An obituary about George E. Flather Jr., 69, yesterday included an incorrect cause of death. He died of arteriosclerosis. (Published 12/22/87)

Jerome Kenneth Kuykendall, 80, a lawyer by training who was a controversial chairman of the Federal Power Commission from 1953 to 1961, died of cancer Dec. 19 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

During his years as FPC chairman, he tangled with consumer groups, elements in Congress and the media over what they perceived as favoritism toward the oil and gas interests he was regulating.

Over the years, Mr. Kuykendall was attacked for supposedly misleading congressional committees, accepting favors from gas interests and discussing commission business with lawyer-lobbyist Thomas G. (Tommy the Cork) Corcoran, who had an FPC case pending. Mr. Kuykendall maintained that he had done nothing wrong.

He resigned from office in 1961 to enter the private practice of law in Washington. He was a partner in the old firm of Shanley, Fisher & Kuykendall when he accepted membership on the old Indian Claims Commssion. He served as chairman of that body before retiring in 1978.

Mr. Kuydendall was a native of Pomeroy, Wash., and served in the Navy during World War II. He was a graduate of the University of Washington and received a law degree there in 1932.

Before coming to Washington in 1953, he had practiced law in Seattle and Olympia, Wash., and was an assistant state attorney general. He served from 1951 to 1953 as chairman of the Washington Public Service Commission. During those years, he had been a member of the executive committee of the National Association of Railroad and Utilities Commissioners.

He had been active in civic and volunteer work in Washington state and had helped found a Unitarian Church in Olympia. Mr. Kuykendall had been a member of All Souls Unitarian Church in Washington and Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Bethesda. He was a member of the American, Virginia and D.C. bar associations, the Metropolitan Club, and the Sons of the American Revolution. His hobbies included playing Dixieland and swing jazz piano.

His marriage to the former Jane Brehm ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Helen, of Arlington; two daughters by his first marriage, Gretchen Jones of Kensington and Penelope Engel of Washington; a stepson, Robert Dickinson, and a stepdaughter, Donna Dickinson, both of Arlington, and a sister, Berdina Claire Grew of Ann Arbor, Mich.


87, a longtime conservationist and a retired vice president of the Wildlife Management Institute who was president of the National Rifle Association from 1973 to 1975, died of cancer Dec. 20 at a nursing home in Elkhart, Ind.

Before moving to Elkhart a week ago from Arlington, he had lived in the Washington area since 1945.

He joined what became the Wildlife Management Institute in 1945 and served as its vice president from 1946 until retiring in 1971. He was a founder and past president of the World Wildlife Fund USA and had served on the executive committee of the World Wildlife Fund International. He was a founder of the Wildfowl Foundation, and he had been its president since 1965. He had served as an officer of the Natural Resources Council of America.

Mr. Gutermuth was a native of Fort Wayne, Ind. He attended the University of Notre Dame and graduated from the American Institute of Banking. Before moving here, he had been a conservation official in Indiana.

He was the recipient of numerous awards and medals from such organizations as the National Association of Soil Conservation Districts, the Boone & Crockett Club, the National Wildlife Federation and the Wildlife Society. He was a member of the Cosmos Club.

Survivors include his wife, Marian, of Elkhart.


46, who was vice president of academic affairs and associate professor of psychology at Mount Vernon College for 10 years before retiring for reasons of health in 1986, died of cancer Dec. 20 at her home in Bethesda.

Dr. Weiner had served on the administrative committee of the Washington Consortium of Colleges and Universities and on the executive committee of the American Council on Education's council of chief academic officers.

She had been D.C. state coordinator of the National Identification Program for the Advancement of Women in Higher Education and had served on evaluation teams for academic acreditation organizations.

Dr. Weiner, who moved here in 1976, was a native of Helena, Ark. She was a cum laude graduate of Duke University, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, and she received a doctorate in social psychology at Stanford University. Also, she studied at Harvard and Tokyo universities.

From 1974 to 1976, she was associate dean and director of special education programs at Wells College in Aurora, N.Y. She had been a visiting assistant professor of psychology at Cornell University and was the author of 10 technical works.

Her marriage to Denis Regan ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Lisa Regan of Bethesda, and her parents, Bertram and Rae Weiner of Greenville, Miss.


49, a physician who had a private practice in obstetrics and gynecology, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Dec. 18 at Greater Southeast Community Hospital. He lived in Fort Washington.

Dr. Soriano was born in Manila. He graduated from the University of the Philippines, where he also received a degree in medicine. He moved to this country in 1963 and settled in the Baltimore area.

In 1970 he moved to the Washington area, where he opened his private medical practice a year later. He also had been an attending physician at both Greater Southeast Community Hospital and the Southern Maryland Hospital Center in Clinton.

Dr. Soriano was a fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the American College of Surgeons and the American College of International Physicians. He also had been a member of the American Society of Abdominal Surgeons and the Philippine Medical Association of Metropolitan Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Lourdes Soriano, and three daughters, Melissa, Cynthia and Diana Soriano, all of Fort Washington; his parents, Carmen and Arsenio S. Soriano Sr., two brothers, Honorio and Benec Soriano, and one sister, Teresa Ramos, all of the Philippines.


65, a retired couselor and special-education teacher with the D.C. public schools, died Dec. 18 at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring after a heart attack. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Sigamoni, who worked with students with learning disabilities, joined the schools' special-education department in 1967. He worked at Ballou High School before going to the Chamberlain career center, where he worked from 1979 to 1983. He then was a member of the faculty and staff at Roosevelt High School until retiring earlier this year.

He had been a member of the Silver Spring Presbyterian Church since 1973. Before that, he had belonged to the Takoma Park Presbyterian Church, where he had taught Sunday school. He had done volunteer work for small church groups in India.

Mr. Sigamoni was a secondary school teacher and administrator in his native of India before coming to this country and settling in Washington in 1964. He did clerical work for the Indian Embassy before joining the D.C. schools.

He was a graduate of the University of Madras, where he also received a master's degree in philosophy. He received another master's degree, in psychology, at Howard University, and a doctorate in special education at American University.

Survivors include his wife, Sushila, and a daughter, Mary David, both of Silver Spring; three sons, Paul, of San Francisco, David, of Germantown, and Andy, of Silver Spring, and three grandchildren.


69, a lawyer by training who was a retired executive vice president of the First American Bank, died of cancer Dec. 19 at his home in Gaithersburg. He had arteriosclerosis.

Mr. Flather was a native of Washington and a 1937 graduate of Wilson High School, where he was cadet corps colonel and student government president. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1941, served in the Navy in the Pacific Ocean during World War II, and received a law degree at Harvard University in 1948.

He entered the private practice of law in Washington in 1949 and specialized in estate law before joining the old Union Trust Co. bank as a vice president and trust officer in 1965. He remained with the bank and its successors, retiring as an executive vice president in 1983.

Mr. Flather had served as chairman of the fiduciary section of the D.C. Bankers Association and treasurer of the Washington D.C. Estate Planning Council. He had been a member of the American and D.C. bar associations and had belonged to The Barristers and the Metropolitan and Chevy Chase clubs.

Survivors include his wife, Carolyn A., of Gaithersburg; a son, George III, of Kensington; two daughters, Ann F. Miles of Takoma Park and Lyn F. Anderson of Newark, Del.; a sister, Elizabeth F. Davidson of Bethesda, and seven grandchildren.


78, a retired ceramic tile setter whose work included mosaic projects at the Catholic Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament in Washington, died Dec. 18 at Georgetown University Hospital, where he was undergoing surgery for an abdominal aneurysm.

He was a tile setter from the 1930s until retiring in 1971. He worked for several area concerns, including the Stevens Tile & Marble Co. in Washington.

Mr. Ceccarelli, who lived in Washington, was a native of Italy. He moved to this country and the Washington area in 1911. He served in the Navy in the Atlantic theater during World War II.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, the former Ruth Reidy of Washington; a son, Thomas M., of Marlboro, N.J.; two daughters, Joyce A. O'Brien of Mount Rainier and Elaine C. Matzen of Gaithersburg; four sisters, Rose Guiliani of Washington, Clara de Graffenreid of Arlington, and Jean Massino and Mary Brooks, both of Crofton; eight grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.