C.J. George, 71, a retired Army colonel who served as military aide to Gen. George C. Marshall when Marshall was secretary of Defense and secretary of State, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 7 at a hospital in Charlotte, N.C.

Col. George was Marshall's aide from 1946 until his death in 1959, a period that also included Marshall's service as president of the American Red Cross.

Following his retirement from the Army in 1963, Col. George served as executive secretary of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. He retired from NASA in 1971.

Born in Girardville, Pa., he came to Washington and joined the Army in 1935. With the exception of two years' service in the Philippines during World War II, Col. George was based in Washington throughout his military career.

As Marshall's aide, Col. George accompanied him to several meetings of foreign ministers in Europe, particularly during the period when the Marshall plan for the economic recovery of postwar Europe was being implemented. He traveled with Marshall to London for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II and to Oslo when Marshall received the Nobel Peace prize.

Col. George was a trustee of the George C. Marshall Foundation in Lexington, Va., and a member of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

A former resident of Bowie and Fairfax, he moved to Charlotte in 1983.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret C. George of Charlotte; one son, David George of Bowie; two daughters, Barbara Trull and Margaret Lawing, both of Charlotte; and five grandchildren.


82, a former resident of Annandale, died Dec. 6 at a hospital in Savannah, Ga., after a stroke.

Mrs. Karcher was born in Pittsburgh and lived there until moving to Annandale in the early 1960s. She moved to Savannah in 1982.

Survivors include her husband, Arthur F. Karcher of Savannah; three daughters, Edna F. Slater of Worthington, Ohio, Norma K. Rennie of Savannah, and Carol A. Knee of Orange Park, Fla.; three sons, Robert H. Karcher of Mission Viejo, Calif., Edmund A. Karcher of Saratoga, Calif., and Richard W. Karcher of Trumbull, Conn.; 21 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


73, a retired General Services Administration employe who was a member of the St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in Washington, the Masons and the Veterans of Foreign Wars, died Dec. 5 at a Waynesboro, Va., nursing home where had spent the last two years. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Waniga, who lived in Springfield, was a native of Ansonia, Conn. He served with the Army Air Forces in Europe during World War II and moved to the Washington area about 1950. He worked for the GSA for 25 years before retiring in 1981 as a computer systems analyst.

His wife, Mae, died in 1980. Survivors include three brothers, Peter, of Seymour, Conn., John, of Milford, Conn., and Howard, of Santa Monica, Calif., and one sister, Rose Edgerton of Quaker Hill, Conn.


64, a retired official of the Department of Agriculture and a former president of the Mount Vernon Kiwanis Club, died Dec. 4 at a hospital in Bolivia, N.C., after a heart attack. He was stricken at his home in Southport, N.C.

Mr. Denit was born in Washington and he graduated from St. Albans School for Boys. He attended Washington & Lee University. During World War II he served in the Coast Guard in the Atlantic.

In 1947, Mr. Denit went to work for the Defense Department. In 1964, he transferred to Agriculture and he was an official in its data processing center when he retired in 1983.

A former resident of Alexandria, he moved to North Carolina in 1984.

Mr. Denit was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Elks and the Aldersgate United Methodist Church.

His marriages to Jean Denit and Paige Denit ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Denit of Southport; one daughter by his first marriage, Pamela D. Jones of Tampa, Fla.; one stepson, James O'Dell of Alexandria; one sister, Mary Connors of Alexandria, and five grandchildren.


92, a former government worker, educator, and missionary who had been a resident of this area since 1977, died Dec. 6 at Montgomery General Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Gaithersburg.

Mr. Rickard was a native of Germantown, Pa., and flew with the Army in World War I. He was a 1923 graduate of Bucknell University and earned a master's degree in English literature at the University of California at Berkeley.

Between 1924 and 1942, he was a Baptist missionary in Burma and an English professor at the University of Rangoon. During World War II, he worked for the Office of War Information and the Board of Economic Warfare.

During the 1950s, he was an official of the Asia Foundation in Karachi, director of a U.S. Information Agency center in Ankara, and an administrator with Kalamazoo College in Michigan and Marietta College in Ohio. He worked for a New York public relations firm and did fund-raising work for Meharry Medical College in Nashville before retiring in the mid-1960s. He moved here from New Jersey.

He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Gaithersburg.

Survivors include his wife, Ada Rickard of Gaithersburg; four sons, Samuel H. III, of Chevy Chase, John G., of Winston-Salem, N.C., Donald C., of Pagosa Springs, Colo., and David T., of Tacoma, Wash.; 13 grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.


56, a retired Army major's wife who had accompanied her husband to military posts around the world and who was a sales clerk at Radio Shack stores in Annandale and Lake Barcroft, died of cancer Nov. 28 at her home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Fisher was born and raised in Rawlings, Va. She had been a permanent resident of the Washington area since 1967. She had worked at Radio Shack since shortly after moving here.

Survivors include her husband, Maj. Richard L. Fisher of Alexandria; four sons, Michael Fisher of Annandale, Kelly Fisher of Alexandria, Stevan Fisher of Winchester and Daniel Fisher of Rawlings; two brothers, Willard Coleman of Warfield, Va., and Franklin Coleman of Dinwiddie County, Va.; four sisters, Lizzie Williams of Lawrenceville, Va., Mary Ann DeMars of Roanoke, and Betty Phelps and Ellen Coleman, both of Colonial Heights, and four grandchildren.


47, an Army lieutenant colonel who was a psychiatric nurse for most of his military career, died of pancreatic cancer Dec. 7 at Walter Reed Army Hospital.

Col. Synakowski, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Croyden, Pa. He joined the Army in 1958 after completing high school.

Until shortly before his death he had been chief of liaison psychiatry at an Army hospital in Landstuhl, West Germany. From 1983 to 1985 he had been senior clinical coordinator of psychiatry at Walter Reed.

Other assignments included service at Army medical facilities in Frankfurt, West Germany, Korea, San Antonio and San Francisco. His military decorations included the Meritorious Service Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster. He was a member of the Association of Military Surgeons.

Survivors include two brothers, Edward A. Stanton of Ocean City, N.J., and Raymond L. Synakowski of Bucks County, Pa.