Robert S. Taylor, 75, a retired piano teacher and an importer of German harpsichords, died Dec. 9 at Kensington Gardens Nursing Center. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Taylor, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Boise, Idaho, and attended the College of Idaho. He moved to the Washington area in 1936 and graduated from the Washington Musical Institute, where he was a piano teacher. During World War II he served in the Army Air Forces.

In 1949 Mr. Taylor began teaching private piano lessons in Bethesda. He also imported, then sold, rented and repaired German harpsichords. He retired in 1985.

He participated in folk and square dancing organizations, and in Scottish country dance groups. He was a member of the St. Andrew's Society and the Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife, Mary W. Taylor of Bethesda; three daughters, Constance Taylor of New York City, Jane Birnn of South River, N.J., and Amy Barse of Kensington; two sisters, Alice Walter of Boise and Mary Schwiebert of Caldwell, Idaho; a brother, Dr. David Taylor of Portland, Ore., and a grandchild.

GERTRUDE W. SLADEK, 80, the founder and former president of the German Language Society in Washington, died of pneumonia Dec. 10 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville.

Dr. Sladek was born in Brno, Czechoslovakia. She received a doctorate in French and German literature and philosophy at the German University in Prague and also studied at the Geneva School of International Relations.

She moved to Washington in 1935. During the 1940s she was an Czechslovak specialist with the Library of Congress and later an Eastern European specialist with the old Office of Strategic Services. For two years during the mid-1950s, she worked with the United Nations Educational, Social and Cultural Organization in Paris. She also had lectured on Czechslovakia for the American Association of University Women and done free-lance research and translations.

In 1961 Dr. Sladek founded the German Language Society, a cultural forum conducted in German and supported by the ambassadors of West Germany, Austria and Switzerland. For her work in that organization, Dr. Sladek was awarded the Commander's Cross of the Order of Merit by West Germany and the Gold Medal of Honor by Austria.

Her husband, Jaromil V. Sladek, died in 1972.

There are no immediate survivors.

JOHN FRANCIS D'AMICO, 40, an associate professor of history at George Mason University, died Dec. 8 at a hospital in Jerusalem after a heart attack.

Dr. D'Amico, who specialized in Europe during the Renaissance and the Reformation, had been on leave this semester to study at the American Academy in Rome. He was in Jerusalem to deliver a lecture when he was stricken.

A native of Philadelphia, he graduated from St. Joseph's College there. He received master's and doctoral degrees in history from the University of Rochester. He did post-doctoral study at the University of Pennsylvania, the American Academy in Rome and Stanford University.

In 1980, Dr. D'Amico moved to this area and joined the faculty at George Mason University. He lived in Fairfax.

He was author of two books, "Renaissance Humanism at Papal Rome: Humanists and Churchmen on the Eve of the Reformation," which won the American Catholic Historical Association's best Italian history book award in 1983, and "Theory and Practice in Renaissance Textual Criticism: Beatus Rhenanus between Conjecture and History."

Survivors include his mother, Carmella D'Amico of Philadelphia, and one brother and one sister.

WILLEEN A. McMILLAN, 34, a former teacher's aide with the D.C. public school system, died of liver failure and pneumonia Dec. 8 at a hospital in New York City. She lived in Staten Island, N.Y.

Miss McMillan was born in Washington and graduated from Dunbar High School. She worked for the D.C. public school system from 1972 to 1985, when she moved to New York.

She had been a member of the Washingtonians Dance Club.

Survivors include her mother, Mary L. Timberlake, and her stepfather, Bernell Timberlake, both of Staten Island; four brothers, Christopher McMillan of Napanoch, N.Y., Lester McMillan of Norwalk, Conn., and Jerome and Ronnie McMillan, both of Washington; two sisters, Lorraine Thomas and Loretta McMillan, both of Washington, and a grandmother, Lucille Shingler of Norwalk.

SARAH ADAMS INWOOD, 78, a resident of the Washington area from 1946 to 1986, died Dec. 2 at the Mendocino Coast District Hospital in Fort Bragg, Calif., of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Mrs. Inwood was born in Corydon, Ind., and graduated from Indiana University. She married Dr. Eugene Richard Inwood, an officer in the Army Medical Corps who retired as a colonel. Before settling here she accompanied him to military posts in various parts of the country, including Hawaii.

Dr. Inwood died last year, and Mrs. Inwood, a former resident of Bethesda, moved to Fort Bragg.

Survivors include one son, William Richard Inwood of Fort Bragg; two brothers, Frank Adams of New Albany, Ind., and Rowland Adams of Albuquerque, and two grandchildren.

LOIS MAXINE HINKLEY, 64, a retired employe of the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., died of cancer Dec. 8 at her home in Compton, Md.

Miss Hinkley was born in Kimball, S.D. She moved to the Washington area while serving in the Marine Corps during World War II. She joined the telephone company after the war. She retired in 1978 from the rates and tarriffs department where her duties involved the preparation of rate cases.

Survivors include one brother, Donald Hinkley of Rapid City, S.D.

FRIEDA B. ARVIN, 92, a retired clerk-typist with the Department of the Navy, died of a stroke Dec. 10 at the Presbyterian Retirement Home in Washington.

Mrs. Arvin was born in Lake Wilson, Minn. She moved to the Washington area in 1941 and went to work for the Navy Department in 1953. She retired about 1972.

She was a member of Covenant Presbyterian Church in Woodbridge, where she was active with the senior citizens group. She also was a founding member of Calvary Presbyterian Church in Alexandria.

Her husband, Raymond Arvin, died in 1959. Survivors include three daughters, Mary Breedon of Alexandria, Twyla Hudnall of Woodbridge, and Raymona Johanek of Fort Scott, Ill.; and five grandchildren.

W. CLARKE MATTINGLEY, 68, the owner and president of the Mattingley Funeral Home in Leonardtown, Md., died of cardiac arrest Dec. 11 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. Mattingley was a lifelong resident of Leonardtown. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific. He took over his family's funeral home business in the early 1950s and operated it until his death.

Survivors include his wife, Joyce Addison Mattingley, and one son, Howard Addison Mattingley, both of Leonardtown; one daughter, Charlene Mattingley Kelly of Chula Vista, Calif.; three sisters, Lucille Juenger of Philadelphia, Mary Spates Quinn of Silver Spring, and Mary Ann Williams of Alexandria, and one brother, Francis de Sales Mattingly of Leonardtown.

ANDREW L. HANKOWSKI, 82, a retired special agent with the Internal Revenue Service, died of cancer Dec. 11 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Falls Church.

Mr. Hankowski was born in Minneapolis. He graduated from the University of Minnesota, where he also earned a law degree.

He had a private law practice in Minneapolis before joining the IRS in Chicago in 1945. He transferred to the Washington area in 1965 and retired in 1971.

Mr. Hankowski was a member of the Elks Club and St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Falls Church.

Survivors include his wife, Ann Hankowski of Falls Church; two daughters, Andrea Thompson of Culpeper, Va., and Sherry Lee Shaffer of Smithfield, Pa.; one brother, John Hankowski of Norman, Okla.; one sister, Maryann Smith of Minneapolis; and seven grandchildren.

HENRY GEORGE BERGESON, 80, a retired dispatcher with the appliance service department of the Potomac Electric Power Co., where he worked for 40 years, died of cancer Dec. 10 at his home in McLean.

Mr. Bergeson was born in Washington. He attended the old Central High School and the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service. He went to work for PEPCO in 1927 and retired in 1967.

For the past 15 years he had been treasurer of the Washington Alumni Association of Delta Phi Epsilon, the professional Foreign Service fraternity. He also was an avid golfer.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret W. Bergeson of McLean; one son, James Bergeson of Santa Rosa, Calif.; one brother, Andrew Bergeson of West Palm Beach, Fla., and one sister, Josephine B. Hendrick of Gaithersburg.