Robert T. Bartley, 78, a retired member of the Federal Communications Commission and chairman emeritus of the Radio Technical Commission for Maritime Services, a joint government-industry group, died of heart and lung ailments Jan. 8 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Bartley served on the commission from 1952 to 1972. A nephew of the late Rep. Sam Rayburn (D-Tex.), a former speaker of the House of Representatives and a principal sponsor of the legislation that set up the FCC in 1934, Mr. Bartley became critical over the years of the agency's ability to function. The FCC regulates interstate and foreign communciations by radio, television, wire and cable.

In the late 1960s, Mr. Bartley noted that in the previous 20 years only about 70 positions had been added to the staff despite the revolution brought about by television and other communications advances. To meet the technological challenge, he said, the commission should be abolished or radically restructured with some of its functions going to other agencies.

Mr. Bartley also proposed that the terms of commissioners be increased from seven to 15 years, that members be limited to one term and that they be barred from subsequent employment in the industry they had been regulating. He said these measures were necessary to insulate commissioners from industry pressures.

A resident of Leisure World in Silver Spring, Mr. Bartley was born in Texas. He attended Southern Methodist University where he studied business. He moved to Washington in 1932 and joined the investigative staff of the House Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce, which had jurisdiction over matters covered by the FCC. Two years later, when the commission was established, he joined its staff as director of the telegraph division.

From 1939 to 1943, Mr. Bartley was a vice president of the Yankee Network in Boston. In 1943, he returned here as director of wartime activities at the National Association of Broadcasters.

From 1948 to 1952, when he was appointed to the FCC by President Truman, Mr. Bartley was Rayburn's administrative assistant in the House of Representatives. He was reappointed to the FCC by President Eisenhower in 1958 and by President Johnson in 1965.

Mr. Bartley served as coordinator of the agency's defense activities in the early 1960s. He was a member of the U.S. delegation to the London conference on safety at sea in 1960, and chairman of the U.S. delegation to the Geneva conference on maritime radio matters in 1967.

In 1965, Mr. Bartley received the Marconi Memorial Gold Medal of Achievement from the Veteran Wireless Operators Association for his contributions to radio regulation.

Mr. Bartley's survivors include his wife, the former Ruth Adams of Silver Spring; three children, Robert T. Bartley Jr. of Kensington, Jane Bartley of Bethesda, and Thomas Rayburn Bartley of Silver Spring, and 10 grandchildren.

J. NEIL RYAN, 77, a retired budget and fiscal official at the Interstate Commerce Commission and a lifelong resident of the Washington area, died of cancer Jan. 7 at Montgomery General Hospital in Olney.

Mr. Ryan, a resident of Leisure World in Silver Spring, was born in Washington. He attended George Washington University and Southeastern University.

He began his career at the ICC in 1927 as a messenger. He progressed through the ranks and in 1955 was named fiscal and budget officer. He retired in 1967.

Mr. Ryan was a third degree honorary life member of the Knights of Columbus, a charter member of the Free State Senior Golf Association and a member of the Leisure World Golf Club and Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church.

Survivors include his wife, Rose N. Ryan of Silver Spring; three children, Thomas N. Ryan of Rockville, John N. Ryan of Upper Marlboro and Rosemary R. Sachs of Potomac; one sister, Bertha May, and one brother, John R. Ryan, both of Silver Spring, and 10 grandchildren.

HELENE DEMKO CAIN, 63, a retired employee of Teledyne Geotech, an Alexandria research company, and a volunteer in the Catholic Hospital Ministry at Fort Belvoir, died of cancer Jan. 7 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Cain, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Ashley, Pa. She married John H. Cain, an Army officer who retired as a lieutenant colonel, and accompanied him to various posts in the United States and West Germany. The family settled in the Washington area in 1966.

From about 1974 until she retired in 1985, Mrs. Cain was executive secretary and director of personnel at Teledyne Geotech.

Mrs. Cain was active in Red Cross work at various Army posts in earlier years. After her retirement she was a volunteer at the Fort Belvoir Chaplain's Office. She also attended Catholic services at Fort Belvoir.

In addition to her husband, of Alexandria, survivors include two sons, John H. Cain Jr. of Merrimack, N.H., and James R. Cain of Norfolk; three sisters, Sophia Bruch of Milton, Pa., Ann Motovidlak of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and Mary Napolsky of Pringle, Pa.; four brothers, Michael, Martin and Louis Demko, all of Wilkes-Barre, and Stephen Demko of Bristol, Pa., and two grandchildren. JOHN H. SLATTERY, 67, a retired Army master sergeant who became a budget analyst in the Office of the Adjutant General at the Department of the Army, died of cancer Jan. 7 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Slattery, a resident of Falls Church, was born in Lawrence, Mass. He enlisted in the Army in World War II and served in Europe. He returned to civilian life after the war but went back into uniform in 1950.

He was assigned to military intelligence and served in Turkey, Holland and West Germany as well as this country. He retired in 1965. He moved to the Washington area the following year and was a budget analyst at the Army Department until retiring a second time in 1987.

Mr. Slattery's military decorations included the Army Commendation Medal.

He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and St. Anthony's Catholic Church.

Survivors include his wife, Nina Slattery of Falls Church; two children, David J. Slattery of Alexandria and Mia D. Schulte of Arlington; two sisters, Mary Parker and Charlotte Garafolo, both of Lawrence, and one brother, Robert Slattery of Columbus, Ohio.

DUANE G. KELLOGG, 43, a test engineer at Star Technologies Inc., a manufacturer of computer equipment in Sterling, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Jan. 7 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. He had histiocytosis X, a disease that affects the lungs and bones.

Mr. Kellogg, who lived in Sterling, was born in Lorain, Ohio. He received an associate degree in electricity and electronics from Lorain Community College. He worked for the Bendix Corp. in Elyria, Ohio, before moving here in 1984 and joining Star Technologies.

His marriage to Louise Kellogg ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Patrice Hampton Kellogg of Sterling; one son by his first marriage, Mark O. Kellogg, who is stationed in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., with the Navy; his parents, Dale C. and Pauline Kellogg of Elyria; two sisters, Linda Palmer of Modesto, Calif., and Diane Cauffman of South Bend, Ind.; one brother, Terry Kellogg of Gainesville, Fla., and one grandson.

ANNA L. JESTER, 78, a lifelong resident of the Washington area and a docent at the National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian Institution, died Jan. 5 at Arlington Hospital. She had Parkinson's disease.

Mrs. Jester was born in Washington and graduated from Western High School. From about 1950 until about 1961 she assisted her husband in running Jester & Reed, an accounting firm he helped establish in Falls Church.

Mrs. Jester also had been a volunteer in the presidential campaign of Hubert H. Humphrey, the Democratic Party nominee in 1968. She also was a member of Walker Chapel United Methodist Church in Arlington.

Her husband, James G. Jester, died in 1979.

Survivors include one son, Harvey E. Jester of Falls Church.

ALFRED M. BARABAS, 74, a retired executive director of the Columbia College Fund at Columbia University in New York City, died of cancer Jan. 7 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. Barabas, a resident of the Washington area since 1979, was born in Jersey City, N.J. He graduated from Columbia, where he played football and scored the only touchdown in the 1934 Rose Bowl game in which Columbia beat Stanford 7-0.

In the 1930s, he worked for Warner Bros. in New York. During World War II he served in the Navy and later was a buyer at a New York department store. In 1960, he became executive director of the Columbia College Fund, the college fund-raising agency. He retired in 1977.

His first wife, Jeanne Barabas, died in 1971. His second wife, Lois Barabas, died in 1972.

Survivors include one brother, Charles Barabas of East Rutherford,

CONSTANCE IRENE SIMS, 58, a resident of the Washington area since 1975 who was active in garden and antique organizations, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Jan. 6 at the Southern Maryland Medical Center in Clinton.

Mrs. Sims, a resident of Fort Washington, was born in Pasadena, Calif. She married Frederick Robertson Sims, a Navy officer who retired as a commander, and accompanied him to various naval stations in the continental United States and to Hawaii.

She was a member of the Tanta-Cove Garden Club and the Southern Maryland Antique Arts Association.

In addition to her husband of Fort Washington, survivors include one son, Robert Alan Sims of Alexandria, and one sister, Doris Vanell of Pasadena.