Paul Elsberg, 80, a retired anesthesiologist who had practiced at several hospitals in the Washington area, died Nov. 28 at Alexandria Hospital after a stroke.

Dr. Elsberg, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Warendorf, Germany, and studied medicine at the universities of Vienna, Freiburg, Breslau and Ludwig. He practiced medicine in Germany until 1938 when he moved to Saranac Lake, N.Y., and worked two years at a hospital there.

In 1940 he moved to Washington. Initially he worked on the staff at the old Emergency Hospital. Later he was chief of obstetrics anesthesia at the old Garfield Hospital. Subsequently he was on the teaching and executive staff at the old Doctors Hospital in Washington.

From 1977 until he retired in 1985, Dr. Elsberg was an anesthesiologist at Circle Terrace Hospital in Alexandria and Mount Vernon Hospital in Fairfax.

He was a diplomate of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, a fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine, and a member of the Southern and D.C. Medical Societies.

He was a violinist and for several years he had played with the Alexandria Civic Symphony Orchestra where he was assistant concert master and a member of the board of directors.

Dr. Elsberg was also a boating enthusiast and a member of the Northern Virginia Power Squadron and fleet surgeon of the Old Dominion Boat Club.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth M. Elsberg of Alexandria; one son, David D. Elsberg of Alexandria; one daughter, Betty Lee Hubbard of Wake Forest, N.C., and three grandchildren.


83, retired chief of the diplomatic and congressional travel section of the State Department's passport office, died of a heart ailment Dec. 5 at her home in Washington.

Miss Newcomb was born in Loraine, Ohio, and she grew up in Northampton, Mass.

She moved to Washington and joined the State Department in the late 1920s. For 18 years beginning in 1933 she was secretary to Francis B. Sayre while he was serving as assistant secretary of state, high commissioner to the Philippines and in several United Nations-related assignments.

She accompanied him to the Philippines and made several trips to Europe while he was serving in the United Nations capacity. After the Japanese invasion of the Philippines in December 1941, Miss Newcomb was one of a group of Americans evacuated by submarine to Australia.

Miss Newcomb retired in 1965 as head of the passport office's diplomatic and congressional travel section.

She was a member of All Souls Memorial Episcopal Church in Washington.

Survivors include two sisters, Julia Benson and Marion Exton, both of Loraine, Ohio.


66, a retired Navy captain and former program manager with the Westinghouse Corp., died Dec. 4 at Anne Arundel General Hospital in Annapolis. He had leukemia.

Capt. Fitzpatrick, who lived in Severna Park, was a native of Batavia, Ohio. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis with the class of 1944 and earned a master's degree in naval engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. During World War II, he saw destroyer duty at the invasions at Anzio and Normandy.

After the war, he served with the Bureau of Ships and the Naval Research Laboratory. His last assignment before retiring from active duty in 1969 was with the Naval Ship Systems Command. He then spent 14 years with Westinghouse in Annapolis before retiring a second time in 1983.

Capt. Fitzpatrick was a member of Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church in Severna Park, the American Society of Naval Engineers, and the Society of Naval Architectural and Marine Engineers.

Survivors include his wife, Hope B. Fitzpatrick of Severna Park; three sons, David Wayne Fitzpatrick of Green Bay, Wis., Richard Douglas Fitzpatrick of Charleston, S.C., and Steven Brewster Fitzpatrick of New York City; two daughters, Diane Harmon of Jacksonville, Fla., and Lynne Cramer of Bethesda, and eight grandchildren.


57, an administrator and social work professor at Hebrew University in Jerusalem who had worked on Capitol Hill from 1977 to 1984, died of cancer Dec. 4 at Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem. She lived in Jerusalem.

During her years on the Hill, she had been a legislative aide to Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.) and had been a specialist on aging with the House Energy Commerce Committee's health and environment subcommittee.

Mrs. Kestenbaum was a native of New York City. She was a graduate of the City College of New York and earned a master's degree in social work at the University of Pennsylvania.

She moved to the Washington area in the mid-1950s. Since the early 1970s, she had divided her time between Washington and Jerusalem, where she had lived permanently since 1984.

Mrs. Kestenbaum had been a member of both Adas Israel Congregation and Tifereth Israel Synagogue in Washington.

Survivors include her husband, Lionel, and three daughters, Connie, Naomi, and Ruth Kestenbaum, all of Jerusalem, and one brother, Stanley Evans, and one sister, Helen Rudolph, both of New York City.


75, a former teacher in the Fairfax County public school system, died Nov. 27 at Holy Cross Hospital in Salt Lake City. She had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, which is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Mrs. Iverson, a resident of the Washington area from 1946 to 1972, was born in Helena, Mont. She attended the University of Washington and graduated from Western Montana College and the University of Montana with a bachelor's degree in education. As a young woman she taught in Montana.

She moved here in 1946 at the time of her marriage to John R. Iverson. The couple settled in Falls Church.

In 1957, Mrs. Iverson joined the Fairfax school system and she taught at Woodburn and Dunn Loring elementary schools. She retired in 1972 and moved to Salt Lake City.

She was a member of the American Association of University Women, the Sierra Club and the Utah Council of the Blind.

In addition to her husband, of Salt Lake City, survivors include two daughters, Caroline N.M. Iverson of Chicago and Virginia L. Whitfield of Newbury Park, Calif., and two sisters, Mrs. Jack Raftery of Helena and Mrs. Joseph F. Hale of Columbus, Ga.


90, who was a procurement officer with the Veterans Administration for 30 years before retiring in 1947, died Dec. 5 at her home in Silver Spring. She had a heart ailment.

Mrs. Crisp was born in Paw Paw, W.Va. She graduated from a business school in Cumberland, Md., before moving here and joining the government in 1917.

Her husband of 53 years, Joseph Merton Crisp, died in 1975. Survivors include one daughter, Flora Crisp (Cris) Rowse of Rockville, and four grandchildren.