David Olan Meeker Jr., 63, a former executive vice president of the American Institute of Architects and assistant secretary at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, died Nov. 23 at his home in Arlington after a heart attack.
An architect and urban planner by profession and a principal in an architectural firm at the time of his death, Mr. Meeker spent much of the past two decades in various aspects of public service and related fields, including teaching.
He also was a retired lieutenant colonel in the Army Reserves and a veteran of two wars. He made the D-Day landing in Normandy as an enlisted man in World War II. He was recalled to active duty in the Korean war and won a battlefield commission. He also was on active duty for the U.S. intervention in Lebanon in 1958.
A native of Clifton Springs, N.Y., Mr. Meeker went to Yale after his World War II service and graduated with a degree in architecture. The recipient of a Fullbright fellowship and a fellowship from the government of Denmark, he went next to the University of Copenhagen and the Royal Academy of Art.
In 1952, he settled in Indianapolis and eventually joined the Janes architectural and engineering firm. In the late 1960s he worked for the city government and in 1972 he became deputy mayor.
In 1973 he moved to Washington to become assistant secretary of housing and urban development for community planning. In the course of his three years at HUD he helped organize the community development block grant program. He also led a delegation to the Soviet Union for talks on environmental matters.
From 1976 to 1978, Mr. Meeker commuted to Cleveland to teach urban studies and public service at Cleveland State University.
From 1978 to 1983, he was executive vice president of the architects group. He was credited with playing a role in persuading officials to preserve the design integrity of the Vietnam War Memorial at the behest of the memorial's organizers. He received similar credit in connection with the decision to restore the West Front of the U.S. Capitol rather than expand it.
After leaving the architects group, Mr. Meeker became a senior vice president and head of the Washington office of the Janes company. In January he resigned to help found Plus 4 Architects, the firm of which he was a principal when he died.
Mr. Meeker was a member of the Nature Conservancy.
His marriages to Marta Cantwell and Sarah Merriman ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, Laura Kuitunen Meeker of Arlington; two sons by his first marriage, Scott Meeker of Milwaukee and Brett Meeker of Chicago; two daughters by his first marriage, Stone Meeker Jaysie of Cambridge, Mass., and Stuart Meeker Wilson of Lothian, Md.; one daughter by his second marriage, Elizabeth Meeker of Cumming, Ga.; three sisters, Nancy Newbegin of Vienna, Elise Coe of Sacramento, Calif., and Lee Lionetti of Old Greenwich, Conn.; two brothers, John and Steven Meeker, both of California, and one grandchild.
EDWARD HAMILTON YOUNG,
90, a retired Army colonel who spent most of his military career as a legal officer, died of emphysema, heart ailments and cancer Nov. 22 at his home in Vero Beach, Fla.
Col. Young served 39 years in the Army before his retirement in 1954 as staff judge advocate for the U.S. Second Army, based at Fort Meade. For 11 years after that he was secretary to the board of commissioners of the U.S. Soldiers' and Airmen's home in Washington.
He was born in Milwaukee and graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. He served briefly in Europe during World War I and later with the occupation forces.
Later assignments included the infantry school at Fort Benning, the Philippines and command of the detachment at the Army War College. He received a law degree at New York University, taught law at the U.S. Military Academy and wrote two textbooks on constitutional law.
During the 1940s he was the first commandant of the Judge Advocate General's School, in Washington and later in Ann Arbor, Mich. In 1944 Col. Young was assigned as theater judge advocate of U.S. forces in China and later served on the United Nations War Crimes Commission for the Far East.
He returned to Washington in 1947 as chief of the war crimes branch in the civil affairs division of the Office of the Judge Advocate General.
Col. Young's military decorations included the Distinguished Service Medal and the Legion of Merit.
He was a member of the Chevy Chase Club and a founding member of the Army-Navy Country Club.
Col. Young, a former resident of Washington, moved to Vero Beach in 1972.
Survivors include his wife, Margaret Salmon Young of Vero Beach.
MARY M. WICKERS,
86, an auxiliary member of the Fleet Reserve Association who had been active in PTA work, died Nov. 20 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke.
She had lived at the Carroll Manor nursing home in Hyattsville for the past year. A native of Richmond, she lived on a farm in Herndon in the 1930s, then resided in Washington and Montgomery County until entering Carroll Manor.
Mrs. Wickers had been president of the Herndon PTA in the 1930s. She was an auxiliary member of Capital City Branch No. 67 of the Fleet Reserve Association.
She was the widow of Frank Wickers, a retired Navy chief water tender who died in 1971.
Her survivors include two sons, retired Army Col. Charles Wickers of Cape St. Claire, Md., and Claude Wickers of Waynesboro, Pa.; three daughters, Rosemary Higdon of Mount Rainier, Frances Kraft of Gettysburg, Pa., and Edna Colbert of Wheaton; one sister, Rosalie Hinson of Temple Hills; 19 grandchildren; 26 great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild.
ANNA E. NOBLE,
90, a former sales clerk at Garfinckel's department store and a resident of the Washington area since the late 1940s, died Nov. 19 at La Grange Community Hospital in La Grange, Ill., after a heart attack.
Mrs. Noble, a resident of Bethesda, was visiting family when she was stricken.
She was born in Pacific, Mo., a suburb of St. Louis. She attended the Chicago Art Institute and lived in Chicago until moving to Washington. She retired from Garfinckel's about 1960.
Mrs. Noble was a resident of Washington until moving to Bethesda in 1985. She was a member of the parish of St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington. She also was a member of the American Association of Retired Persons.
Her marriage to Ben Ellsworth Noble ended in divorce.
Survivors include one son, Ben Paul Noble of Bethesda; two sisters, Agnes Barbeau of Chicago and Barbara Blanchard of La Grange; 17 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren. A daughter, Dolores Hill, died in 1974, and a son, John Noble, died in 1977.
78, a former Greenbelt resident who had lived in the Washington area from about 1940 to 1968, died of cancer Nov. 18 at her home in Orange City, Fla.
Mrs. Caruso had been a member of the Carrollton Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Washington stake. Mrs. Caruso, who was a native of Charlottesville, lived in Mesa, Ariz., for about 17 years before moving to Florida in 1985.
Survivors include her husband, Vincent Caruso of Orange City; four sons, Carl, of DeLand, Fla., Ronald, of Salt Lake City, Lewis, of Medford, Ore., and James, of West Laurel, Md.; three sisters, Rubye Mikesell of Greenbelt, Sadie McGhee of Barboursville, W.Va., and Beatrice Powell of Charlottesville; two brothers, Lamont Dudley of Gordonsville, Va., and Stanford Dudley of Charlottesville; 12 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.
ADAM LIVERMORE OFFENBACHER,
79, who retired as manager of the American Security Bank branch at Georgia Avenue and Park Road in 1969 after 35 years as a Washington banker, died of a heart ailment Nov. 22 at Holy Cross Hospital.
He began his banking career with the old City Bank of Washington in 1934 and was a branch manager with that institution when it merged with American Security in 1959.
Mr. Offenbacher was a native of Washington and a graduate of the old Business High School. He lived in Bethesda before moving to a retirement home in Burtonsville in 1986.
His wife, Catharine W. Offenbacher, died in 1984. Survivors include two sisters, Lorene Offenbacher and Allene Weatherly, both of Silver Spring.
MAX B. BOYD,
79, a retired Air Force colonel and public relations officer and a former Associated Press writer, died of pneumonia and a stroke Nov. 21 at Meridian Nursing Home in Towson, Md.
Col. Boyd retired from the Air Force in 1967 after having served as assistant director of the office of information in the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force. He had served as an Air Force information officer since 1951, and during World War II he had been an information officer with the Army Air Forces in Europe.
He had worked for the AP before and after World War II.
A native of Memphis, Col. Boyd joined the AP's Washington bureau in 1933 after having worked as a reporter in Missouri and Oklahoma for about eight years.
During World War II he was an Army Air Forces information officer in North Africa, England, France and Germany, then served as the AP's Cairo bureau chief from 1946 to 1949. He rejoined the AP's Washington bureau in 1949 and served here until 1951 when he was recalled to active duty with the Air Force.
Col. Boyd was public relations officer at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs from 1954 to 1959, then was reassigned at the Pentagon, where he remained until his retirement.
A former resident of Washington, he moved to the nursing home in Towson in December 1986.
Survivors include his wife, Elisabeth Tildy Boyd, and one son, Laslo V. Boyd, both of Baltimore, and two grandchildren.
ALBERT FIELDING PARKS,
78, a retired Navy lieutenant commander and official of the U.S. International Trade Commission, died Nov. 23 at his home in West Memphis, Ark., after a heart attack.
Cmdr. Parks lived in the Washington area from 1946 to 1977 and then moved to Arkansas. He was born in Sulphur Rock, Ark. He graduated from Arkansas College, where he taught chemistry during the 1930s.
During World War II, he served in the Navy in Europe as a pilot and navigation instructor. After the war, he joined the U.S. Customs Service in New Orleans.
He transferred to the agency's Washington offices in 1946. He went to work for the International Trade Commission in 1959 and retired in 1975 as director of the Office of Trade and Industry.
He was a member of the Trinity United Methodist Church in Alexandria.
Survivors include his wife, Agnes of West Memphis; one daughter, Stephanie Dalpias of Alexandria, and one granddaughter.
ELMER ASHBY HODGES,
79, a retired railway signalman at the Washington Terminal Co., died of congestive heart failure Nov. 23 at Washington Adventist Hospital.
Mr. Hodges, a resident of Berwyn Heights, was born in Danville, Va., and he moved to this area when he was 14. He worked 44 years at Washington Terminal before his retirement in 1970.
He was a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Signalmen and a former president of the Railway Employees Federal Credit Union.
Mr. Hodges was active in Democratic Party politics and was a former chief election judge in Berwyn Heights. He was a member of the University of Maryland's Terrapin Club.
His wife, Nelle Glasgow Hodges, died in 1984.
Survivors include two sons, Elmer F. Hodges of Berwyn Heights and F. Bert Hodges of Lancaster, Pa.; two sisters, English Oberholtzer and Virginia Many, both of Laurel; five grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.