Bolon B. Turner, 90, a former government attorney and chief judge of the U.S. Tax Court, died Nov. 22 at the Leewood nursing home in Annandale. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Judge Turner was named to the Tax Court in 1934 and served as its chief judge from 1945 to 1949. He took senior status in 1962, officially remaining with the court until his death.

Among the decisions in which he took part was the 1935 ruling that financier and former cabinet member Andrew Mellon could deduct from his income taxes the value of paintings he had donated to museums.

Judge Turner was a native of Little Rock, Ark. He moved to the Washington area after serving with the Army during World War I. He received his undergraduate degree and two law degrees, one a master's in tax law, at George Washington University.

From 1920 to 1923, he was a lawyer with the Bureau of Internal Revenue. From 1924 to 1927, he was a lawyer with the U.S. Board of Tax Appeals. He then practiced law in Little Rock and worked for the Arkansas revenue department before returning here in 1933.

Before he was appointed to the Tax Court, he spent a year as a lawyer in the office of the secretary of the Treasury. He helped draft the federal revenue acts of 1924 and 1934.

Judge Turner was a life member of Epsilon chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity and a member of the fraternity's Order of Constantine. He was grand consul of Sigma Chi from 1963 to 1967.

He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Bethesda, the Masons, the American Legion, the legal fraternity Phi Alpha Delta, the University Club and the National Lawyers Club. He was a life member of Columbia Country Club. He also belonged to the American Bar Association and the Arkansas and D.C. bar associations.

A former Washington and Chevy Chase resident, Judge Turner was living in Gaithersburg when he entered a nursing home three years ago.

Survivors include his wife, Essie Lee Pearson Turner of Gaithersburg; two stepdaughters, Nancy T. Redfearn of Burke, and Ann T. Seibert of Sarasota, Fla.; one sister, Arra G. Wells of Little Rock; three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


74, a retired chairman of Paramount Distillers Inc. of Cleveland, distillers and bottlers of wines and spirits under private labels, died of cancer Nov. 23 at his home in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Kimelman, a resident of the Washington area since 1938, was born in Philadelphia. During World War II he served in the Army.

He began his career in the distilling industry after the war with the Seagrams company. About 1950 he joined Schenley Distillers Inc., where he became a vice president. In the early 1960s he worked for Gold Shield Winery. He joined Paramount Distillers about 1965 and was chairman until he retired earlier this year.

Mr. Kimelman was a Mason.

Survivors include his wife, Jean Kimelman of Chevy Chase; two children, Linda Sheehan of Los Angeles and Julie Kimelman of Washington; two sisters, Helen Segal of Fair Hill, N.J., and Shirley Sacks of Wincote, Pa., and two grandchildren.


73, a former official of the National Labor Relations Board who later entered private law practice and worked as an arbitrator and labor relations consultant, died of a liver ailment Nov. 19 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Matthews, who lived in Washington, was born in Buffalo and graduated from Canisius College there. He studied industrial psychology at the University of Buffalo. He served in the Army in Africa and Italy during World War II.

After the war he was a youth counselor with the National Youth Administration in Buffalo. He then joined the Veterans Administration and moved to Washington in 1950.

Later he worked for the Wage Stabilization Board and the U.S. Geological Survey here, and he received a law degree at American University and a master's degree in law at Georgetown University.

He joined the NLRB as personnel director in 1959, and he worked at the NLRB until he retired from the federal service in 1971.

In 1968 and 1969, Mr. Matthews studied collective bargaining in the federal government while on a federal executive fellowship at the Brookings Institution in Washington.

In the early 1970s, he practiced law with the firm of Dalton, Matthews and Sheehey in Washington, then became a private arbitrator and labor relations consultant. He retired again in 1986.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret Nagle Matthews of Washington; three daughters, Barbara Schnebly of Hagerstown, Maureen Kammer of Miami and Virginia Yingling of Washington; a son, Daniel J. Matthews of Chelan, Wash., and two grandchildren.


81, an officer in family businesses who had served as president of the women's division of the Arlington Chamber of Commerce in the 1970s, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 20 at The Virginian Retirement Home in Fairfax. She lived at The Virginian.

She was vice president of both the Arlington Iron Works Inc. of Manassas and Rent-a-Crane Inc. of Newington, Va.

Mrs. FitzGerald was a native of Hartselle, Ala. She lived in Norfolk for seven years before moving to the Washington area in 1935. She was a bookkeeper with the Alaska Coal Co. in Arlington from 1935 to 1942. She then joined the old War Department. She was a secretary and statistician before retiring from the Defense Department in 1955.

She was a member of the Westover Baptist Church in Arlington.

Her husband, Thomas B. FitzGerald, died in 1973. Survivors include three sons, James L. FitzGerald of Manassas and Howard B. and Donald L. FitzGerald, both of Fairfax; a sister, Erlyne Wood of Mineola, Tex.; seven grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.


94, a statistician at the U.S. Supreme Court until she retired in the early 1960s with 30 years of service, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 20 at the Carriage Hill nursing home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Bennett, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Pinkstaff, Ill. She attended the Busch Music Conservatory in Chicago. She moved to the Washington area in the early 1920s.

She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Her husband, Nelson Bennett II, died in 1964.

Survivors include three children, Emily F.J. Bennett and Mary Bennett Hargett, both of Bethesda, and Nelson Bennett III of Potomac; one sister, Martha Pinkstaff Moreland of Ventura, Calif.; seven grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


60, a retired building management officer for the General Services Administration, died of cancer Nov. 21 at the Largo Nursing Home.

Mr. Thomas, who lived in Clinton, was born in Aldershot, England. He lived in California and New York before moving to Washington as a teen-ager, and he graduated from Wilson High School. He attended Bristol University in England and served in the U.S. Army in Europe during World War II.

After the war he became a naturalized U.S. citizen. He returned to the Washington area and worked for the Navy Department and the Army Corps of Engineers before joining GSA in the early 1960s.

He retired in 1985 after having served as building management officer for the Pentagon and several other buildings in this area.

Mr. Thomas was a sailing enthusiast and a former president of the National Albacore Association.

Survivors include his wife, Emily Thomas of Clinton, and two daughters, Karen Thomas of Alexandria and Cary Thomas of Raleigh, N.C.


80, a retired building manager for the Oliver T. Carr Co., died of sepsis Nov. 23 at Anne Arundel General Hospital in Annapolis.

Mrs. Triggs moved to this area from her native Brockton, Mass., in 1951 following the death of her husband, John S. Triggs.

Shortly thereafter she became resident manager of the Wayne Manchester Apartments in Silver Spring. Later she worked at Monroe House in Washington. She retired in 1979.

She lived in Davidsonville and was a member of St. Jude's Catholic Church in Rockville.

Two sons, David T. Triggs and John S. Triggs, died in 1981.

Survivors include one daughter, Paula Zanger of Silver Spring; two sons, Peter W. Triggs of Rockville and Hugh F. Triggs of Davidsonville; 25 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.