85, a retired public relations supervisor with the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., where he worked for more than 40 years, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 22 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. Ford was born in Wheeling, W.Va. He graduated from Georgetown University. He joined C&P offices in Wheeling in 1926 and transferred to the Washington area in 1952. He retired in 1967.

He was a member of the Alexander Graham Bell Chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America and St. Elizabeth Catholic Church in Rockville.

His wife of 53 years, Mary Altmeyer Ford, died in 1980. Survivors include one daughter, Barbara Doyle of Rockville; two sons, James Ford of Potomac and William Ford of Washington; two sisters, Helen and Eleanor Ford, both of Wheeling, and four grandchildren.


59, a former Washington area resident and a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, died of an aneurysm Dec. 24 at her home in Chula Vista, Calif.

Mrs. Yarbrough was born in Rock Hill, S.C. She grew up in the Washington area and graduated from the old Central High School. She graduated from the University of South Carolina.

She married John D. Yarbrough, an Army officer who retired as a colonel, and she accompanied him on various military assignments. She moved from Vienna to Pensacola, Fla., in 1981 and to California earlier this year.

In addition to her husband, of Chula Vista, survivors include four daughters, Eleanor Y. Alpauti of Istanbul, Maria Y. Orhon of London, Anne Y. Bravo of San Fernando, Calif., and Elizabeth Y. Terry of Chula Vista; four sons, John D. Yarbrough Jr. of Roxbury, Conn., Rex M. and William M. Yarbrough, both of Pensacola, Fla., and Charles Yarbrough of Chula Vista; two sisters, Minerva W. Andrews of McLean and Suzanne W. Beckmann of Herndon; three brothers, York L. Wilson Jr. of Aloha, Ore., Oscar B. Wilson of Tampa, Fla., and Gaston D. Wilson of Hyattsville, and eight grandchildren.


62, who served at Beth El Hebrew Congregation in Alexandria from 1954 to 1969, died Dec. 21 in Miami after a heart attack. He was stricken at a cemetery while preparing for a burial service and was pronounced dead at the scene.

During his years in Alexandria, Rabbi Frank was an outspoken opponent of racial segregation. He was bitterly criticized by segregationists after a 1958 Yom Kippur homily in which he attacked Virginia's Democratic Senator Harry F. Byrd and other state officials for their role in Virginia's Massive Resistance to court-ordered school desegregation.

Rabbi Frank, who lived in Miami Beach, was born in New Orleans and graduated from the University of Houston. He received his rabbinical training at Hebrew Union College's Jewish Institute of Religion.

He was an assistant rabbi at his home congregation in Houston before moving to Alexandria.

After leaving Alexandria, Rabbi Frank served at congregations in Seattle and Harrisburg, Pa., before he moved to Miami Beach where he founded All Peoples Liberal Reform Synagogue. He was serving there at the time of his death.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Carol B. Frank of Miami Beach; one son, Loring Frank of Miami Beach; one daughter, Sharon Siegel of Atlanta; one brother, Bernard Frank of Philadelphia, and one grandchild.


84, who designed, built and maintained restaurant equipment at Hogate's Restaurant in Washington for more than 20 years, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 28 at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Wall was born in Philadelphia and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania's Moore School of Electrical Engineering.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1946 he designed automobile equipment in Philadelphia. He retired from Hogate's in 1968.

In retirement, Mr. Wall operated an experimental machine shop out of his home. He specialized in working on antique cars and sports cars, and he was a member of the Antique Car Association and the Sports Car Club of America.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Dorothy Thompson Wall, and one daughter, Barbara Anne Wall, both of Falls Church; and one sister, Sara Carr Wall of Boston.


79, a retired traffic safety adviser with the Department of the Air Force, died of respiratory failure Dec. 23 at the National Hospital for Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation.

Mr. Berlin, who lived in Arlington, was born in Lamont, Ill. He completed the Traffic Safety Institute of Northwestern University. He was a member of the Illinois State Police before moving to the Washington area in 1955 and going to work for the Air Force Department. He retired in 1973.

He had been a member of the South Arlington Kiwanis Club and chief gardener of an Arlington County community gardening project. He was a former member of the Beverley Hills United Methodist Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Gretchen Reighard Berlin of Arlington; two sons, Charles Berlin of Falls Church and John Berlin of Arlington; three sisters, Dorothy Munch of Lockport, Ill., Freda Lemke of Bradenton, Fla., and Ethel White of Naperville, Ill., and one grandson.


74, a retired engraver with the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 27 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Ligi was born in Jessup, Pa. He moved to the Washington area during the 1930s and joined the Bureau of Engraving. After a 16-year apprenticeship he became one of only a few engravers qualified to make the signature plates for paper currency and the fancy scrolls around the borders of dollar bills.

He also assisted in the training of engravers from South American countries and Canada and helped maintain the presidential seal.

Mr. Ligi was a member of the Plate Printer, Die Stamper and Engravers Union of North America and St. John's Baptist Church in Silver Spring.

His wife, Tillie Frenchko Ligi, died in 1962. Survivors include a daughter, Eloise Olivia Ligi Hanna of Upper Marlboro; two sisters, Rena L. Giavedoni and Lena A. Graci, both of Scranton, Pa.; three grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.


82, a resident of the Washington area since 1979 and the widow of a retired Marine brigadier general, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 24 at Montgomery General Hospital.

Mrs. Wirsig, a resident of Leisure World in Silver Spring, was born in Frostburg, Md., and reared in Annapolis. She married Frank H. Wirsig, a Marine officer, and accompanied him to various duty stations in the continental United States and Hawaii and also to Nicaragua.

After Gen. Wirsig's retirement in 1957, the couple lived in Laguna Beach, Calif., until moving to Silver Spring. Gen. Wirsig died in 1981.

Survivors include two daughters, Elisabeth W. Deering of Alexandria and Mary W. Henry of Thousand Oaks, Calif.; five grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


66, former head nurse in the intensive care unit at Alexandria Hospital, died of cancer Dec. 26 at her home in Annandale.

Mrs. Mickelwait was born in Forty Fort, Pa., and received a certificate in nursing at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital.

During World War II, she served in the Army Nurse Corps in Okinawa, then after the war ended was assigned to occupied Korea where she met and married Malcolm P. Mickelwait, a military officer who retired from the Air Force as a colonel.

She accompanied him to various posts during his military career. They had been permanent residents of the Washington area since 1968.

Mrs. Mickelwait joined the nursing staff of Alexandria Hospital about 1970, and she was head nurse in the intensive care unit when she resigned in the mid 1970s.

Later she enrolled at George Mason University, where she graduated in 1980.

In addition to her husband, of Annandale, Mrs. Mickelwait is survived by three sons, Steven Mickelwait of Chantilly, Jay Mickelwait of Herndon and Kurt Mickelwait of McLean; two daughters, Mary Lee Roebuck of Derwood, Md., and Ruth Anne Passemonte of Silver Spring; and five grandchildren.


97, a retired principal with the Sidwell Friends School, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 29 at the Sunnyside Presbyterian Home in Harrisonburg, where she had lived since 1980.

Mrs. Lueck was born in Abingdon, Va. She graduated from Longwood College in Farmville, Va., and from Columbia University. She moved to the Washington area in 1928 and became a teacher in the elementary and primary section of Sidwell Friends. She later became the primary school principal and retired in that job about 1955.

She was a member of the American Association of University Women and the Presbyterian Church of the Pilgrims.

Her husband, Charles Gottleib Lueck, died about 1976. Survivors include one sister, Mrs. H.M. Hay of Silver Spring, and one brother, Noah B. Hawthorne of Purcellville.


64, a retired publications and research officer with the Central Intelligence Agency, died of cancer Dec. 29 at the Washington Home Hospice. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Carr was born in Redwood Falls, Minn. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe. During the late 1940s, he graduated from the University of Chicago, from which he also received a master's degree in international relations.

He moved to the Washington area in 1951 and joined the CIA. He was assigned to Vietnam from 1954 to 1956. He retired in 1973 for health reasons.

In later years, Mr. Carr had been a free-lance writer of short stories and dramas. His documentary drama "The Soldier's Widow" received an honorable mention in the national play writing competition of the Washington Source Theater Company.

Survivors include one sister, Constance McCutcheon of Eagle Grove, Iowa, and his twin brother, Roderick Arthur Carr of Phoenix.


43, a former program analyst with the National Science Foundation in Washington, died Dec. 20 at her home in Greensboro, N.C., after a heart attack.

Miss Barker was born in Greensboro and earned an associate degree in accounting at Guilford Technical Community College.

She moved to this area in 1964, and she worked at the National Science Foundation until 1978.

A former resident of Woodbridge, she returned to Greensboro after leaving the NSF. Recently she had been office manager for A-1 Rentals in Greensboro.

There are no immediate survivors.


78, a retired legal secretary with the Washington law firm of Arnold & Porter, died of complications of pneumonia Dec. 29 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Miss Page was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. She had lived in Washington since 1944 when she took a job with the Federal Communications Commission. Later she worked for the old Office of Price Administration.

She was executive secretary to Paul A. Porter, a founding partner of Arnold & Porter, from 1946 until she retired in 1976.

Miss Page was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Washington.

There are no immediate survivors.


93, an Army major general's wife who accompanied her husband to military posts around the country during his Army career, died of cancer Dec. 29 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Craig was born in Pensacola, Fla., and graduated from the College of Notre Dame of Maryland. At her death she was the school's oldest living alumna.

She had been a permanent resident of the Washington area since 1954, and she had lived here periodically before then. She was a member of the Colonial Dames of America.

Her husband, Gen. Louis A. Craig, died in 1984, and a son, Dr. Louis A. Craig Jr., died in 1976.

Survivors include three sons, retired Air Force Col. William B. Craig of Largo, Fla., retired Army Col. Francis W. Craig of St. Louis and retired Army Col. Michael F. Craig of Annandale; four daughters, Sister Malin Craig of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Boston, Sister Constance Craig of the Sisters of the Holy Child of Potomac, Barbara Boyle of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and Faith Hall of Merritt Island, Fla.; 44 grandchildren, and 25 great-grandchildren.


77, a retired colonel in the Air Force who was a past president of both the Army & Navy Club and the Aero Club of Washington, died of sepsis Dec. 30 at Rappahannock General Hospital in Kilmarnock, Va. He lived in Mollusk, Va.

Col. Lightfoot was born in Fort Worth. He attended Washington & Lee University in Virginia and received a law degree from the University of Arkansas.

He joined the Army Air Corps in 1935 and served in the Pacific during World War II. He transferred to the Air Force when it was formed in 1947 and had various assignments elsewhere in this country before being transferred to the Washington area in 1958. He retired in 1963 as a legislative liaison officer.

His military decorations include the Legion of Merit.

From 1963 to 1974, Col. Lightfoot was public relations director with the Washington offices of the Lockheed Aircraft Corp. For the next four years, he was the Washington representative for the Conference for National Park Concessionaires. He moved from McLean to Mollusk in 1979.

He was a former member of the Fairfax County Planning Commission. He also was a member of the national board of The Retired Officers Association, a Mason, and a member of the Congressional Country Club and the Lewinsville Presbyterian Church in McLean.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Janice Lightfoot of Mollusk; two daughters, Lee Decker of Vienna and Cynthia Erskine of Pittsburgh; one son, Edward M. Lightfoot III of Seattle; one sister, Cora Lee Lightfoot of McLean, and eight grandchildren.


76, a retired Air Force colonel who later worked for the National Security Industrial Association, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 30 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Falls Church.

Col. Rupert was born in Lewistown, Pa. He graduated from Lafayette College in Pennsylvania and completed the Air Command Staff College and the Armed Forces Staff College.

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in the China-Burma-India Theater. He became a part of the Air Force when it was organized in 1947 and continued his service in China until the communist takeover in 1949.

During the 1950s, he had assignments in this country and abroad. He was a logistics plan specialist in Paris with NATO's Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers in Europe when he retired in 1964.

His military decorations include the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star. From 1964 to 1971, he was a staff officer with NSIA, where he specialized in international affairs and research and development.

He was a member of the Army-Navy Country Club, the 14th Air Force Association, The Retired Officers Association and the SHAPE Officers Association.

Survivors include his wife of 52 Sara Somers Rupert of Falls Church, and one daughter, Marybeth Kimberly Rupert of New York City.


73, a retired administrative officer with the Central Intelligence Agency and a retired Army Reserve colonel, died of cancer Dec. 30 at his home in Carlisle, Pa.

Col. McKinley was born in New York City. He graduated from Georgetown University, where he also earned a master's degree in international law.

He moved to the Washington area in 1936 and worked for the Department of Agriculture. During World War II, he served in the Army in Tehran. He joined the CIA in 1947. He retired from both the CIA and the Army Reserve in 1973 and moved to Pennsylvania.

Survivors include his wife, Pauline Burch McKinley of Carlisle; two sons, Michael S. McKinley of Oakton, and Steven E. McKinley of Richmond, and a granddaughter.