Robert Wayne Denbo, 82, a retired Navy rear admiral who won the Navy Cross while serving as a pilot in the Pacific in World War II, died of pneumonia Nov. 21 at a hospital in Clearwater, Fla.

Adm. Denbo, who lived in the Washington area from 1961 to 1977, was born in Orleans, Ind. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis in 1929. During the 1930s, he completed flight school in Pensacola, Fla., and served aboard the aircraft carrier Lexington and the battleship Pennsylvania.

During World War II, he was assigned to the escort carrier Long Island and saw combat in the Philippines. It was during this period that he won the Navy Cross, the highest decoration for valor in the Navy except for the Medal of Honor. He later was a test pilot assigned to Philadelphia.

In the postwar years, Adm. Denbo served at various shore stations and commanded various ships, including the aircraft carrier Wasp. He was chief of staff to the commander in chief in the Pacific at Pearl Harbor when he retired in 1959.

He moved to the Washington area in 1961 and worked briefly as a consultant with the Washington Hospital Center. He moved to Florida 10 years ago.

In addition to the Navy Cross, Adm. Denbo held the Bronze Star.

Survivors include his wife, Mary B. Denbo of Clearwater; three daughters, Wayne Hinchcliffe of Sidney, Ohio, Roberta Tarbuck of Chevy Chase, and Cynthia Early of Arlington; one son, Richard B. Denbo of New Port Richey, Fla.; one sister, Jo Busick of Orleans; 12 grandchildren, and one great-grandson.


79, a former banker and government employe who served on the Kensington Town Council from 1953 to 1972, died Nov. 24 at his home in Kensington after a series of strokes.

In addition to his years on the council, Mr. Townsend had served as chairman of the 100-member Montgomery County Citizens Assembly on Juvenile Deliquency and the Montgomery Juvenile Court Advisory Committee.

A native of Millerton, N.Y., Mr. Townsend moved here in 1938 when he joined the Securities and Exchange Commission as a floor trading specialist. From the early 1940s to the early 1950s, he worked for Army intelligence organizations in Europe and Japan and as an industrial financial analyst with the Office of Defense Mobilization. He then returned to SEC, from which he retired in 1956 as a securities fraud investigator.

After that, he became founder and director of the Chevy Chase Bank and Trust Co.

Mr. Townsend was a former chairman of the board of trustees and elder of Warner Memorial Presbyterian Church in Kensington. He also had served on the Washington Presbytery. He was a 33rd degree Mason and Shriner, and a member of the International, Capitol Hill and National Press clubs.

Survivors include his wife, Laura Hunt Townsend of Kensington; one son, Courtland Jr., of Rockville; one daughter, Laurie Thomas of Crofton; one sister, Ruth Kennelly of Beacon, N.Y., and six grandchildren.


79, a retired teacher in the Arlington public schools and a former president of the Arlington Education Association, died of heart ailments Nov. 24 at Fort Bend Community Hospital in Missouri City, Tex.

Mrs. Tolley had lived in Missouri City since moving there from Arlington in 1977. She was born in Portsmouth, Va., and graduated from Longwood College in Farmville, Va.

She joined the Arlington schools after moving to the Washington area in 1930. She was a teacher at Key Elementary School when she retired about 1976 with 34 years of service.

Mrs. Tolley was president of her chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star and was a member of the National Teachers Association, the Woman's Club of Lyon Village in Arlington, the auxiliary of the Northern Virginia Dental Society and the Clarendon Presbyterian Church.

Her husband, Dr. John Alexander Tolley, a dentist, died in 1964. A son, John Alexander Tolley III, died in 1972.

Survivors include one daughter, Charlotte Etgen of Missouri City, and five grandchildren.


70, a driver for the Potomac Cab Co. and a retired guard and driver for Federal Armored Express, died of heart ailments Nov. 18 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Wicker was born in Pinehurst, N.C. He moved here in 1941. During World War II he served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific.

For several years Mr. Wicker was a driver for Manhattan Laundry and then for Sterling Laundry. He joined Federal Armored Express in 1969 and retired in 1983. In addition to his other work he had been a cabdriver for 30 years.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Agnes Wicker of Washington; two daughters, Therese Wiley of Washington and Margaret Saukel of Clinton; three sons, Thomas Wicker of Arlington and Joseph and Lawrence Wicker, both of Washington; one sister, Evelyn Billings of Pinehurst, and eight grandchildren.


74, retired assistant vice president of the loan servicing department of Weaver Bros. Inc., a mortgage banking company, died Nov. 16 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Post, a resident of Arlington, was born in Swissvale, Pa. He moved to this area as a youth, graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and attended the University of Maryland.

Before joining Weaver Bros. in 1950, he had worked for 18 years at the National Savings and Trust Co. He retired in the late 1970s.

Mr. Post was a member of Arlington Forest United Methodist Church.

Survivors include his wife, Frances Post of Arlington; three sons, Thomas Post of Somerset, N.J., Donald Post of Gambrills, Md., and Jim Post of Washington; two sisters, Margaret Post Penn of Myersville, Md., and Dorothy Post Haughey of Bowie, and two grandchildren.


68, a former Army captain who served in two wars and later became a civilian budget analyst in the Department of the Army, died of cancer Nov. 20 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mr. Newman, a lifelong resident of Washington, graduated from Dunbar High School and attended Miner Teachers College. He began his Army career in World War II, in which he served in Europe and the Middle East.

He also served in the Korean war. He later was stationed in France. He retired from the service in the early 1960s and then went to work at the Pentagon as a budget analyst. He retired a second time in 1979.

Mr. Newman's military decorations included the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

His wife, the former Annie Mae Miller, died in 1982.

Survivors include three sons, Thomas A. Newman Jr. of District Heights and Peter and Robert Newman, both of Washington; four daughters, Lisa Miller Newman, Agnes Newman and Tracey Newman, all of Washington, and Steffanie Patrice Sheppard of Olney, and nine grandchildren.


66, a retired salesman with the Rosendorf-Evans fur salons, died Nov. 20 at his home in Chevy Chase after a heart attack.

Mr. Tobin was born in Washington. He graduated from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.

He worked for department store chains in Cleveland and New York City before returning to the Washington area in the early 1970s. He worked briefly in the fur department of the Woodward and Lothrop department stores before he was named manager of the Elizabeth Arden salons in Washington in 1972.

Mr. Tobin joined Rosendorf-Evans about 1981 and remained with the company until he retired this year.

He was a member of the Kenwood Golf & Country Club and the Catholic Church of the Little Flower in Bethesda.

His wife, Nancy Luckiesh Tobin, died in 1982.

Survivors include one son, Thomas Tobin of Cleveland, and three brothers, Hugh Tobin of Euclid Heights, Ohio, James Tobin of Fairfield, N.J., and Philip Tobin of Hudson, Ohio.