Dr. Edward C. Mazique, 76, a Washington internist since 1943 who was a pioneer in the struggles to integrate his city and his profession here and who was active in professional, civic and volunteer organizations, died Dec. 26 at a hospital in Barbados after a heart attack.

A resident of Washington, he was stricken while on vacation.

Dr. Mazique was president of the District Medico-Chirurgical Society, a black medical organization, in 1952, when he became one of the first five blacks admitted to the District Medical Society. In 1954, he was one of the first two blacks chosen in more than 60 years to be accepted on the medical staff of Georgetown University Hospital. He also became an attending physician at Providence Hospital.

In 1956, he chaired a special committee of the Washington branch of the NAACP dealing with desegregation of the District school system. He also had served on the local board of the NAACP, and on the executive public health committee of the national organization. In 1958, he was elected president of the National Medical Association.

In 1968, he was chairman of the Health Services Coordination Committee for the Poor People's Campaign March on Washington. He also had served as an officer of campaign committees for Del. Walter E. Fauntroy (D-D.C.). In the early 1950s, Dr. Mazique served on the old D.C. Commissioners' Citizens Advisory Council. This year, he was appointed head of a city medical licensing board by Mayor Marion Barry.

Over the years, he also had chaired the interracial practices committee of the 12th Street Branch of the YMCA, and in the early 1950s led the fight to integrate all area YMCA facilities. In 1960, he was named Omega Man of the Year by the Omega Psi Phi fraternity.

Dr. Mazique was a native of Natchez, Miss., and a graduate of Morehouse College in Georgia, later serving on its board of trustees. He received a master's degree in education from Atlanta University, then was a teacher and administrator at the old State A&I College in Forsyth, Ga., before moving here. He received his medical degree from Howard University in 1941, and served an internship and a residency in internal medicine at the old Freedmen's Hospital.

He had been a historian with the Association of Reserve Officers of the U.S. Public Health Service, was a president emeritus of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington and a founder of United National Bank of Washington.

His first marriage, to the former Jewell Crawford, ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Frances Marguerite Mazique of Washington; two sons by his first marriage, Dr. Edward H. Mazique of Houston and Jeffrey C. Mazique of Washington; two stepdaughters, Shari Belafonte-Harper of Los Angeles, and Adrienne Biesemyer of Alderson, W.Va.; a sister, Maude M. Miller of Los Angeles, and five grandchildren.


69, a retired Army major and Pentagon civilian transportation specialist who also had worked for Ginn & Co. office supply stores and was active in singing groups, died Dec. 23 at his home in Clifton after a heart attack.

Mr. Hesketh, who moved to this area in 1938, was born in South Fork, Pa. He worked at the Post Office in Washington before entering the Army Air Forces as an enlisted man during World War II. He retired from active duty in 1954 but remained with the Pentagon in civilian capacity until retiring from the government again in 1973.

From about 1975 to 1981, he worked for Ginn's, where he managed an office products store in Fairfax then became chief of the company's cost analysis section before retiring again.

Mr. Hesketh was the 1980 International President of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America. The organization has about 40,000 members in about 750 chapters in the United States and Canada.

He had been active in the Fairfax Jubil-Aires for 30 years. He also sung bass in quartets and played string bass in Jazz Bows Dixieland Band.

Survivors include his wife, Shirley Grinnan Hesketh of Clifton; a son, Raymond, of Florida; two daughters, Bonnie Schroeder of Manassas and Brenda Smith of Fort Drum, N.Y.; his mother, Daisy Hesketh of Cartersville, Ga.; a brother, William, of Fort Myers Beach, Fla.; three sisters, June Cover of Lanham, Rita Belechak of Harwood, Md., and Marjorie McClain of Atlanta; eight grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


77, a retired D.C. police officer and former city welfare investigator, died of cancer Dec. 25 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Green, who was a native of Washington, joined the D.C. police in 1937. He served in the foot patrol and retired in 1961 from the youth aid division's school safety detail. He then joined the D.C. Department of Public Welfare, where he worked until retiring a second time in 1969.

His first wife, Helen F. Green, died in 1943. His second wife, Marie J. Green, died in 1974. Two daughters also preceded him in death. His survivors include a grandchild.


92, a retired Alexandria public school elementary teacher who was a founding member of the Mansion Drive Garden Club in Alexandria, died of cancer Dec. 25 at her home in Alexandria.

She taught for 43 years before retiring from Jefferson Elementary School, where she spent the bulk of her career, in the early 1960s. Mrs. Sommers was a native of Village, Va., and a graduate of what is now Mary Washington College. She moved here about 1920.

She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Alexandria and the Retired Teachers Association.

Her husband, Irving J., died in 1945. Survivors include a sister, Ruth Scott Keckler of Palm Harbor, Fla., and a brother, Raymond E. Brann of Richmond.


84, a retired detective sergeant with the D.C. police department's homicide squad who also had worked for the General Services Administration, died of a heart ailment Dec. 26 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Talbot was a native of Washington. He spent 30 years with the D.C. police, the last 18 of them in homicide, before retiring in 1958. He spent the next 10 years in the GSA's purchasing department.

He was a member of the Little Flower Catholic Church in Bethesda. He also was a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Elks and the Association of Retired Policemen.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Marie, of Bethesda; a son, Robert J., and a sister, Margaret Warren, both of Chevy Chase; a brother, William, of Wilmington, Del., and four grandchildren.