Brooke Johns, 93, an irrepressible former superstar of vaudeville who was a Montgomery County commissioner in the 1940s, died Dec. 3 of cardiac arrest at his home on the outskirts of Olney.

Mr. Johns was billed as "Six-foot-three and Oh! So Different" during his vaudeville days, and he was world-renowned for his vitality, his nasal voice and his banjo. Almost to the end, he retained a strong voice, a firm handshake and a quick sense of humor.

He retired at the peak of his show business career in 1930 to a farm 18 miles from the White House and eventually converted much of the land into the Brooke Manor Country Club. As the suburbs moved northward, the 207 acres he owned were widely sought after by developers, but he rejected many offers.

Last month, he and his family finally agreed to sell all but their 17-room home and surrounding 20 acres to a Rockville real estate development firm.

Hired in the 1920s to draw crowds to theaters where movies had not yet achieved the popularity of the live stage, Mr. Johns was a coast-to-coast celebrity, a star of Ziegfeld's Follies and a Victor recording artist whose likeness appeared on the front of a hundred songsheets. Among the stars he knew well were W.C. Fields, Eddie Cantor, Paul Whiteman, Al Jolson and Will Rogers. Into his nineties, he was still entertaining, singing and plucking his banjo. He performed last year at a scholarship benefit for Montgomery College.

Mr. Johns, whose great-great-grandfather was said to have performed the last rites of the Episcopal Church for George Washington, was born in Georgetown on Christmas Eve, 1893. His father worked in a grocery store there at a time when half the houses lacking indoor plumbing and people walked to public pumps for water.

After being expelled from Georgetown Prep, which finally granted him a diploma this year, he left home at the age of 15 for New York, where his career got off to a rocky start. After Navy service in World War I, he was discovered in Florida by a New York producer who brought him to Broadway.

For several years, he performed with the diminutive singer Ann Pennington, but he wed Hazel Barnsley, a country girl from Montgomery County. They were married 62 years and had six children.

After retiring from the stage, he owned a restaurant in Georgetown and opened a nightclub and tea room in the farm's former dairy barn. It catered to congressmen and society people but closed during World War II when gasoline rationing cut down on country driving.

As the Republican chairman of the county commissioners in 1946, he warned against tacky postwar development. He also served as a state racing commissioner, bought and sold real estate, hosted a local TV show for children and performed benefits for schools and nursing homes.

"I never wanted to be a doctor or lawyer or bank president or congressman or senator," he said. "I could've stayed in politics, but it was disgusting to me . . . . It's a wonderful life after you get to be my age," he said in March.

Brooke and Hazel Johns lived in their 1920s mansion full of memories and memorabilia of his career in show business, including photographs, records, scrapbooks and a banjo signed by four presidents and the prince of Wales.

"I'm down in history now," he told a reporter. "I'm so egotistical I don't want the public to ever forget me . . . . "

In a final interview Monday, Mr. Johns reflected that "Having {several} children and a wife and being able to leave {them} one million apiece is not too bad for a fellow who didn't go to Yale or Harvard."

In addition to his wife, Hazel, he is survived by sons James Johns of Silver Spring and John Johns, who lived with his parents; daughters Martha Johns of Washington and Joan Smith of the family property near Olney; 17 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. He outlived two of his children.


74, a retired assistant principal in the Alexandria school system, died of cancer and emphysema Dec. 3 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. McClurg, a resident of Springfield, was born in Boone County, Ky., and graduated from the University of Kentucky. He received a master's degree in education at George Washington University.

Before World War II, he was a football and basketball coach in the schools of Olive Hill and Harlan County, Ky. During the war he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

Mr. McClurg then coached football and basketball in the schools of Ashland, Ky., Portsmouth Va., and Norfolk before moving to this area and joining the Alexandria school system in 1962.

In Alexandria he was assistant principal at Parker Gray Junior High School, George Washington High School, Charles Houston Junior High School and Hammond High School before he retired in 1979.

Survivors include his wife, Marjorie C. McClurg of Springfield; two sons, Charles Michael McClurg of Virginia Beach and Robert A. McClurg of Springfield; one daughter, Courtney T. McClurg Ammons of Columbia, S.C.; three grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


66, a retired equal employment officer with the Army Corps of Engineers at Fort Belvoir, died Dec. 1 at the Greater Laurel-Beltsville Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Alexandria.

Mrs. Henson was born in Los Angeles. She attended De Paul University in Chicago. In 1962 she went to work for the Army Department at Fort Sheridan, Ill. She transferred to the Washington area in 1970 and was an equal employment opportunity officer at Fort Belvoir until she retired in 1986.

She was an enthusiastic bridge player.

Survivors include her husband, retired Army Lt. Col. Allison M. Henson, and two sons, Allison M. III and Harold M., all of Alexandria.


86, a retired official of the State Department's Foreign Service Institute, died of cardiorespiratory arrest Nov. 22 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Washignton.

Mr. Little earned bachelor's and master's degrees at Cambridge University in his native England. He came to this country in the late 1920s and earned a doctorate in classical languages and literature at Yale University. He taught at Harvard and Yale universities and at Hobart College before serving with the Office of Strategic Services in World War II.

He joined the State Department in 1945, and was a press attache at our embassy in Moscow from 1946 to 1949. He then joined the Foreign Service Institute as a professor. He retired from State in 1964 after working since 1958 as a department head in the Institute's school of foreign affairs.

Mr. Little was a member of the Archaeological Institute of America and the National Press Club. He was the author of the book "Myth and Society in Attic Drama," and articles on Roman painting. He was the recipient of an award from the Italian government for his cultural work.

Survivors include his wife, the former Catherine Corson, of Washington.


67, who lived in Washington from about 1970 to 1984 when he was a field supervisor with the Department of Housing and Urban Development's model cities program, died Nov. 28 in a hospital in Burlington, Vt., as a result of injuries he received in a traffic accident.

A spokesman for the Shelburne, Vt., police said that the pickup truck Mr. Sanborn was driving in Shelburne struck a garbage truck that had stopped on the road to make a trash pickup. In addition to his injuries, Mr. Sanborn went into cardiac arrest after the accident and was taken to the hospital where he died, police said. The driver of the garbage truck was not injured, police said.

Mr. Sanborn was a native of Ohio and a graduate of the University of Washington. He served with the Army in the Southwest Pacific during World War II. Before coming to Washington, he had been executive director of the Oregon Democratic Party, taught political science at the University of Washington, been a Midwest regional director with the American Civil Liberties Union, and directed the model cities program in Highland Park, Mich. At the time of his death, he was an adjunct professor of American government at Trinity College in Burlington, Vt.

Survivors include his wife, Betty, of Shelburne; a daughter, Debra Sanborn of Columbus, Ohio, and three sons, Douglas, of Rocky River, Ohio, and Eric and Emerson, both of Shelburne.


76, a lifelong area resident who was a member of St. John's Catholic Church in McLean, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 30 at her home in McLean.

Mrs. Estes was a native of Washington and a graduate of the old Central High School and Holton Arms School.

Her husband, O'Ferrell Estes, died in the mid-1970s. Survivors include a son, Robert Lance Estes of Alexandria; a daughter, Carolyn E. O'Connell of Warrenton; three brothers, Frank B. Stoutenburgh of Arlington, James A. Stoutenburgh of Fairfax, and M. Joseph Stoutenburgh of Bradberry Park, Md., and five grandchildren.


74, a former Washington resident, died of leukemia and heart ailments Nov. 22 at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia.

Mrs. Barnouw, who lived in Philadelphia and New York, was born in Batchellerville, N.Y., and graduated from Castleton State College in Vermont. She lived in New York before moving here in 1976 when her husband, Erik Barnouw, joined the Library of Congress. She moved to Philadelphia in 1981.

In addition to her husband, of New York and Philadelphia, she is survived by a son, Jeffrey Barnouw of Austin, Tex.; two daughters, Susanna Gilmore of Rochester, N.Y., and Karen Barnouw of New York City, and one grandson.


89, a retired personnel officer with the Department of the Navy and a former teacher in the Alexandria public schools, died of a heart ailment Dec. 1 at her home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Terrell was born in Manassas. She grew up in the Washington area and graduated from the old Armstrong Technical High School and the old Miner Teachers College.

She joined the Alexandria public school system during the 1930s and taught at the old Seminary Public School. She joined the Navy Department in 1942 and retired in 1966.

Mrs. Terrell was the founding president of the Seminary Civic Association in Alexandria. She had been a volunteer with the Alexandria Senior Citizens Employment Services Center and had monitored polls for Alexandria city elections.

She was a member of Oakland Baptist Church in Alexandria, where she served as the church clerk for 39 years. She also belonged to Church Women United.

Her husband, Jacob S. Terrell, died in 1969. Survivors include three sons, James, Calvin, and Leonard Terrell, all of Alexandria; five daughters, Lillian and Constance Y. Terrell, and Maureen Scales, all of Alexandria, and Gwendolyn Johnson and Elaine Clarke, both of Washington; 32 grandchildren; 53 great-grandchildren, and four great-great-grandchildren.


15, a sophomore at St. John's College High School in Washington, died Dec. 1 at Children's Hospital after falling and striking his head on the pavement while playing basketball on the school playground. The D.C. Medical Examiner's office said the cause of death is under investigation.

He was born in Durham, N.C. and had lived in Washington since he was a child. Before enrolling at St. John's he had attended Amidon and John Eaton elementary schools and Jefferson Junior High School.

He had participated in youth soccer leagues on Capitol Hill, and had attended the YMCA's Camp Letts in his summers.

Survivors include his parents, Benjamin L. and Delores H. Evans, and a brother, Jamil Evans, all of Washington; two half sisters, Pamela Evans of Washington and Robin Evans of Kansas City, Mo.; and two grandmothers, Flora Houston of Princeton, W.Va., and Vercie Evans Loftin of Kansas City, Kan.


90, an area resident since 1939 who was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church at Lafayette Square and the Army & Navy Club, died of pneumonia Dec. 2 at her home in the Army Distaff Hall in Washington.

She was the widow of retired Gen. Wade Hampton Haislip, a highly decorated combat veteran of World War I, a corps commander in Gen. George S. Patton's Third Army in World War II, and who retired from the Army as its vice chief of staff. They had been married 39 years before his death in 1971. Mrs. Haislip was a native of Covington, Va.

She leaves no immediate survivors.