Two inmates at the city's Lorton Reformatory were fatally stabbed in their dormitories over the weekend, a D.C. Corrections Department spokesman said yesterday.

Corrections officers discovered Robert Broadus, 33, on the floor about 8 p.m. Saturday in the recreation area of Lorton's maximium security facility, said corrections spokesman Edward D. Sargent. Broadus, who had been stabbed several times, was taken to Dewitt Army Hospital at Fort Belvoir, where he was pronounced dead about 90 minutes later. The Lorton complex is in southern Fairfax County.

About 6 p.m. the next day, Elliott Cherrod, 27, was stabbed twice in his dormitory at Lorton's Central facility and died less than two hours later at the same hospital, Sargent said.

Broadus was first sent to Lorton in 1975 on convictions of second-degree murder, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, carrying a pistol without a license and attempted robbery. He was paroled about three years ago but was rearrested last year and was serving 40 months to 10 years for carrying a deadly weapon and for carrying a pistol without a license, Sargent said.

Cherrod had been at Lorton since March and was serving a three- to nine-year sentence for a conviction related to the drug PCP and a bail violation, Sargent said.

Broadus had just won a $15,000 settlement from the District in a lawsuit alleging that he had been beaten by corrections officers, said his attorney, Robert Liotta.

"He was a guy who made the guards do everything by the books," said Liotta. "They hated him. He stood up for his rights."

Liotta said he was told by other inmates yesterday that Broadus was stabbed by another inmate after he finished using the prison phone. Broadus collapsed as he tried to walk back to his cell, and was left bleeding on the floor for nearly two hours without medical treatment, Liotta said.

Liotta also said that the corrections department had not provided him with information on the stabbing and did not notify Broadus' mother until 48 hours after the incident.

Correctons Department Spokesman Sargent would not comment on the allegations, saying only that both slayings were being investigated by the FBI.

The city was recently hit with two large court awards in cases involving injuries to inmates in its prison system.

In October, a D.C. Superior Court jury ordered the city to pay $1 million to a prisoner who was paralyzed after a Lorton stabbing. A month before, another Superior Court jury awarded $1,030,002 to the estate of a man who died in D.C. Jail while he was in its medical ward for mental observation.