Oswald L. Harvey, 88, a retired editor at the Department of Labor and the department's first appointed historian, died of an aneurysm Dec. 13 at Holy Cross Hospital.
Dr. Harvey, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Cape Town, South Africa. During World War I, he served in the British Royal Flying Corps. He graduated from the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg.
In 1927, he came to the United States to study for a doctorate in education at Harvard University. After receiving his degree he taught at various universities until 1935, when he moved to Washington.
Dr. Harvey began his career here with the old National Youth Administration and the President's Commission on Education. In 1938, he joined the Labor Department. He worked in the bureau of apprenticeship until 1945, when he was transferred to the Office of Information. There he became chief editor of all Labor Department publications. Shortly before his retirement in 1962, he was named the department's official historian.
In retirement Dr. Harvey sculpted in wood and a number of his pieces are on display in Montgomery County schools and libraries. He also studied chronology, the science of measuring time, and he wrote a book on the subject that was published by the American Philosophical Society.
Survivors include his wife, Katherine A. Harvey of Silver Spring; two sons, Alan D. Harvey of Ijamsville, Md., and Donald B. Harvey of Silver Spring, and two granddaughters. HELEN McCARTHY HOLMAN, 89, a retired teacher in the Prince George's County public school system who was active in the Democratic Party in Maryland, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 12 at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring.
Mrs. Holman, a resident of Bowie, was born in Ashland, Pa. She graduated from West Chester (Pa.) State University and also from the University of Maryland. As a young woman she was a teacher in her hometown.
In 1935, she moved to the Washington area and during World War II she worked for the War Production Board.
In 1952, after the death of her husband, Adam Truman Holman, she became a teacher in the Prince George's schools. She taught at the Bowie and Highbridge Elementary schools and she retired about 1968.
Mrs. Holman was a member of the United Democratic Women's Clubs of Maryland and Southern Maryland and of the 14th District and Sasscer Democratic clubs in Prince George's County.
She also was a member of the Department of Agriculture Extension Wives Group, the West Chester State Alumni Association and the Ascension Catholic Church.
Survivors include two daughters, Katheryn A. Hovde of Rockville and Ellen D. Holman of Bowie; three sons, Adam T. Holman Jr. of New York City, John T. Holman of Bowie and Edward B. Holman of McLean; 10 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren. IRENE CRAIG PILSON, 93, a resident of the Washington area since 1920 who had been a Republican Party volunteer and a member of the Chevy Chase Club, died Dec. 11 at the Carroll Manor nursing home in Hyattsville. She had chronic brain syndrome.
Mrs. Pilson, who had lived at Carroll Manor since 1980, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. In 1916, she went to Tennessee to work for the late Kenneth D. McKellar, a Democrat who was elected to the U.S. Senate that year. After moving here in 1920 she worked for Cordell Hull, who became secretary of state under President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Mrs. Pilson was a volunteer for Sen. Barry Goldwater (Ariz.) when he was the GOP presidential candidate in 1964.
Her husband, Edwin Houston Pilson, died in 1979.
Survivors include four children, Anne Pilson Smyth of Selbyville, Del., Elizabeth Pilson Imirie of Chevy Chase, Edwin Houston Pilson Jr. of Washington and Benjamin Franklin Pilson of Rockville; one sister, Alice Craig Martin, and one brother, John Cedric Craig, both of Staten Island, N.Y.; nine grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. SAMUEL KOTZ, 93, who owned and operated the Mount Pleasant Street Market in Washington for about 20 years before 1960 when he sold the grocery and retired, died Dec. 13 at Potomac Valley nursing home in Potomac, where he had lived the past year. He had Alzheimer's disease.
He was a past vice president of the District Grocery Stores, a trade organization. He was a 1951 recipient of an award from Quality Grocery Magazine.
Mr. Kotz was born in Vilna, Lithuania, and he came to this country and the Washington area in 1906. Before starting the Mount Pleasant Street Market, he worked in other area groceries.
He was a founder of the Israel Investors Club and had served on the executive board of the local chapter of B'nai B'rith. He was a member of the Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah Congregation in Washington and men's club of Adas Israel Congregation.
His wife, Fay, died in 1986. Survivors include one son, Dr. Herbert L. Kotz of Potomac, and three grandchildren. RAYMOND NEWKIRK, 75, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel who also had been an counterintelligence specialist with the FBI and the Central Intelligence Agency, died of a heart ailment Dec. 8 at his home in Clearwater, Fla.
Col. Newkirk was born in Danbury, Conn. He graduated from Georgetown University and its law school. He served in the FBI here in the late 1930s and early 1940s.
During World War II he served in the old Office of Strategic Services in Europe. He served in the CIA in the late 1940s. In 1949, he went on active duty in the Air Force and he was assigned to the Office of Special Investigations as a counterintelligence specialist here until he retired in 1965 with the rank of lieutenant colonel.
A former resident of Washington, Col. Newkirk moved to Clearwater on his retirement.
Survivors include his wife, Kitty Newkirk of Clearwater, and two sons, W. Douglas Newkirk of Bethesda and Kenneth Newkirk of Orlando, Fla. WALTER WILLIAM COSBY, 93, who worked for the General Motors Acceptance Corp. here for about 35 years before retiring in the early 1960s as an accounting manager, died of pneumonia Dec. 13 at his home in the Goodwin House West in Falls Church.
Mr. Cosby, who moved here about 1920, was a native of Brandy Station, Va. He graduated from the Virginia Military Institute in 1916, then taught physics and mathematics there for the next two years.
He had served on the board of the Visiting Nurses Association of Arlington. He had been a member of the Stevens Masonic Lodge in Culpeper since 1916.
Survivors include his wife of 68 years, Laura Massie Cosby, of Falls Church; one son, Walter Jr., of Springfield; one daughter, Hope Massie Cosby Davies of Fairfax; four grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. ANNE BYLER COYLE, 81, a lifelong resident of the Washington area who was active in the Episcopal Church, died of emphysema Dec. 11 at Mount Vernon Hospital in Alexandria.
Mrs. Coyle, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Washington. She graduated from McKinley Technical High School and the Washington School for Secretaries. In the 1930s she worked briefly for the Census Bureau and for a private company.
Over the years Mrs. Coyle was a member of a number of Episcopal churches in the Washington area and she was a Sunday School teacher at several of them. At Trinity Episcopal Church in Washington she also was a member of the Women's Guild and vice president of the Daughters of the King. At the time of her death she was a member of the Ascension Episcopal Church in Silver Spring.
Her husband, Leslie F. Coyle, died in 1973.
Survivors include three children, James L. Coyle and John F. Coyle, both of Silver Spring, and Margaret A. Coyle of Alexandria; one sister, Mabel Byler, also of Silver Spring, and two grandsons. WILSON P. GILL, 78, a retired engineer with the Army Corps of Engineers, died of cancer Dec. 12 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia in Arlington.
Mr. Gill, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Lumberton, Miss. He graduated from Mississippi State University, where he majored in electrical engineering. In the 1930s, he worked for the Tennessee Valley Authority and the Panama Canal Co.
During World War II he served in the Navy in the Pacific.
After the war he settled in the Washington area and went to work for the Corps of Engineers, where he was a specialist on hydroelectric projects. He retired about 1977.
Mr. Gill was a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and the First Baptist Church of Alexandria.
Survivors include his wife, Merle Williams Gill of Alexandria, and three sisters, Hilda Smith of Hazelhurst, Miss., Tommie Lou Guntharp of San Antonio, and Mildred Thomas of Columbus, Miss.