Harald von der Fehr, 80, a retired Department of Commerce official and construction company executive, died of respiratory failure Dec. 7 at a hospital in Nashua, N.H.

Mr. von der Fehr was born in Bergen, Norway, and moved to New York City as a child. He attended Columbia University.

He was a construction executive with Hegeman-Harris Co. in New York before he first moved to the Washington area in 1941 to work on the construction of what is now the Capital Hilton Hotel on 16th Street NW. He went back to New York in 1945 but then returned to this area in the mid-1950s to work on the construction of Dulles Airport and later the Watergate apartments on Virginia Avenue NW.

In 1965 he joined the Commerce Department, and he retired in 1980 as construction manager of urban renewal projects within the Economic Development Administration.

A former resident of Bethesda, Mr. von der Fehr moved to Nashua on his retirement.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Elizabeth Larsen von der Fehr of Nashua; two daughters, Anita Beaumont of Hudson, N.H., and Linda Shelton of Sparta, N.J.; six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

BENJAMIN CANAS, 55, a painter whose work has been displayed at galleries and museums on the East Coast and in Europe and Latin America, died of an aneurysm Dec. 8 at his home in Annandale.

Mr. Canas was born in El Salvador and studied architecture at the University of El Salvador. He was an architect there before moving to the Washington area in 1969.

He worked with an architectural firm here from 1969 to 1972, then began painting full time. His specialties included abstract Indian paintings and surrealisic figures, and they were sold in galleries in New York, Miami and Puerto Rico.

Mr. Canas' paintings have been displayed also at museums and shows in New York, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Caracas, San Salvador and Paris and at the Museum of Modern Art of Latin America at the Organization of American States.

Survivors include his wife, Dora Canas of Annandale; two sons, Dr. Atilio Canas of New York City and Benjamin Canas of Washington; and one daughter, Antonia Canas of Annandale.

THOMAS HUNTER WALSH, 53, a program analyst with the Department of Energy's division of inertial fusion and a former Foreign Service officer, died of leukemia Dec. 8 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Walsh, a resident of Annandale, was born in Fort Worth. He graduated from the University of Texas, where he also earned a master's degree in European history after a year of study in Berlin on a Fulbright scholarship.

He joined the State Department in 1960. He served as an economics and political officer at embassies and consulates in Ethiopia, Ghana, India and Indonesia. In 1975 he joined the Department of Energy.

Survivors include his wife, Marjean Walsh of Annandale; two sons, Charlie Walsh of New York City and Frank Walsh of Annandale; one daughter, Alison Walsh of Charlottesville; four brothers, his twin, Frank Walsh of Dallas, Fred Walsh of Denver, and Jim and Harry Walsh, both of Houston; and five sisters, Barbara Walsh, Peggy Bell, Mary McMillan and Janice Cluck, all of Fort Worth, and Margaret Walsh of Japan.

ABRAHAM NEZIN, 96, a retired laundry manager who later did volunteer work at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Washington, died of a heart ailment Dec. 4 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville.

Mr. Nezin was born in Tbilisi in what is now the Soviet Republic of Georgia. He moved to New York when he was 13 and later lived in New Haven, Conn. During World War I he served in the Army in France.

Later he was in the laundry and grocery business in New York and New Jersey, and he made several trips around the world as laundry manager on a private yacht.

He moved to the Washington area in 1940 and was owner and manager of the Capitol Laundry & Dry Cleaning Co. and later manager of Tower Laundry in Washington. He retired in the late 1950s.

Mr. Nezin was a member of the Jewish War Veterans, and he had received several awards for volunteer work at the VA hospital here. He was a member of the Samuel Gompers Masonic Lodge. For several years he had played the violin with a group called the Music Makers.

His wife of 54 years, Celia Nezin, died in 1981.

Survivors include two daughters, Etta N. Becker and Eve N. Plotkin, both of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.

SOL LEVINE, 73, a Navy Department engineer who specialized in antisubmarine warfare projects, died of a brain tumor Dec. 5 at the Manor Care Nursing Home in Arlington.

Mr. Levine had worked for the Department of the Navy here since 1967. For 10 years before that he had been based in Baltimore working on the Gemini Space Project with the Martin Marietta Corp.

A resident of Fairfax, he was born in Bentleyville, Pa. He graduated from Waynesburg College. He earned a master's degree in electrical engineering at New York University and a master's degree in computer sciences at George Washington University. He received an honorary doctorate at Waynesburg.

He was an engineer in New York before moving to Baltimore to work on the Gemini space project.

Mr. Levine was author of a book about the Gemini space project and of three other books about engineering and methematics. As a young man he had worked with underwater explorer Jacques Cousteau in the development of equipment to measure ocean depths.

His marriage to Betty Levine ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara McAvoy Levine of Fairfax, and two sons by his first marriage, Richard E. Levine of Baltimore and James R. Levine of Miami.

LLOYD HAROLD SIMS, 65, a certified public accountant in the Washington area since 1953 and an associate with the accounting firm of Bond Beebe Barton & Muckelbauer, died Dec. 7 at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Sims, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Princeton, Mo. He served in the Navy in the Pacific in World War II. He moved to the Washington area in 1947 and graduated from Benjamin Franklin University, where he also earned a master's degree in accounting.

In 1953 he founded a CPA practice with his brother, William, who died in 1967. He continued his practice over the next 16 years and merged in 1983 with Bond Beebe.

Mr. Sims was a member of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. He also was a member of the Kiwanis Club and the Argyle Country Club in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife, LaVerne R. Sims of Silver Spring; two sons, Bradley R. Sims of Atlanta and Jay J. Sims of Silver Spring; and one grandson.

KATHRYN D. WALTZ, 85, a former Washington resident who was active in church and civic groups, died Dec. 1 at a nursing home in Phoenixville, Pa., of complications after a stroke.

Mrs. Waltz was born in Philadelphia and moved to Washington when she was a child. She graduated from Central High School and as a young woman she did clerical work at the State Department.

She sang in the choirs at St. Paul's Lutheran Church and St. Mark's-Incarnation Lutheran Church in Washington and she was a member of the Parkview Women's Club and the Order of the Eastern Star.

In 1960 she moved to West Chester, Pa.

Her husband, George F. Waltz, died in 1976.

Survivors include one daughter, Helen W. Boyd of Humble, Tex.; two sons, Robert G. Waltz of Glen Arm, Md., and William R. Waltz of Phoenixville; two brothers, W.L. Drissel of Gaithersburg and retired Army Col. V.H. Drissel of Littleton, Colo.; one sister, Bernice D. Lewis of Bethesda; 12 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

GEORGE KORTE SR., 77, a certified land surveyor who had conducted a private practice in Northern Virginia since 1961, died of lung cancer Dec. 8 at Fairfax Hospital.

Over the years Mr. Korte did considerable work in connection with the construction of roads and high-rise office buildings in the Roslyn area of Arlington, an area of which he had particular professional knowledge. He also worked on a wide variety of other projects in Northern Virginia.

A resident of Falls Church since 1951, he was born in Richmond. He attended Villanova University and became an assistant engineer in the Virginia Department of Highways. During World War II, he worked for the Navy Department in Williamsburg.

He later went to work as an assistant engineer at the Army Engineer School at Fort Belvoir. From 1951 to 1955, he was chief of survey for the M.T. Broyhill Construction Co. From 1955 until he entered private practice, he worked for Kendrick & Redinger, consulting engineers.

Mr. Korte was a member of the Virginia Association of Surveyors, the Arlington Optimists Club and St. James Catholic Church.

Survivors include his wife, Katreen M. Korte of Falls Church; three children, Edward M. Korte of Los Angeles, George (Slim) Korte Jr. of Herndon, and Treena Rinaldi of Oakton; three sisters, Elizabeth Wurtz of Southold, N.Y., Mary Rhodes of Culpeper, and Katherine Fulton of Winston-Salem, N.C.; one brother, Bernard Korte of Marion, Va., and nine grandchildren.

DOMENICO CANALI, 67, a chef at the Organization of American States since 1977 who formerly worked at Argentine embassies in Washington and Moscow, died of cancer Dec. 8 at his home in Silver Srping.

Mr. Canali was born in Italy. He served in the Italian army in World War II. In the early 1950s he went to Stockholm as a chef in the Italian Embassy. While there he heard of an opening in the Argentine Embassy in Moscow and he worked in the Soviet capital from 1954 to 1960.

He next moved to New York, where he worked at the United Nations.

In 1961, he moved to the Washington area to work as a chef at the Argentine Embassy here. He stayed in that job until joining the OAS.

Mr. Canali was a member of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife, Maria Pura Canali of Silver Spring; two children, Luigi Canali of Gaithersburg and Liliana Canali of Silver Spring; one sister, Giuseppina Re of Australia, and one grandchild.

MARJORIE MAE PARNELL, 61, a Marine Corps brigadier general's wife who was active in service organizations, died of cancer Dec. 9 at Walter Reed Army Hospital.

Mrs. Parnell, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Lansing, Mich. She accompanied her husband, Brig. Gen. Edward A. Parnell, to military posts around the United States while he was on active duty. They had been permanent residents of the Washington area since 1963.

Mrs. Parnell was a past president of the Marine Officers Wives Club, and a member of the Navy Relief Society, the Hillandale Wives Club and the Women's Daytime Bridge Group of Hillandale.

In addition to her husband, of Silver Spring, she is survived by a son, Donald Edward Parnell of Vienna; three daughters, Gail Marie Parnell of Arlington and Sharon Louise and Peggy Ann Parnell, both of Silver Spring; her mother, Marie Donald of Siesta Key, Fla.; a sister, Doris Cahill of Lakewood, Colo.; a brother, Robert Mitchell of Lake Dallas, Tex., and a grandchild.

WILLIAM J. WALSMITH, 82, a retired deputy chief in the D.C. Fire Department, died Dec. 8 at the Pleasant Living Nursing Home in Edgewater, Md., of cardiac arrest and the effects of a stroke.

Mr. Walsmith, a resident of Wheaton, was born in Washington and graduated from Central High School. He attended the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn.

He served 34 years in the D.C. Fire Department before he retired in 1964.

He was a member of the Washington Bridge Club and the Association of Retired Fire Fighters, and he was an enthusiastic fisherman, golfer and gardener.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth P. Walsmith of Wheaton; one son, Joseph F. Walsmith of Edgewater; one daughter, Anne W. Monteith of Alexandria; one sister, Retta W. Dillon of Washington; six grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

GEORGE M. LUCEY SR., 79, a retired assistant regional director with the Office of Emergency Preparedness, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 8 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Kensington.

Mr. Lucey was born in New York City. He graduated from Columbia University, where he also received a law degree. He moved to the Washington area in 1940 and went to work for the Office for Emergency Management.

He later worked for several other federal civil defense agencies before retiring in 1969 from the Office of Emergency Preparedness.

Mr. Lucey was a member of the Rock Creek Hills Citizens Association in Kensington and the Capital Cotillion Club. He also was a founding member of the Lakew od Country Club in Rockville.

His first wife, Margaret Brower Lucey, died in 1972.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy S. Lucey of Kensington; two sons by his first marriage, George M. Lucey Jr. and Richard J. Lucey, both of Silver Spring; two stepdaughters, Dana Godbout-Laake of Kensington and Susan Clark of McLean; two sisters, Hilda Harley of Winston-Salem, N.C., and Eileen Hoffman of Ligonier, Pa., and nine grandchildren.