Henry H. Glassie, 73, a Washington lawyer who also restored historic buildings, wrote about art and operated an art gallery here, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 26 at George Washington University Hospital.
At the time of his death, Mr. Glassie was senior partner in the Washington law firm of Glassie, Pewett, Dudley, Beebe and Shanks, of which he was a cofounder in 1949. The firm specialized in real estate development.
He was author of a book on historic architecture, "Victorian Houses in Washington," and coauthor of "The Capital Image-Painters in Washington, 1800-1915," which was published in 1983 by the Smithsonian Institution in connection with an exhibition at the National Museum of American Art.
With his wife, Mr. Glassie was owner and operator of Montrose Galleries in Washington, which specializes in 19th century art.
Mr. Glassie, who lived in Washington, was born in his family's home in Chevy Chase. He graduated from Western High School and the University of Virginia, where he also received a law degree. He practiced law in New York City until 1940 when he returned to Washington and practiced with the firm of Barbour, Garnett, Pickett, Keith and Glassie.
During World War II Mr. Glassie served in the Navy in the Pacific, and he participated in the battles of Leyte Gulf and Lingayen Gulf in the Philippines.
After the war, he was chief counsel of the procurement subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee for one year.
With his law partners and other investors, Mr. Glassie restored several historic buildings around Washington, including the Sun Building at 1317 F St. NW and the headquarters of the American Political Science Association at 1527 New Hampshire Ave. NW.
He was an avid tennis player and a former president of the Middle Atlantic Tennis Association and a member of the executive committee of the United States Lawn Tennis Association.
Mr. Glassie also was a founding member and vice president of the National Lawyers Club and a member of the Chevy Chase Club, the Jefferson Islands Club and the Columbia Historical Society.
His marriages to the former Adele Balderston, Jean Pate and Dorothy Register ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, Betsy Glassie of Washington; two children by his first marriage, Henry H. Glassie III of Philadelphia and Judy Glassie Somervell of Chevy Chase; one brother, Don Caffery Glassie, and one sister, Gertrude Glassie Pewett, both of Chevy Chase; eight grandchildren, and six stepchildren.
MARGERY L. GAUTHIER,
66, a former employe of the Kiplinger news publications and the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, died of cancer Dec. 26 at her home in Falls Church.
Miss Gauthier, who moved here in 1945, was a native of Rhode Island. She served with the Women's Army Corps in Europe during World War II.
From 1947 to 1959 she worked for Changing Times, a Kiplinger publication, and from 1965 until she retired in 1981 she was a clerk with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.
Miss Gauthier was a member of Chapter No. 16 of the Women's Army Corps Veterans Association in Washington.
Survivors include a longtime companion, Delora F. McKay of Falls Church, and her mother, Dorothy McCormick of Pascoag, R.I.
JOAN F. BROWN,
50, a former Capitol Hill staff member who was the author of the cookbook "Tales from a Ukrainian Kitchen," published in October, 1987, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 27 at Anne Arundel General Hospital in Annapolis.
Mrs. Brown was a native of Mahanoy City, Pa., and lived in the Washington area for seven years before moving to Annapolis, where she had lived since 1961. She was a graduate of Strayer Business College and also had studied at George Washington University and several culinary institutes.
During the 1950s and 1960s, she had worked on the Hill for Rep. Paul A. Fino (R-N.Y.), Ivor D. Fenton (R-Pa.), and John C. Kunkel (R-Pa.). She also had written a cooking column for a newspaper in Crofton, Md., and was a founder of the International Gourmet Cooking Club of Crofton in 1977. She was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Bowie.
Survivors include her husband William T., and a son, Douglas Addison Brown, both of Annapolis; a sister, Nancy Copeland of Turnersville, N.J., and a brother, Michael Fufla of Morea, Pa.
IDA C. KANN-BELLENOT,
101, an Arlington resident who had been a French language teacher in Vienna before World War II, died of pneumonia Dec. 26 at the Camelot Nursing Home in Arlington.
Mrs. Kann-Bellenot was born in Switzerland. She was a French language teacher in Vienna from 1908 until 1938 when she returned to Switzerland. In 1946 she moved to the United States and settled in Arlington.
Her husband, Felix Kann, died in 1922.
Survivors include two daughters, Gerta K. Goldberg of Arlington and Katrin Nagel of Palm Springs, Calif., and four grandchildren.