Polly F. Morrison, 92, who owned and operated the Gralyn Hotel for the past 50 years, died of respiratory failure Dec. 14 at the Woodbine Nursing Home in Alexandria.
Mrs. Morrison, a Washington resident who had lived in Alexandria for the last two months, was born in Mount Sidney, Va. She graduated from what became James Madison University and also received a law degree.
A year after her husband, Hamilton Morrison, died in 1928, Mrs. Morrison moved to the Washington area. She worked at several jobs and bought a house in the 1700 block of N Street NW. She eventually added a second house and opened the Gralyn Hotel at 1745 N St. NW in the late 1930s.
She was sometimes called "The Mayor of N Street" because of her efforts to preserve historic sites and landmarks on the street.
She was a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the English-Speaking Union, and St. John's Epsicopal Church, Lafayette Square.
She also was an associate member of the American Newspaper Women's Club and a fellow of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
Survivors include one sister, Alma Moore of Staunton, Va., and two brothers, K.C. Moore of Harrisonburg, Va., and Stanley Moore of Mount Sidney.
PATRICIA MAHRER GRAHAM,
65, a former owner and operator of the Sterling Hotel in Sterling, died Dec. 13 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. She had cancer.
Mrs. Graham, who lived in Sterling, was born in Baltimore. She graduated from Beacom Business College in Delaware. She moved to the Washington area in 1964 and owned the Sterling Hotel with her husband, Charles H. Graham, until 1982, when they sold the establishment and retired. She had been a member of the Loudoun County Democratic Committee since 1972.
In addition to her husband, of Sterling, survivors include two daughters, Elizabeth H. Graham of Washington and Charlotte V. Hastings of Vicenza, Italy; two sons, John P. Graham of Herndon and Robert H. Graham of Greensburg, Pa.; one sister, Elizabeth Dalaba of Kaysville, Utah, and two granddaughters.
81, a former secretary, editorial assistant and writer at The Washington Post who later worked at The Post's radio stations, WINX and WTOP, died Dec. 14 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke.
Miss Lewis, a lifelong resident of Washington, was a graduate of Western High School and the Washington School for Secretaries.
She held several secretarial jobs before joining The Post in 1934 as a secretary in the editorial department. During World War II she was an editorial assistant and writer. After the war, she returned to secretarial work. In 1947, Miss Lewis transferred to radio station WINX. She moved to WTOP when The Post purchased that station in 1949, and she retired in 1968.
In retirement she was a volunteer at the Smithsonian Institution, most recently at the information desk at the Air and Space Museum. She also had been a library volunteer at the Washington Cathedral and she did inspection walks along the C&O Canal to report to the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Association on needed repairs.
Miss Lewis was one of several manuscript readers for "Capital Losses," a book on the cultural history of Washington's destroyed buildings. She was a member of St. Alban's Episcopal Church in Washington and a vice president of the E Streeters, an organization of people who worked at The Post when it was located at 14th and E streets N.W.
She has no immediate survivors.
MABEL PAVEY BLACKBURN,
96, a longtime resident of Takoma Park who had done volunteer work, died of dehydration Dec. 14 at the Presbyterian Home of the District of Columbia.
Mrs. Blackburn was born in Columbus, Ohio, and moved to the Washington area in 1917. During the 1920s she was a typist at the Department of Agriculture's bureau of markets. She had been a Red Cross volunteer at Walter Reed Army Hospital and had also done volunteer work at the Takoma Thrift Shop.
Mrs. Blackburn was a member of the Takoma Park Presbyterian Church, the Takoma Park Women's Club and Circle Four of the Takoma Park Mothers Club. Her husband, Frederic B. Blackburn, died in 1982.
Survivors include one son, Charles Alfred Blackburn of Columbia; two sisters, Grace D. Schmaltz of Memphis and Fay Smith of Waverly, Ohio; two brothers, Dr. Charles W. Pavey of Columbus and Roy D. Pavey of New Albany, Ohio, and two grandsons.