Frederic W. Collins, 81, retired Washington bureau chief of the Providence Journal and a former president of the Gridiron Club, was found dead Dec. 15 at his home in Washington. The D.C. medical examiner's office said he died of a heart ailment.

Mr. Collins joined the Journal's Washington bureau in 1942, and he was its chief from 1945 until he retired from the newspaper in 1960. During the mid-1960s, Mr. Collins was Washington correspondent for what then were the Ridder Publications, and he also wrote for the New Republic and the Sunday Times of London.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, he worked at the National Science Foundation here.

In 1965, Mr. Collins was president of the Gridiron Club, an organization of journalists that produces a show satirizing government figures at its annual dinner. He often wrote the lyrics for the Gridiron shows.

A native of Whitman, Mass., Mr. Collins graduated from Brown University. He worked for the Providence Journal in Providence before moving to Washington.

He was a member of the National Press Club and the Metropolitan Club.

His wife of 48 years, Margaret V. Kelly Collins, died in 1979.

Survivors include two daughters, Susan C. Wroth of Portland, Maine, and Martha C. Keen of Richmond; two sisters, Marion C. Dervin of Quincy, Mass., and Genevieve C. Osborn of Plymouth, Mass., and five grandchildren.


68, retired director of federal governmental relations for Westinghouse Electric Corp., died of cancer Dec. 14 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Lovett was born in Detroit and graduated from the University of Michigan. He received a master's degree in meteorology from the University of Chicago, and during World War II he was an Army Air Forces meteorologist assigned in the Canal Zone.

After the war, Mr. Lovett received a law degree from Harvard Law School. He was vice president of the missile division of Chrysler Corp. in Detroit before he came to Washington in 1967 to work for Westinghouse.

He retired in 1984 but continued as a consultant to Westinghouse until September of this year.

Mr. Lovett was a tennis player and golfer and a member of Congressional Country Club, the Capitol Hill Club and the International Club.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy M. Lovett of Bethesda; one son, James B. Lovett of Detroit; one daughter, Janice McLeister of Fort Wayne, Ind., and five grandchildren.


83, an architect who retired from the General Services Administration in 1966 as chief of design in Public Buildings Administration, died of heart ailments Dec. 14 at his home in North Port, Fla.

Mr. Witherell, a former Springfield resident, was born in Taunton, Mass. He graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

In 1934, Mr. Witherell moved to the Washington area and went to work for the old Works Progress Administration as an architect. He joined the Public Buildings Administration in the late 1940s.

As its chief of design, he worked on several buildings in the National Institutes of Health complex in Bethesda and on several buildings at the University of Alaska campus in College, Alaska. Other projects included the case and backdrop for the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution in the National Archives.

Mr. Witherell also was architectural consultant to the Federal Reserve System.

He moved to Florida in 1968.

Survivors include his wife, Beryl Witherell of North Port; two children, Julian W. Witherell of Alexandria and Harriet W. Ellington of Woodbridge, and two grandchildren.


72, an editor of newsletters and a member of several cooperative organizations, died Dec. 12 at Suburban Hospital after a stroke. She lived in Chevy Chase.

Mrs. Wood, who was born in New York City, was a resident of the Washington area since 1941.

She was a former director of the Rochdale Cooperative, a grocery cooperative in Washington during the 1940s, and she had participated in the formation and management of several cooperative nursery schools. She was a founding member of the Bannockburn Co Operators Community in Bethesda.

Mrs. Wood was a member of the choir at River Road Unitarian Church in Bethesda, and she had been newsletter editor for the church and for several community organizations. She was a member of the Montgomery a Capella Chorus and of the Oratorio Society.

She served on the membership committee and edited the newsletter of the Potomac River Power Squadron.

Survivors include her husband, Ramsay Wood of Chevy Chase; two sons, Michael Wood of Sewaren, N.J., and Peter Wood of Brunswick, Md.; two daughters, Barbara Stuck of Dale City and Alice Griffin of Roxbury, Conn.; one sister, Elsbeth Liebowitz of Denver, and eight grandchildren.


86, a retired newspaper reporter and public relations and advertising official, died of kidney failure Dec. 6 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Heiney, who lived in Falls Church, was born in Huntington, Ind. He graduated from Butler University.

He was a reporter on the Indianapolis News before moving to Washington in 1929 to take a staff job with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. From 1933 to 1937, Mr. Heiney worked at The Washington Post as an assistant promotions manager and author of a radio column.

Later he worked for CBS Radio in Washington and during World War II he was a radio producer for the Office of War Information. After the war he worked in the radio and television public relations and advertising department for Ford Motor Co. in Michigan and in the Washington office of the J. Walter Thompson advertising agency. Since 1960 Mr. Heiney had done freelance public relations and advertising work.

His marriage to Pauline Heiney ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Delphine Heiney of Falls Church; three children by his first marriage, John Heiney of San Francisco, Mary Anne Neuses of Waukegan, Ill., and Jane Bliven of Albuquerque, N.M.; one son by his second marriage, Michael Heiney of Woodbridge; eight grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


77, who served in the Army Nurse Corps in World War II and later was a registered nurse at Circle Terrace Hospital in Alexandria, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Dec. 14 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Perry Point, Md. She lived in Alexandria.

Mrs. Leedy was born in Hamilton, Ontario. She graduated from the nursing program at the Hamilton General Hospital and had studied at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

She moved to the United States in the 1930s and worked at hospitals in the Albany, N.Y., area. While in the Army Nurse Corps she served in North Africa and Italy.

After the war, she worked for the Veterans Administration in Dallas. She moved to the Washington area from Cincinnati in 1952. During the 1960s, she worked at Alexandria Hospital. She was employed at Circle Terrace Hospital from about 1970 until she retired in 1977.

Survivors include her husband, Herbert B. Leedy of Alexandria; two sons, John F. Leedy of Webster, Tex., and William B. Leedy of Lexington, Va.; two sisters, Helen Turcotte and Florence Hodgson, and one brother, William Hodgson, all of Hamilton, and one grandson.


68, a retired Air Force colonel who was an intelligence specialist for most of his military career, died Dec. 15 at his home in Oxon Hill after a heart attack.

Col. Clark was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and graduated from St. John's University. He joined the Army Air Corps shortly before the United States entered World War II, and during the war he was a bombing flight analysis officer in the Pacific.

After the war, he did postgraduate study in history at Columbia University, but returned to military service after one year. He served in Alaska, Japan and Washington and graduated from the Air Force Command and Staff School and the Air War College. In 1961, he was part of the Air Force delegation that helped establish the Defense Intelligence Agency.

Col. Clark was a base commander at Wakkanai, Japan, from 1965 to 1967, then was assigned to Air Force security headquarters in San Antonio. He was transferred to the Pentagon in 1969 and he retired in 1971.

His military decorations included the Legion of Merit, the Air Force Commendation Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters and the Joint Service Commendation Medal.

In retirement he had been active in the Association of Former Intelligence Officers and had been director of the base retiree activities office at Andrews Air Force Base.

He was a student of the Civil War and at his death he was writing a book on the Battle of Antietam.

His wife, Marie Clark, died in 1985.

Survivors include one daughter, Catherine McCully of Waldorf; two sons, Steve Clark of Waldorf and Jim Clark of Juneau, Alaska, and seven grandchildren.


78, a retired partner in the Washington law firm of Ansell & Ansell, specialists in military law, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 16 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Ansell, a Chevy Chase resident, was born in West Point, N.Y., and grew up in Washington. He attended Harvard University and received bachelor's and law degrees from George Washington University. During World War II, he served in the Coast Guard.

In the late 1940s, he joined the law firm that had been founded by his father about 1920. He retired from it in the late 1960s.

Mr. Ansell was a member of the Barristers Club, the Army & Navy Club and the Chevy Chase Club.

His marriage to the former Annabel Essary ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Sarah Stryker Proctor Ansell of Chevy Chase; two children by his first marriage, Helen Essary Ansell of Amherst, N.H., and Samuel T. Ansell III of Fairhope, Ala.; four stepchildren, James M. Proctor III and Nancy P. Bride, both of Bethesda, David S. Proctor of Kent Island, Md., and Elizabeth P. Jennings of Burke; one sister, Nancy L. Moorman of Lookout Mountain, Tenn., and nine grandchildren.


81, a former Washington area resident and a former secretary with the War Department, died of lung cancer Dec. 8 at a nursing home in Winter Haven, Fla.

Miss Clark, who moved from Washington to Florida in 1965, was born in Williamsport, Pa. She grew up in the Washington area. During World War II, she worked for the War Department.

She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Survivors include one sister, Mary C. Hoke.