Charles Ernest Loucks, 92, a retired Army major general who had been deputy chief chemical officer of the Army and commander of the Army Chemical Center at Edgewood Arsenal in Maryland, died of heart ailments Dec. 16 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Gen. Loucks, who lived in Arlington, made his career in the Army Chemical Corps. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1917 and retired in 1955. His decorations included the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit and the Army Commendation Medal.

A crack shot, he was designated a "distinguished rifleman" and was a member of various Army rifle teams over the years. He competed at several of the National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio.

From 1955 to 1961, he was technical director of the National Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association, an industry organization.

In retirement, he was active in a number of patriotic and genealogical organizations. He had lived in the Washington area since 1951.

Gen. Loucks was born in Palo Alto, Calif. He graduated from Stanford University and received a master's degree in chemical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Before World War II, his assignments included duty in the Philippines and at various posts in the United States. He also was an assistant military attache in London and Paris, and was in Paris when the Germans overran France in 1940.

During World War II, Gen. Loucks' principal assignment was the construction of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Denver, the country's largest toxic manufacturing plant. In the postwar years, he was chief chemical officer in Japan and in Europe. He took over command of the Army Chemical Center in 1951 and was deputy chief chemical officer of the Army when he retired.

Gen. Loucks was a member of the Order of Founders and Patriots of America, the Military Order of the Loyal Legion and the Descendents of the Loyalists and Patriots of America. He also was a member of the Military Order of the Carabao, the Military Order of the World Wars and the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts.

He was a Mason and a Shriner, a former president of the MIT Club of Washington and a member of the Army & Navy Club.

His first wife, the former Pearl Reyburn, died in 1967.

Survivors include his wife, the former Barbara Haupt, of Arlington; two children by his first marriage, Charles Sherman Loucks and Lois Loucks Nixon, both of Arlington, and five grandchildren.


60, a computer scientist and the director of the division of computer and computation research at the National Science Foundation, died of cancer Dec. 17 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Curtis had been on the staff of the National Science Foundation since 1967, and he specialized in computer research during that entire period. He had been director of computer and computation research since 1984 and was appointed chief scientist this year.

He had written reports and articles on acoustics, physics, computer science and the history of computing, and he had received the National Science Foundation's Distinguished Service Award.

A Washington resident, Mr. Curtis was born in Charles City, Iowa. He graduated from Yale University. He received a master's degree in physics from Dartmouth College and did additional study in theoretical physics and music at the University of California at Berkeley.

From 1955 to 1967, Mr. Curtis was leader of the mathematics and computing group at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory at Berkeley. He also had lectured at Berkeley and worked on applied mathematics and computing for the Atomic Energy Commission.

Mr. Curtis' marriage to the former Sidnee Smith ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Herta Kley Curtis, and their two children, Celia Annette and Katherine Alexandra Curtis, all of Washington; three children by his first marriage, Greta Anne Curtis of San Rafael, Calif., and Christian Peter Curtis and Sandra Louise Curtis, both of Berkeley; two brothers, James Curtis of Missoula, Mont., and Mark Curtis of Bethesda, and one sister, Cora Hayes of Des Moines.


60, a retired deputy chief with the D.C. Fire Department, where he worked for 28 years, died of cancer Dec. 15 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Rockville.

Mr. Lambert was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific. He moved to the Washington area in 1950 and joined the D.C. Fire Department. He retired in 1978.

He was a member of St. Catherine Laboure Catholic Church in Wheaton.

Survivors include his wife, Joan Lambert of Rockville; two daughters, Annemarie Lambert of Washington and Sharon L. Rogers of Rockville; two sons, Michael and James Lambert Jr., both of Rockville; two brothers, Walter and William Lambert, both of Old Bridge, N.J.; two sisters, Kitty Quigley of Brooklyn and Eileen Calvosa of Old Bridge, and one granddaughter.


72, a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Annapolis and a former employe of the Anne Arundel County public library system, died Dec. 15 at her home in Annapolis. She had cancer.

Mrs. Brooks, who was born in Baltimore, had lived in Annapolis since about 1960. She worked for the Anne Arundel library system in the mid-1960s.

Survivors include her husband, Edgar Lord Brooks of Annapolis; two sons, Henry P.S. Brooks of Silver Spring and Edgar L. Brooks III of Annapolis; two daughters, Durant Y. Bauersfeld of Annapolis and Kevin Stone Brooks of Kona, Hawaii; two brothers, Fielder Hiss of Ocean View, Del., and Frank Ryley Hiss of Bardstown, Ky.; three sisters, Elizabeth Yearley Hiss and Mary Louise Brooks, both of Baltimore, and Mary Yearley Pridgen of Arlington, and three grandchildren.


37, a Washington correspondent with the Christian Science Monitor and a former Foreign Service officer with the State Department, died of cancer Dec. 14 at a hospital in New York City, where he was undergoing treatment. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Volman was born in New York City. He graduated from Columbia University and received a master's degree in economics from Cambridge University in England.

From 1979 to 1982, he was a Foreign Service officer with the State Department and had assignments in Lebanon and Nicaragua. He joined the Christian Science Monitor in 1982 and was assigned to its Washington bureau in 1986.

Survivors include his father, Sacha Volman of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and his mother, Pepe Volman of New York City.


67, a retired administrative officer in the Office of the Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, died of cancer Dec. 16 at his home in Kensington.

Mr. Secula was born in Wyoming, Pa. He served in the old Army Air Forces in the China-Burma-India theater in World War II. He moved to the Washington area in 1947 and began his career with the federal government with the old Children's Bureau. This was made part of HEW when it was organized in 1953, and Mr. Secula went to work for the new department. He retired in 1975.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Secula of Kensington; one son, James R. Secula of Germantown, and two stepsisters, Connie Haddick of Wyoming and Julia Majoris of Detroit.


67, a retired Army colonel and intelligence officer and a former chairman of the Board of Zoning Appeals in Manassas, died Dec. 11 after a heart attack aboard his boat, the Virginia Reel, on Cabin Point Creek in Mount Holly, Va.

Col. Kervick, who lived in Manassas, was born in Springfield, Mass. He attended Boston University. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific. He was recalled to active duty and served in Korea during the war there.

About 1950, Col. Kervick was transferred to the Washington area. He also had been on assignments in Europe, North Africa, the Pacific, Mexico and Canada. He was stationed in Korea when he retired in 1970.

His military decorations include the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star.

Col. Kervick had been a member of the Quantico Civilian Military Community Relations Council and Public Safety Policy for the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.

He was a member of the Retired Officers Association, the Disabled American Veterans, the American Society of Military Engineers, the Knights of Columbus and the American Legion.

Survivors include his wife, Dolores Edwards Kervick of Manassas; three daughters, Barbara J. Cole of Alexandria, Susan A. Kervick of Woodbridge, and Mary Anne Base of Spotsylvania, Va.; a son, William L. Kervick III of Woodbridge; a sister, Jane B. Russell of Hilton Head, S.C.; two brothers, Paul J. Kervick of Worcester, Mass., and Robert N. Kervick of Wilbraham, Mass., and six grandchildren.