In an obituary Saturday about Inez Skees Shaw, 93, the widow of a retired major general in the Army, her first name was incorrect. (Published 12/8/87)

Dr. Armando de Moya, 51, an obstetrician and gynecologist who had practiced in Washington for more than 20 years, died of cancer Dec. 1 at his home in Washington.

Dr. de Moya was born in Havana and graduated from the University of Havana. He came to this country in 1959 and received his medical degree from Wake Forest University.

In the early 1960s, Dr. de Moya came to Washington and did his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Georgetown University Hospital.

He served on the clinical faculties of Georgetown and George Washington University hospitals and was on the attending staff at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Dr. de Moya was also codirector and cotherapist of the Washington Reproduction Association, a member of the Reston Medical Group, a past president of the Pan American Medical Society of Washington and a member of the board of the Inter American College of Physicians and Surgeons.

He had served on the grievance and review committee of the Washington Medical Society.

He was a fellow of the American Cancer Society, and he had studied oncology at Sloan Kettering Memorial Cancer Institute in New York.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy de Moya, and two sons, Marc and Andre de Moya, all of Washington, and one daughter, Lourdes Armes of Hawaii.


93, a retired Army major general's widow who accompanied her husband to military posts around the world, died of a heart ailment Nov. 29 at the Army Distaff Hall in Washington.

Mrs. Shaw was born in Elizabethtown, Ky., and studied music at the Cincinnati Conservatory.

In 1919 she married Gen. Franklin P. Shaw and moved to Washington. He died in 1975.

Survivors include three sons, Franklin P. Shaw Jr. of Alexandria, Harry Shaw of Easton, Md., and Robert Shaw of Fairfax; 11 grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.


79, a Navy rear admiral's wife who accompanied her husband to Navy bases during his military career, died of a heart ailment Dec. 3 at Montgomery General Hospital.

Mrs. Stephan, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Alexandria and graduated from Central High School in Washington.

She attended George Washington University.

Survivors include her husband, Rear Adm. Edward C. Stephan of Silver Spring; two sons, David W. Stephan of Goshen, N.H., and Edward C. Stephan Jr. of Kensington; one daughter, Paula Stephan Lee of Annapolis, and seven grandchildren.


90, a longtime resident of the Washington area and a former past worthy matron of the Eastern Star in Annandale, died of cancer Dec. 3 at Loudoun Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Stanford, a resident of Leesburg, was born in Hagerstown, Md., and moved to this area in 1935.

Her husband of 64 years, Walter H. Stanford, died in 1983.

Survivors include one son, John W. Stanford of Northbrook, Ill.; three daughters, Betty Lee Alley of Carson City, Nev., Mary J. Ward of Fairfax and Dolores Dube of Leesburg; 16 grandchildren; 24 great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren.


71, a retired master craftsman with the Edwin E. Ellett tile company in Washington who was active in church and Masonic organizations, died Dec. 3 at his home in Hyattsville after a stroke.

Mr. Farhood was a native of Washington. He was a graduate of Central High School and attended Strayer Business College.

He did civilian work with the War Department during World War II and was a court stenographer here before joining the Ellett company in 1946. He was a tile layer and repaired marble walls until retiring in 1985.

He was a member of the Third Church of Christ, Scientist in Washington, where he had served on the church board. He had been head librarian of the church reading room since 1986.

Mr. Farhood was a member of Potomac Masonic Lodge No. 5 in Washington and had been an associate guardian of Bethel No. 6 of the International Order of Job's Daughters.

His hobbies included ballroom dancing.

His first marriage, to Delores Farhood, ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Laura, of Hyattsville; two daughters by his first marriage, Beverly Gunther of Fort Washington and Joan Borland of Vienna; a brother, Emile, of Silver Spring; a sister, Helen Whitebread of Chevy Chase; three grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.


66, a retired teacher in the Montgomery County public schools who had lived in the Washington area since 1958, died Dec. 3 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Clarksburg, Md.

Mrs. Apolenis was a graduate of Kutztown State College in her native Pennsylvania. She lived here in the 1940s.

From 1958 to 1983, she taught first, third and fourth grade classes at what is now Bradley Hills Elementary School in Bethesda.

A past member of Bethesda Country Club, she belonged to Holly Hills Country Club in Ijamsville at the time of her death.

Survivors include her husband, Charles J., and a daughter, Judith K. Ferguson, both of Clarksburg; a son, Richard C., of Silver Spring, and eight grandchildren.


68, a retired mortician with Stewart Funeral Home in Washington, died of a heart ailment Dec. 2 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Washington.

Mr. Moore, who lived in Washington, was born in Nashville and graduated from the Atlanta College of Mortuary Science. He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1957 he was a mortician in Nashville. Here he worked for Stewart Funeral Home until he retired in the late 1960s.

Survivors include his wife, Flora Jordon Moore of Washington; three daughters, Rose Moore and Wilma Moore, both of Tampa, Fla., and Flora Ruth Rhoades of Detroit; two sons, Calvin Moore and Jesse C. Moore Jr., both of Washington; 13 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.


53, public affairs adviser to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Paris, died of cancer Nov. 30 at a hospital in Paris.

Mr. Stepherson was born in Texas and grew up in Los Angeles. He graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles and did graduate work in French language and African studies at the University of Paris.

In 1963 he joined the United States Information Agency, initially as a Paris-based lecturer touring French-speaking countries of Africa to talk about the U.S. space program.

Later he accompanied U.S. astronauts on world tours.

Subsequent assignments included duty in Washington; Libreville, Gabon; Conakry, Guinea, and Abidjan, Ivory Coast.

He had been assigned to duty in Paris since 1985.

Survivors include his wife, Simone Couture Stepherson, and one daughter, Nathalie, both of Paris.


82, a lawyer by training who was president of Capitol Furniture & Appliance Co., died of cardiac arrest Dec. 2 at a hospital in Miami Beach. The Silver Spring resident was vacationing when he was stricken.

He joined Capitol Furniture in 1952 and was the company's secretary-treasurer for 15 years before becoming president in 1967.

An area resident since 1938, he had practiced law and established and operated his own credit and collection legal department business before joining Capitol.

Mr. Blum was born in Austria, moved to this country in 1907, and settled in New York, where he graduated from New York Law School.

He was a member of Beth Tikva Synagogue in Rockville, the Knights of Pythias and B'nai B'rith.

His wife of 54 years, Fay Blum, died in 1986. Survivors include two sons, Herbert and Daniel, both of Rockville, and seven grandchildren.