Lewis C. Coffin, 78, former general counsel and retired law librarian of the Library of Congress, died of cancer Dec. 21 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Coffin was born in Ashland, Maine, and graduated from Bowdoin College. He came to Washington and joined the staff of the Library of Congress in 1931. While working there he received a law degree from George Washington University.

He served in the Navy during World War II, then returned to the library in 1946.

In 1964 Mr. Coffin was named law librarian and general counsel of the Library of Congress, after having served as associate director of the department responsible for the acquisition and cataloging of library materials.

As general counsel and law librarian, he was the Library's chief legal officer and head of the department that provided legal reference and research services to the scholarly and academic legal communities.

He was a member of the Law Librarians Society and the International Association of Law Libraries. He also wrote several articles and reports on issues involving law libraries.

His first wife, Elizabeth Van Brakle Coffin, died in 1972.

Survivors include his wife, Inger Warmind Coffin of Washington; one daughter by his first marriage, Elizabeth L. Wallace of Washington; one stepson, Morten Warmind of Copenhagen, and two grandchildren.


87, who headed the food rationing program at the Office of Price Administration during World War II, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Dec. 21 at his home in Schenectady, N.Y.

Mr. Rowe was an agricultural economist at the Brookings Institution from 1934 until he retired in 1968. During the war, he went to work for the government to help set up a food rationing system.

The first items rationed were coffee and sugar. In 1943, the list was expanded to include most canned fruits and vegetables, fruit and vegetable juices, soups, dried fruits and meat. Each item was assigned a point quota. Each household had a ration book with stamps that had a point value.

Shoppers could "spend" the points as they wished on high-point items, such as steak, or low-point items, such as sauerkraut. The result was a generally equitable distribution of the available food.

Mr. Rowe was born in North English, Iowa. He graduated from Iowa State College and did graduate work at the University of Minnesota. He taught at Massachusetts State College before moving here to join the Brookings Institution.

He had lived in Schenectady since the early 1980s.

His wife, Verna Hunter, died in 1968. A son, Marvin Rowe, died in 1967.

Survivors include one daughter, Shirleyann Todd of Glenville, N.Y.; six grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


79, a retired Army colonel who later became a college and secondary school mathematics teacher, died of cancer Dec. 19 at his home in Alexandria.

Col. Parr was born in Charles City, Iowa. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., in 1929. He served in the Coast Artillery until 1944 and was assigned at various posts in the continental United States, the Panama Canal Zone and Alaska.

During the final months of World War II he served in the Transportation Corps in the Philippines and he was a transportation officer in Korea during the war.

He received a master's degree in mathematics from Purdue University, and he retired from the Army in 1959 as commanding officer of the Army terminal transportation depot at Oakland.

After his retirement, Col. Parr taught mathematics for two years at Stetson University in DeLand, Fla. He then moved to this area where he taught math at the Columbian Preparatory School in Washington for 11 years.

Subsequently he moved to Williamsburg, but he returned to this area in 1980, and had lived here since.

Col. Parr was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Marion Cole Parr of Alexandria; three daughters, Marilyn Earl of Springfield, Anne Bowne of Grove City, Pa., and Carol Spencer of Alexandria; six grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


85, owner of the Mount Rainier Flower Shop Inc., died of an aneurysm Dec. 21 at the Washington Hospital Center.

Mr. Dick, a resident of Hyattsville, was born in San Francisco. He worked at various jobs around the country before moving here in 1943 and taking a job as an automobile mechanic. He later was a taxi driver and he also operated a garage and Chinese restaurants.

In 1968, he bought the Mount Rainier Flower Shop and he operated it until his death.

He owned thoroughbred horses and raced at Charles Town, W.Va., and other tracks.

Survivors include his wife, Florence Dick of Hyattsville; three children, Jean Lynne Lee of Cheverly, Linda Susan Cahow of New Carrollton and Douglas Roy Dick of Hyattsville; one brother, Henry Chan Dick of Sunnyvale, Calif.; one sister, Lillian Soo-Hoo of Cazadero, Calif., and two grandchildren.


17, a senior at Paint Branch High School in Montgomery County, died of cancer Dec. 19 at his home in Silver Spring.

A lifelong resident of the Washington area, he played in the Montgomery Soccer Inc. leagues and he was a member of the Christian Hope Center Champions for Christ in College Park and the Young Life High School Ministry, a Christian youth organization. He was an honor student at school.

Survivors include his parents, M. Stanley and Laura Covington, one sister, Lisa Covington, and one brother, Scott Covington, all of Silver Spring; his maternal grandparents, Thomas and Mayaline Wallace of Silver Spring, and his paternal grandmother, Madalyn Covington of Langhorne, Pa.


88, a former Washington resident who was active in her church, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 22 at a nursing home in Raleigh, N.C.

Mrs. Hollister was born in Lenoir, N.C., and she moved to Washington when she was a young woman.

She was a member of Epworth United Methodist Church and later of the Ryland United Methodist Church in Washington.

She moved to Raleigh four years ago.

Her husband, Ray C. Hollister, died in 1963.

Survivors include two daughters, Alice McClay of Raleigh and Marguerite Glover of Apex, N.C.; two sons, Walter Hollister of Pomfret, Md., and William Hollister of Glenn Dale; four grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


92, a retired printer in Wilmington, Del., and a resident of the Washington area since 1981, died Dec. 22 at Montgomery General Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Freedman, who lived at Leisure World in Silver Spring, was born in Lithuania. He came to this country in 1899 and settled in Wilmington. He was a printer at the Wilmington News Journal newspapers from 1920 until he retired in 1965.

He was a member of the B'nai Shalom Congregation in Olney.

Survivors include his wife, Dora Freedman of Silver Spring; three children, Dr. Arnold Freedman of Pittsburgh, Dr. Bernard Freedman of Peoria, Ill., and Ruth Temin of Silver Spring; seven grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.


81, a former reporter with the Washington bureau of The Associated Press, died Dec. 14 at his home in Fremont, Calif., after a heart attack.

Mr. Brown was with the AP for 41 years, and he was assigned in Washington for 26 years before he retired in 1971. His work here consisted mainly of coverage of the U.S. Capitol.

A former resident of Forest Heights, Mr. Brown was born in Arkansas City, Kan. He began his career with the AP in Topeka, Kan. Later he worked for the AP's Kansas City, Mo., bureau and as a cable editor in New York before moving to Washington in 1945.

He moved to California after he retired.

Survivors include his wife, Berenice Brown of Fremont; two sons, Richard Brown of Highland, Md., and Bradley Brown of Micronesia; 11 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


62, a retired Army master sergeant who had served in three wars, died of cancer Dec. 22 at Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews Air Force Base.

Mr. Walton, who lived in Suitland, was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

He joined the Army in 1944 and served in the Philippines during World War II and in Korea and Vietnam during the wars there. He also served in Germany, Alaska and in the Washington area and he had been an intelligence specialist and a missile instructor. He retired from the Army in 1965.

In retirement he had worked briefly as a guard at the Smithsonian Institution.

He had lived in this area since 1956.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Sylvia A. Walton of Suitland; one son, Charles O. Walton IV of Waldorf; one daughter, Catherine I. Walton of Bethesda; his stepmother, Marion Schneider of Abington, Pa., and three grandsons.


90, a retired U.S. Patent Office secretary, died of kidney failure Dec. 21 at the home of her daughter, Eileen T. Zbignewich, in Adelphi.

Mrs. Murphy was born in Milwaukee. She moved to Washington and went to work for the Patent Office in 1918. She retired in 1947.

She was a member of the Hawthorne Citizens Association in Washington, the Altar Societies of Nativity Catholic Church in Washington and the Christ the King Catholic Church in Silver Spring, and the Catholic Daughters of America.

Mrs. Murphy's husband, Thomas F. Murphy, an assistant commissioner of patents at the Patent Office, died in 1961.

In addition to Mrs. Zbignewich, she is survived by a second daughter, Mary M. Donohoe of Arlington; two sisters, Rose Husak and Florence Martin, and one brother, John Horning, all of Milwaukee; 11 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


74, a longtime resident of Alexandria who was active in church and volunteer organizations, died Dec. 21 at Arlington Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Hudson was born in Dunmore, W.Va., and she attended Dunsmore Business College in Staunton, Va. She moved to the Washington area in 1948 after serving as postmaster in Bacova, Va., in the early 1940s.

She was a member of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Alexandria and a volunteer at Circle Terrace Hospital.

About four years ago she moved to McLean, where she was active in the Potomac Hills Citizens Association and the sewing group at St. John's Catholic Church.

Her husband, Clarence M. Hudson, died in the mid-1960s.

Survivors include one daughter, Margaret A. Dougherty of McLean; two sisters, Mildred Greer of Lincoln, Mass., and Imogene Webb of Monrovia, Calif.; two brothers, Samuel Pritchard of Roanoke and Chadwick Pritchard of Williamsburg, and one granddaughter.


83, a retired State Department employe and Foreign Service officer, died Dec. 22 at her home in Tampa, Fla., after a heart attack.

Mrs. Hughes was born in Washington and graduated from Western High School. She attended George Washington University.

In 1924 she went to work at the State Department. She held several clerical and administrative positions, including senior clerk in the division of Mexican affairs and clerk in the correspondence passport division and visa office.

After a reorganization at the State Department in the 1950s, she became a Foreign Service officer and served as first secretary and political officer at the embassy in Mexico City. She was a member of the 1959 selections board that reviewed Foreign Service personnel for promotion or termination.

In 1960, Mrs. Hughes retired.

A former resident of Washington and McLean, she moved to Tampa 11 years ago.

Her husband, William Philip Hughes, died in 1942.

Survivors include one daughter, Cynthia Brown of Tampa, and two sisters, Eunice M. Boyd of Largo, Fla., and Vivian M. Burke of Plantation, Fla.


95, a longtime resident of Washington who did volunteer work and was active in clubs, died Dec. 19 at a nursing home in Wolfeboro, N.H., of complications after a fall early in November and subsequent brain surgery.

Mrs. Clay was born in Burlington, Iowa. She first moved to Washington in 1923 and she had been a permanent resident here since 1941. She spent summers in Sandwich, N.H. She entered the nursing home in October.

During World War II, Mrs. Clay was a volunteer Red Cross counselor to families of prisoners of war. She also served on the women's board of the Corcoran Art Gallery and she was active in the National Trust for Historic Preservation. She was a member of the Sulgrave and the Chevy Chase Clubs.

She accompanied her first husband, Army Maj. Gen. Philip B. Fleming, to military posts when he was on active duty. She also accompanied him on assignments when he was Public Works Administrator during the Roosevelt administration and to Costa Rica when he was ambassador there during the Truman administration. He died in 1955.

Her second husband, British Army Col. Basil L. Clay, died in 1981. A son by her first marriage, Carson Fleming, died in 1983.

Survivors include one daughter by her first marriage, Jocelyn Fleming Gutchess of Alexandria; one sister, Louise A. Carson of Lake Placid, N.Y.; four grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.