David Lewis Seidel, 69, a Washington physician and psychoanalyst for more than 40 years who had been a government consultant and who was active in professional groups, died of leukemia Nov. 30 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Washington.

In addition to his private psychoanalytic practice, Dr. Seidel had been a consultant to the State Department, the Social Security Administration, and the D.C. Department of Human Resources. As a consultant to Catholic University's theological college, he had helped establish a pastoral training institute program on the recognition of emotional problems.

Dr. Seidel had served with the Washington Psychoanalytic Society Community Service Committee and the Washington Psychiatric Society. He had been a member of the American Psychiatric Society.

He also had painted and designed furniture and rugs. He had recently been accepted for service with the restoration program of Institute per L'Arte e il Restauro in Florence.

Dr. Seidel was a native of Takoma Park and served with the Navy as an epidemiology officer during World War II. He was a graduate of the Georgetown University medical school and was an intern at St. Vincent's Hospital in New York City. He served his psychiatric residency at St. Elizabeths Hospital here.

He leaves no immediate survivors.


79, a retired police and crime reporter with the old Washington Evening Star who had been active in civic and volunteer groups in Prince George's County, died Dec. 1 at the Doctors' Hospital of Prince George's County after surgery for a perforated ulcer.

He was a reporter with the Star for 46 years before retiring in 1973. He received awards for his news coverage from civic and police groups. A street in Seat Pleasant was renamed in his honor after he retired.

Mr. Crown, who lived in Seat Pleasant, was a native of Washington. He had served as town treasurer of Seat Pleasant in the early 1960s and had been a director of both the Bladensburg-Largo Lions Club and the Prince George's County YMCA.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Gladys M. Crown of Seat Pleasant; two sons, Joseph T. Jr., of Upper Marlboro, and Dr. Ronald F., of La Jolla, Calif.; a daughter, Kathryn A. Crown of Huntington Beach, Calif., and two grandchildren.


61, president of Advanced Appliance Service Inc., a Bladensburg appliance service and parts concern that he founded in the mid-1960s, died Nov. 29 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Rockville.

Mr. Gottlieb served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II and drove a cab in his native New York before moving here in the early 1950s. From then, until founding his company, he was a D.C. police officer.

His first wife, Gertrude, died in 1977. Survivors include his wife, Marlene, of Rockville; four children by his first marriage, Jody Maites of Potomac, Michael, of Gaithersburg, Tammy Berman of Silver Spring, and Ronald, of Rockville; three stepchildren, Dara Aaronson of Gaithersburg, Marc Berman of Silver Spring, and Jodi Berman of Gaithersburg; two brothers, David and Milton, both of New York City; two sisters, Miriam Rosenkrantz of New Jersey, and Hilda Riben of New York City, and eight grandchildren.


82, an Arlington civic activist and a former government lawyer, died of a lung ailment Nov. 26 at Goodwin House in Alexandria.

Mrs. McCoy was born in Monroe County, Mich. She graduated from the University of Michigan where she also received a law degree. Before moving to the Washington area in 1936 she was a trust lawyer with a bank in Philadelphia.

She was a lawyer with the Securities and Exchange Commission from 1936 to 1941. During World War II, she was a lawyer with the Treasury Department's office of foreign funds control.

Mrs. McCoy was a former president of the North Highlands Citizens Association and a member of the Arlington Board of Zoning Appeals, the Appalachian Trail Club and the Committee of One Hundred, a civic improvement organization.

She also square danced with her husband, Harold D. McCoy, and tended an azalea garden, which they opened to the public at their Arlington home.

In addition to her husband, of Alexandria, Mrs. McCoy is survived by two sons, Bruce Gregory McCoy of Arlington, and Malcolm Osgood McCoy of Catati, Calif.


29, a Marriott Corp. purchasing agent, died Nov. 27 in a hunting accident near Centreville, Md.

Maryland state police said Mr. Sheldon was driving across a farmer's field while stalking a deer at night when he was accidentally shot by his hunting companion who was reloading a shotgun. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr. Sheldon, a native of Plainfield, N.J., had worked in the supply and quality control department of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration before moving to Wheaton a year ago.

Survivors include his wife, Kim E. Kennedy Sheldon, one daughter, Chanelle, and one son, T. Rex, all of Wheaton, and his mother, M. Marguerite Sheldon of South Plainfield, N.J.