Robert H. Bell, 47, director of the Agency for International Development's regional economic development service in Nairobi, Kenya, died Nov. 22 in Nairobi after a heart attack.

Mr. Bell had worked in U.S. foreign aid programs since 1966, initially as an intern and later as a project development officer in South Korea. He held a variety of assignments in Washington, and was assigned to Kenya from 1974 to 1978 as deputy director of the regional economic development service.

Before he returned to Kenya last July, Mr. Bell was deputy assistant administrator of AID's Asia and Near East bureau. He had previously served as director of project development in that bureau.

In 1978 Mr. Bell received AID's Meritorious Honor Award and the Superior Honor Award.

A resident of Reston, he was born in Oxford, Conn., and graduated from Trinity College. He received master's degrees in business administration at Columbia University and international public policy at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies.

Survivors include his wife, Jane Jefferson Bell, and one daughter, Whitney Hamlin Bell, both of whom accompanied Mr. Bell to Kenya; one son, Robert H. Bell Jr., a student at Williams College in Massachusetts; his mother, Mrs. Hazen Bell of Ansonia, Conn.; and one brother, Donald Bell of Shelton, Conn.


54, a manufacturer's representative in the Washington area for the last 22 years, died of cancer Nov. 27 at his home in Annandale.

Mr. Klein was born in Cranford, N.J., and graduated from the University of Alabama. He served in the Army from 1955 to 1957.

He moved here in 1965 and opened Jack Klein Co., which he operated out of his home as a seller of building supplies to builders and hardware companies. Before moving to this area he had done similar work in Chicago and Canton, Ohio.

Mr. Klein was a former president of the Hillbrook Civic Association, a founding member and president of the Jewish Genealogy Society of Greater Washington and a board member of Temple Beth El in Alexandria. He was also an enthusiastic seashell collector and president of the National Capital Shell Club at the Smithsonian Institution.

Survivors include his wife, Faith Nachman Klein of Annandale; two daughters, Robin Klein Browder of Arlington and Holly Alyssa Klein of Annandale; and one son, Christopher Evans Klein of Savannah, Ga.


73, a former telephone company employe and farmer, and a retired mathematics teacher at the Landon School in Bethesda, died Nov. 25 at the Washington Hospital Center after a heart attack. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Porter was born in Washington and graduated from Georgetown University.

During the late 1930s he worked for the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Co. During World War II, he served in the Army in Iceland and rose to the rank of captain.

He returned to C&P Telephone briefly after the war, then worked as a farmer during the 1950s. He joined the staff of the Landon School in 1959 and retired in 1977.

He was a member of the Chevy Chase Club.

Survivors include his wife, Katherine Pearson Porter of Washington; two sons, John L. Porter Jr. of San Carlos, Calif. and William D. Porter of Columbus, Ga.; one stepsister, Anne Laskey of Naples, Fla.; two grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


81, a retired policy officer with the State Department's Fulbright Exchange Program, died Nov. 24 at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Washington.

Miss Hawkins was born in Esbon, Kan. She graduated from the University of South Dakota and did graduate study at the University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin.

She taught in the public schools of South Dakota for 17 years before moving to the Washington area in 1942 and joining the State Department, where she began her career as a writer. She worked for the Fulbright Exchange Program for several years before retiring in 1971.

Miss Hawkins was a founding member of the PEO Sisterhood and a member of the Woman's National Democratic Club. She also was a member of the Westmoreland Congregational United Church of Christ in Bethesda, where she was a past moderator. She had served as vice president of the Van Ness East Tenants' Association in Washington.

Survivors include one sister, Catherine Edling of Washington.


75, a retired communications technician with the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. and a bailiff with the Calvert County Circuit Court, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 25 at his home in St. Leonard, Md.

Mr. Nelson was born in Evans City, Pa. He moved to the Washington area in 1937 and joined C&P Telephone as a lineman. During the 1960s, he was assigned to the White House, where he helped to maintain the executive communications system. He retired about 1979. Since then he had been a bailiff with the Calvert County Circuit Court.

He was a Mason and a member of Waters United Methodist Church in St. Leonard. He also was a past president of the Goldennaires, a senior citizens club in Calvert County.

Survivors include his wife, Ethel F. Nelson of St. Leonard; two sons, Wayne Nelson of Hyattsville and Larry Nelson of St. Leonard; one brother, Bruce Nelson of Pittsburgh, and one grandson.


95, who owned and operated a beautician, barber and pet shop supply business out of his home in Kensington, died of a heart ailment Nov. 22 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.

Mr. Carter was born in Cuba, Mo., and graduated from Stanford University. He received a master's degree in business administration from New York University. During World War I he served in the Army in Europe.

Before moving to this area in 1941 he operated a beautician, barber and pet shop supply business in New York.

During World War II, Mr. Carter was a personnel officer here with the Civil Service Commission.

He reopened his business, the Carter Co., after the war and sold such items as shears, clippers and combs.

He was an enthusiastic folk dancer and founded several folk dancing clubs in this area.

His wife, Peggy Carter, died in 1941.

There are no immediate survivors.


67, a longtime Washington area resident and a member of the Beth Shalom Congregation and Sisterhood in Washington, died Nov. 26 at Good Samaritan Hospital in Baltimore of polymyositis, a disease that causes inflammation of the muscles.

Mrs. Ehrlich, who lived in Washington, was born in Winchester, Va. She moved to the Washington area in 1937.

She was a member of Hadassah, the United Jewish Appeal and the United Hebrew Home for the Aged. She also had been a member of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf, the Cancer Society and the American Heart Association.

Survivors include her husband, Gilbert Ehrlich of Washington; one son, Jack A. Ehrlich of Silver Spring, and three grandchildren.


54, a retired mail carrier with the U.S. Postal Service, died Nov. 23 at Howard University Hospital of acute bronchial asthma. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Smith was born in Washington and attended Phelps Vocational High School. He joined what became the Postal Service in 1951. From 1955 to 1957 he served in the Army. After his military service, he continued his postal career and retired in 1974.

He also had been a local jazz singer and had appeared at the Pig's Foot and Blues Alley.

His marriage to Patricia Smith ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Gail Smith and Sherry Brinkley, both of Washington; two sons, Gary Smith of Washington and John Smith of Cheverly, and five grandchildren.


60, a retired warehouse manager for Giant Food, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Nov. 26 at his home in Annapolis.

Mr. Fitzpatrick was born in Washington and graduated from St. John's College High School here. During World War II he served in the Army in the Pacific.

He worked 35 years for Giant Food before his retirement in 1982.

He was a member of St. Andrew's-by-the-Bay Catholic Church in Cape St. Clair.

His marriage to Marguerite Crupper ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia Anne Fitzpatrick of Annapolis; five children by his first wife, James V. Fitzpatrick Jr. of North Carolina, John R. Fitzpatrick of Thurmont, Md., Robert L. Fitzpatrick of Stephensville, Md., Michael P. Fitzpatrick of Brentwood, Md. and Joanne Finotti of Frederick, Md.; eight grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


7, a second grade student at Springhill Lake Elementary School in Greenbelt, was killed Nov. 23 when he was run over by a delivery truck near his home in Greenbelt.

Greenbelt police said he apparently had run behind the truck when it was backing up in the 9200 block of Spring Hill Lane. He was pronounced dead at AMI Doctors Hospital.

Survivors include his mother, Anita Wilson, a half-brother and half-sister, Matthew and Jaimi Young, all of Greenbelt; and his grandparents, Louise and Carlton Douglas of Greenbelt, and Angelina Wilson of Hyattsville.


67, a former clerk with Crown Supply Co., a business supply firm in Alexandria, died Nov. 25 while visiting her son in Los Angeles. She had Parkinson's disease.

Mrs. Spooner, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Utica, N.Y. She moved to the Washington area in 1946. During the 1960s, she worked at Crown Supply.

Her husband, Joseph Spooner, died in September. Survivors include one son, Dr. Joseph Spooner of Los Angeles; one daughter, Shirley S. Frank of Huntington, N.Y., and two grandchildren.