 1986.

From 1978 until his death, Mr. Murphy also worked at the Falls Church campus of the University of Virginia, teaching courses in identification of child abuse.

From 1982 to 1985, he was a volunteer counselor for the Gay Men's Counseling Collective in Washington.

Mr. Murphy's survivors include his parents, Carl and Mickey Murphy of Farmersville, and four sisters, Linda Boston and Donna Harms, both of Springfield, Ill., Teresa Todt of Farmersville, and Colleen Murphy of Atlanta.


92, a resident of the Washington area since 1930 who had worked for the Government Printing Office and Woodward & Lothrop department stores, died Nov. 10 at Capitol Hill Hospital. She had pneumonia and emphysema.

Mrs. Prosser, who lived in Washington, was a native of Prattsburgh, N.Y. She worked for a GPO photostatic file unit during World War II and was a Woodward & Lothrop sales clerk in the 1950s.

Her husband, Ellsworth S. Prosser, died in 1960. Survivors include one daughter, Wilhelmina Campbell of Washington.


61, a driver with the TeamCare medical services of Rockville and a retired Postal Service employe, died Nov. 12 at Prince George's Hospital Center after a heart attack. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Wildy was a Washington native and graduate of Armstrong High School. After serving with the Marine Corps during World War II, he joined the Post Office Department. He retired as a mail handler in 1983. A year later, he joined TeamCare.

He was a member of St. Luke's Baptist Church in Washington, where he had been president of the male chorus. He also served on the church board and was a member of the choir. His hobbies included bowling.

Survivors include his wife, Peggy Wildy of Washington; three sons, Ronald, of Riverdale, Michael, of Bowie, and Mark, of Savage, Md.; four daughters, Kim Barnes of Landover, and Debra, Jody, and Lisa Wildy, all of Washington, and four grandchildren.