Loren L. (Lee) Murray, 78, a retired architect who designed schools and churches in the Washington area and in Maryland, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Dec. 23 at Manor Care Nursing Home in Wheaton.

Mr. Murray, a Rockville resident, was born in Carmen, Okla., and moved to Washington when he was a child. He attended what was then the Carnegie Institute of Technology and later returned to this area to work as an architect.

In 1945, Mr. Murray founded the Silver Spring-based firm of Johannes and Murray, and was the firm's principal architect until he retired in the late 1970s.

He had designed schools in Montgomery, Prince George's and Howard counties, in Western Maryland and on the Eastern Shore. Mr. Murray was architect for the undergraduate library at the University of Maryland, the University's main dining hall and several dormitories.

He had also designed Appleton and Wilde Lake high schools in Howard County, Einstein, Kennedy, Paint Branch and Springbrook high schools in Montgomery County, Allegany and Garrett community colleges and Grace Episcopal Church in Silver Spring.

He was a member of the educational committee of the American Institute of Architects and had served on the Maryland Architectural Registration Board.

His wife, Gizella (Ginger) Murray, died in 1986.

Survivors include two sons, Ronald K. Murray of Louisiana and Richard B. Murray of Stuttgart, West Germany; one daughter, Lee Murray Carpenter of Lanham; eight grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren.


80, a retired Navy rear admiral who won the Navy Cross as a submarine captain in World War II, died of pulmonary fibrosis Dec. 29 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. He lived in Vienna.

Adm. Sands was born in Richmond. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1930 and began a series of assignments in the submarine service.

During World War II, he commanded the submarine Sawfish in the Pacific and won the Navy Cross, the highest decoration for bravery in the Navy except for the Medal of Honor.

He had various other submarine commands and commanded the cruiser Roanoke before he was assigned to the Washington area about 1957. He retired in 1959 as assistant chief of naval operations for administration. During the early 1980s, he was briefly president of the Washington office of Contacts Influential, which publishes a list of top personnel in corporate offices.

Adm. Sands was a member of the Anglers Club, the Izaak Walton League, and the Army & Navy Club.

His wife, Mary Keane Sands, died in 1976. Survivors include two daughters, Joan Sands of New York City and Virginia Deane of Fort Defiance, Va.; three sisters, Josephine Ethridge, Mary Cougle and Marion Buffington, all of Mobile, Ala.; one brother, J.E. Sands of New Orleans, and three grandchildren.


98, a former Washington resident who had been a volunteer at Children's Hospital and the Washington Cathedral, died of a heart ailment Dec. 26 at a hospital in Tampa, Fla.

Mrs. Tate was born in O'Fallon, Mo., and she graduated from the University of Missouri. She moved to Washington in 1931 and lived here until moving to Tampa in 1955.

Her husband, Thomas Rouse Tate, died in 1955.

Survivors include one daughter, Jean Tate Torgerson of Rockville; three sons, Robert Bramblett Tate of Camp Springs, David Bramblett Tate of Milwaukee and Thomas Rouse Tate Jr. of Tampa; 14 grandchildren, and 20 great-grandchildren.


74, a retired Hyattsville letter carrier who later worked in the mail room of the Citizens Bank and Trust Co. of Maryland, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 28 at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Mr. Anderson, who lived in Hyattsville, was born in Bladensburg. He attended Hyattsville High School.

He worked 32 years as a letter carrier before retiring in the early 1970s. He retired from Citizens Bank and Trust Co. of Maryland about 1980.

During most of his years as a letter carrier Mr. Anderson also worked a second job, at various gas stations and newsstands in the Hyattsville area.

His first wife, Dora Anderson, died in 1947, and his second wife, Ruth J. Anderson, died in 1970.

Survivors include his wife, Audrey Anderson of Hyattsville; one son by his first marriage, Thomas P. Anderson of College Park; two daughters by his second marriage, Christina M. Carpenter of Monrovia, Md., and Cheryl Tomaino of Yorktown Heights, N.Y., and 14 grandchildren.


66, a former public and private school teacher in the Washington area, died of cancer Dec. 27 at her home in Annapolis.

Mrs. Johnson was born in New York City and graduated from Wheelock College.

During the late 1940s she organized and taught a kindergarten class for children of U.S. military personnel in Germany.

She moved to this area in the mid-1950s. From 1960 to 1964, she taught at the lower school of Sidwell Friends School. From 1965 to 1974, she taught at Beverly Farms Elementary in Potomac. In 1983, she taught colloquial English to Chinese interpreters while on a trip to China.

Mrs. Johnson was a former Sunday School teacher and member of the choir at the St. Francis Episcopal Church in Potomac. She was a member of the Potomac Pony Club, the Potomac Hunt Club, the National Science Teachers Association and the Friends of the Maryland Federation of Art and Historic Annapolis.

Her marriage to Wallace B. McFarland ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, David S. Johnson of Annapolis; three daughters by her first marriage, Peggy Fox and Martha Tyler, both of Annapolis, and Molly Burke of Gaithersburg; one sister, Anne Dickey of Schenectady, N.Y., and one granddaughter.


24, a student at the University of Maryland Law School in Baltimore, died Dec. 28 in a car accident on Maryland Rte. 404 near Rte. 50 in Talbot County. State police at Easton said she was riding in an car driven by her husband, Robert Caffrey, when the car skidded into the opposite lane on the slush-covered road and collided with a car coming from the other direction.

Mrs. Caffrey was pronounced dead at Easton Memorial Hospital and the driver of the other car, Roosevelt Causey of Houston, Del., died later the same day at the shock-trauma unit at the University of Maryland Hospital in Baltimore. Robert Caffrey was hospitalized with head injuries at the University of Maryland Hospital.

Mrs. Caffrey, who lived in Baltimore, was born in Alexandria and grew up in Silver Spring. She graduated from Springbrook High School in 1981 and from the University of Maryland in 1985 with a degree in economics. She had just completed her second year at the University of Maryland Law School in Baltimore.

In addition to her husband, of Baltimore, Mrs. Caffrey is survived by her parents, Laura and Allen Biggs of Silver Spring; two sisters, Catherine Giovannoni of Leonardtown and Lorraine Welden of Wheaton; two brothers, Joseph Biggs of Worcester, Mass., and Jeffrey Biggs of Silver Spring, and her grandmother, Adeline Biggs of Silver Spring.


60, a retired State Department lawyer, died Dec. 26 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Brathwaite was on the State Department's legal staff from 1967 until he retired in April of 1987.

A resident of Silver Spring, he was born in New York City and grew up in Barbados. He graduated from City College of New York and from Brooklyn Law School where he also received a master's degree.

Before moving to Washington and joining the State Department, Mr. Brathwaite was an enforcement officer with the Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms Bureau of the Treasury Department and a hearing officer with the Immigration and Naturalization Service in New York.

He was a vestryman and lay reader at St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Washington, a member of the Diocesan Council of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, and a founding member of the Barbados National Association Inc. of Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 36 years, Viola Mosley Brathwaite of Silver Spring; two sons, Cecil H. Brathwaite III of Washington and Christopher Brathwaite of Dayton, Ohio; three brothers, Harold Brathwaite of New York, Ralph Brathwaite of London and Desmond Brathwaite of Wheaton; two sisters, Carmen Cox and Coral Downs, both of New York, and four grandchildren.


47, a former social work instructor at Federal City College and a counselor with the municipal court system here, died of cancer Dec. 25 at a hospital in New York City.

Mr. Gadson was born in Clairton, Pa. and lived in Washington for 14 years before he moved to New York in 1971.

He graduated from Howard University. He worked three years for the court system, then for four years as a teacher and counselor at Federal City College.

At the time of his death he was a professor and counselor at the Borough of Manhattan Community College in New York.

His marriage to Iris Gadson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his one daughter, Kiera Robinson of Forestville; one son, Kimani Gadson of New York City; his mother, Hattie Gadson of Clairton, Pa.; six brothers, two sisters and one granddaughter.


72, a retired special adviser to the secretary general of the Organization of American States, died of cancer Dec. 28 at his home in Annandale.

Mr. Nimo was born in Buenos Aires. He received a degree in mathematical statistics from the National University of the Litoral in Argentina.

He moved to the United States in 1950 and settled in the Washington area where he went to work for the OAS. He began his career as a specialist in statistical education. He became a special assistant to the secretary general of OAS in 1979 and remained in that position until he retired in 1980. For the next five years, he worked for the OAS under special contract.

Mr. Nimo was a member of the Association of Retired Personnel of the OAS and St. Michael's Catholic Church in Annandale. He also was a founder of Centro Argentino, an organization of Argentine nationals in the Washington area.

Survivors include his wife, Martha Nimo, and two children, John and Natasha Nimo, all of Annandale; one brother, Ernesto Nimo of Springfield, and four sisters, Ana Maria Negroni, Susana Kervin, and Angelica Arias Sanz, all of Argentina, and Delia Larrauri of Paris.