Arthur H. Dean, 89, a retired head of the prestigious New York law firm of Sullivan & Cromwell who also had held diplomatic and advisory posts under four presidents, died of pneumonia Nov. 30 at a hospital in Glen Cove, N.Y. He lived in Oyster Bay, N.Y.

Mr. Dean joined Sullivan & Cromwell in 1923 and became a partner in 1930. He specialized in international and corporate law, working in the United States, Europe and Japan. He became head of the firm in 1949 and retired in 1976.

During the New Deal years, he helped draft some of the landmark securities laws. For seven weeks in 1953, he served as U.S. and U.N. representative at the talks in Panmunjom that tried to achieve a permanent political settlement to the Korean War. Also during the Eisenhower administration, he served as chief U.S. representative to international law of the sea conferences.

During the Kennedy administration, he was chief negotiator at nuclear test ban negotiations and 18-nation disarmament conferences in Geneva. These talks helped lead to the 1963 nuclear test ban treaty.

During the Johnson administration, he was an adviser to the president on foreign and defense policy questions. His fact-finding missions for Johnson helped lead to the decisions in 1968 that sought to wind down the war in Vietnam.

He also had served during the 1960s as a delegate to U.N. General Assembly and as a consultant to the director of the U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency. He had served on President Johnson's Task Force on Nuclear Proliferation and held the personal rank of ambassador from Johnson.

Arthur Hobson Dean was born Oct. 16, 1898, in Ithaca, N.Y. He served with the Navy during World War I, graduated from Cornell University in 1921 and its law school in 1923. He had worked his way through college as a night clerk at a hotel and as a bank bookkeeper. He became managing editor of the Cornell Law Quarterly.

After joining Sullivan & Cromwell, he worked on projects for U.S. and British banks and their recapitalization of industrial works and in corporate reorganizations. He worked in Germany, France, Italy and Japan.

Mr. Dean was called to Washington in 1933 and worked on the drafting of the Securities Act of 1933. He was a member of the Commerce Department's Dickinson Committee that called for the creation of what became the Securities and Exchange Commission. He also helped draft the Bankruptcy Act of 1938, the Trust Indenture Act of 1939 and the Investment Company Act of 1940.

During World War II, he was a Coast Guard officer and taught navigation and flying. Returning to law practice after the war, he became head of Sullivan & Cromwell when his predecessor, John Foster Dulles, resigned to become a U.S. senator from New York.

In 1953, Dulles was named secretary of state, and Mr. Dean was named a special deputy secretary of state to assume what the New York Herald Tribune called "one of the most important diplomatic roles ever assigned to an American."

As chief allied negotiator at the talks at Panmunjom, agreement of a general political settlement was never reached, but the fighting came to an end, and exchanges of prisoners eventually took place. By 1954, Mr. Dean had returned to the full-time practice of law.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Marden (Polly) Dean, whom he married in 1932 and who lives in Oyster Bay; a son, Nicholas Brice Marden Dean of North Edgecomb, Maine; a daughter, Patricia Dean Manolis of Brookville, N.Y.; eight grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


81, a retired professor and chairman of the Department of Music at the University of Maryland, died Nov. 28 at his home in Silver Spring after a heart attack.

Mr. Ulrich moved to this area and became chairman of the Maryland music department in 1953. He held that post until 1971, then taught an additional year before retiring as professor emeritus in 1972.

When he became department chairman, the music faculty numbered five and the students 35, and only one degree program offered. When he retired, the music department had a faculty of 60, teaching 600 students. The department had nine degree programs, three of them leading to doctoral degrees.

Throughout those years, Mr. Ulrich also had traveled, written and taught in Europe. He had contributed articles on music to the World Book Encyclopedia and Encyclopaedia Brittanica. In the 1950s, he had been a music critic with the old Washington Evening Star newspaper.

He was a member of the Music Library Association, the American Musicological Society and the Music Education National Conference. He was the author of nine books and had worked with Leonard Bernstein. He also had served on the program committee of the Cosmos Club.

Mr. Ulrich, who was a native of Chicago, earned a master's degree in musicology at the University of Chicago. He had played several instruments, including the bassoon and cello, with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra from 1929 to 1935. He also had taught at a community college in Illinois, before serving as a music professor at the University of Texas from 1939 to 1953.

Survivors include his wife, Miriam, of Silver Spring; a son, David, of Burnt Hills, N.Y.; two daughters, Karen Jones of Leesburg, and Gretchen Buzzell of Atlanta; a brother, Carl W., of Skokie, Ill.; six grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.


72, senior partner in the Bethesda accounting firm of Frantz, Warrick, Strack and Associates, died of circulatory ailments Nov. 30 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mr. Frantz, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Oakland, Md., and moved to Washington when he was 12. He was a graduate of Central High School and Columbus University School of Accounting.

He worked at his accounting firm since founding it in 1948.

He was a former president of the D.C. Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Reciprocity Club of Washington, and the Reciprocity Club of America, a former board member of First Federal Bank of Maryland and Barney Neighborhood House, a past treasurer of the Leukemia Society of Washington and a member of Almas Temple of the Shrine and the American Institute of CPAs.

Survivors include his wife, Hazel Hardesty Frantz of Silver Spring; one daughter, Linda Frantz of Beltsville; one son, Steven Frantz of Silver Spring; one brother, Joseph Frantz of Hutton, Md., and two grandchildren.


75, a retired head of the children's department at the Arlington County Central Library and past president of the Arlington Historical Society, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 27 at her home in Arlington.

She worked for the Arlington Library for more than 30 years before retiring in the mid-1970s. Mrs. Goebel was a graduate of the Carnegie Library School in her native Pennsylvania. She moved here in the mid-1930s.

She had served on the awards committee for the Newberry and Caldecott medals, the most prestigious prizes for authors of children's books. She also had served on the children's book committee of the Library of Congress and was a member of the American Library Association.

Her husband, George Jordan Goebel, died in 1971. Survivors include a daughter, Carla G. Liverman of Fredericksburg, Va.


78, a writer, historian and former architect who had farmed in Loudoun County for the past 50 years, died Nov. 28 at Loudoun Memorial Hospital in Leesburg after a heart attack. He lived in Leesburg.

Mr. Power moved to the Washington area in the mid-1930s and worked as an architect until turning to a writing career in the late 1940s. His novel, "The Encounter," which was published in 1950 by William Morrow, was reprinted in the 1960s and again in 1984. At the time of his death, he was working on a history of stone architecture.

He was a native of Baltimore and a Navy veteran of World War II. He was a graduate of Yale University where he also earned a master's degree in architecture.

His wife, Mary Hunt Power, died in 1978. Survivors include a son, Mark, of Leesburg; two daughters, Molly Power of Newburyport, Mass., and Jenny Power Dev of San Antonio, and 10 grandchildren.


84, a retired Washington pharmacist who had lived in this area all his life, died of respiratory failure and cancer Nov. 29 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Duval was a native of Washington and a graduate of the George Washington University pharmacy school. He was a pharmacist with the old Moskey's pharmacy in Georgetown from 1926 to 1942. He then joined Peoples Drug Stores, where he worked until retiring in 1968 from its pharmacy at 15th Street and New York Avenue NW.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, the former Mildred Cleveland, of Arlington, and a half-sister, Gola Craver of Alexandria.