Wilbur E. (Bill) Cunningham, 71, the retired owner of a paint distribution company in Washington, died Dec. 11 at Suburban Hospital of congestive heart failure. He lived in Bethesda.

Mr. Cunningham was born in Bethesda and graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School. He began his career in the paint business in 1933 as a clerk with W.R. Winslow & Co., a paint distribution concern. He became general sales manager of Winslow before opening his own business, the Cunningham Paint Co., in 1953.

He closed that company in 1973 and joined the Clark-Fontana Paint Co. He retired in 1977 and became a consultant with the company.

Mr. Cunningham was a member of the Builders and Owners Management Association, the Washington Paint Club, the Optimist Club and the Knights of Columbus. He also served on the board of the Washington Boys Club.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Rose Callow Cunningham of Bethesda; three sons, William J. Cunningham of Rockville, James F. Cunningham of Baltimore, and John W. Cunningham of Herndon; two brothers, Eugene Cunningham of Gloucester City, N.J., and Floyd Cunningham of Gaithersburg, and four grandchildren.


57, an industrial and logistics engineer with CACI Inc. in Arlington and retired Navy officer who also had been an adjunct professor at the American University business school, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Dec. 2 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. Calnan was a native and resident of Washington and a graduate of Wilson High School.

He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1953 and received a master's degree in education at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

After his graduation from Annapolis, he spent four years on active duty, including service as a destroyer gunnery officer.

He retired from active duty in 1957 as a lieutenant and from the Navy reserves as a lieutenant commander in 1973.

From 1957 until returning to Washington in 1966, he worked for Honeywell and ITT in the Midwest. From 1966 to 1980, he worked for the Stanwick Corp. and the General Research Corp. here.

He had worked with CACI, a concern with Navy engineering contracts, since 1980.

Mr. Calnan was a member of Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Washington, the American Society of Naval Engineers, the Society of Logistics Engineers, the Institute of Industrial Engineers, and the U.S. Naval Institute.

Survivors include his wife, Katherine R., of Washington; two sons, Kevin, of Albuquerque, and Kristofer, of Washington; a daughter, Kim Calnan-Crismali of Port Jefferson Village, N.Y.; a brother, retired Army Col. William M. Calnan of Fairfax, and a sister, Terry Sterner of Santa Fe, N.M.


63, a former area resident who had worked for the GEICO insurance company for the past 32 years, died of a heart ailment Dec. 10 at a hospital in Virginia Beach. He lived in Virginia Beach.

At the time of his death, he was a claims department supervisor and member of GEICO's managing staff.

Mr. Kenniweg, who lived in the Washington area from 1950 to 1983, was a native of Brownsville, Pa. He was a World War II veteran of the Army Air Forces, a graduate of Waynesburg College in Pennsylvania, and had attended the International Law School in Washington.

He had been a member of the Vienna Host Lions Club.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara M., and a daughter, Anna Kenniweg, both of Virginia Beach; three sons, Earl III, of Poolesville, Eric, of Vienna, and Chris, of Virginia Beach, and his mother, Leatha Kenniweg, and a sister, Carol Provance, both of Brownsville, Pa.


79, a member of Adas Israel Congregation in Washington who had worked on its fund-raising committees, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 11 at his home in Chevy Chase.

He had been a self-employed real estate investor. Mr. Bindeman, who moved to the Washington area in 1925, was born in Baltimore.

Survivors include his wife, Jean, of Chevy Chase, and a brother, Nate, of Bethesda.