Edward V. Hickey Jr., 52, the chairman of the Federal Maritime Commission since 1985 who was a former Secret Service agent, State Department security officer and Reagan White House aide, died Jan. 9 at his home in Falls Church after an apparent heart attack.

He joined the White House staff in January 1981 as a deputy assistant to the president and director of the White House military office. In February 1982, he was promoted to assistant to the president, a job he held until becoming head of the maritime commission. In 1986, Mr. Hickey won confirmation for an additional five years as commission chairman.

Among his jobs while working at the White House were liaison with the Secret Service and Defense Department, supervision of presidential protection and military support, White House communications and security supervision of Camp David and Air Force One.

He had a long association with President Reagan. Mr. Hickey had been a Secret Service special agent for four years, based in Boston, when he was assigned to the 1968 Secret Service security detail for Reagan. This took place the day after Sen. Robert F. Kennedy (D-N.Y.) was gunned down in California and Secret Service protection was assigned to all presidential candidates. Reagan, then governor of California, was a candidate for his party's presidential nomination.

In 1969, Mr. Hickey left the Secret Service and joined Gov. Reagan's staff in Sacramento. He became executive director of the California State Police and directed the personal security of the governor and Nancy Reagan.

Those were troubled times for the nation and Gov. Reagan's security detail. It seemed that wherever Reagan went, pickets and demonstrators were sure to follow. Mr. Hickey continued to gain Reagan's confidence and joined the governor's inner circle. During those Sacramento years, he and his wife were one of the four couples who celebrated Reagan's Feb. 6 birthday.

When Reagan announced that he would not run for reelection as governor in 1974, Mr. Hickey joined the State Department, first as an assistant director of the office of security in Washington, then in 1978 as the State Department's senior regional security officer based in London.

Upon Reagan's 1980 election as president, it was said that one of the first favors he asked of the Carter administration was to bring Mr. Hickey back to work on the transition team.

On March 30, 1981, Mr. Hickey was meeting with then Sen. Paul Laxalt (R-Nev.) when he was told that Reagan had been shot by an assailant. Mr. Hickey rushed from Laxalt's office to George Washington University Hospital, where the president was undergoing surgery, and spent the day with the first lady.

In May 1981, Mrs. Reagan told reporters: "Ever since Ed Hickey was first assigned to us in Sacramento, we have become very close. I am devoted to him. I trust him. I depend on him."

Mr. Hickey was born in Dedham, Mass., and served in the Army in the mid-1950s. He received a bachelor's degree in business administration at Boston College in 1960 and also was a graduate of the Treasury Law Enforcement Officers School and the Secret Service Special Agent School.

He was a juvenile officer with the Massachusetts Youth Authority for four years before joining the Secret Service in 1964. During the next five years, he took part in details guarding not only Reagan, but the Kennedy family, Lyndon Johnson, George Wallace and Hubert Humphrey.

Mr. Hickey was a member of the board of regents of Catholic University, and a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, and the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick. He was invested by Pope John Paul II as a Knight of St. Gregory and was a 1985 recipient of the Defense Department's highest civilian award, the Distinguished Public Service Medal.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara A., of Falls Church; seven sons, Edward V. III, of Washington, Michael F., of Arlington, and Joseph G., Paul V., John D., David T., and Daniel J., all of Falls Church; and three brothers, Frank, of Farmington Hills, Mich., William, of Boston, and Gerald, of Massachusetts.


79, a retired Air Force colonel and professor emeritus of George Washington University's government and business administration school, died of cancer Jan. 9 at Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Col. Barrett, who had lived in the Washington area since 1961, was a native of Providence, R.I. He was a 1930 cum laude graduate of Amherst College and a graduate of the Armed Forces Staff College. He received a master's degree in business administration at Harvard University and a doctorate in business administration at George Washington University.

Before beginning his military career, he taught business administration courses at the University of Western Ontario and Nichols College in Dudley, Mass., and worked for the National Youth Administration in Connecticut.

He joined the Army Air Forces in 1942, and spent most of his career in personnel work before retiring from active duty in 1963. He had served two tours in West Germany, where a civilian street was renamed in his honor. His assignments included that of chief of staff of the 12th Air Force at Ramstein, West Germany. He retired from Bolling Air Force Base.

From 1963 to 1972, he was a consultant to what is now the U.S. Postal Service. He taught at George Washington University from 1964 to 1976. His military decorations included the Legion of Merit.

From 1984 to 1987, he was Andrews Air Force Base club representative in the Maryland Inter-Club Seniors Golf Association.

Survivors include his wife, the former Josephine Gilbert Paret, of Alexandria; a son, Colin Douglas Barrett of Great Falls; a daughter, Alison Lee Barrett of Rockville; a sister, Barbara Barrett Caples of Alexandria, and a grandchild.


67, a publications editor with the Central Intelligence Agency, where she had worked the past 15 years, who also had been active in civic, education and political groups, died Jan. 9 at Alexandria Hospital after a stroke. She lived in Alexandria.

She had worked for the CIA's Foreign Broadcast Information Service. Before joining the agency, she had spent four years with the Defense Department here.

Mrs. Naley was born in Wilkinsburg, Pa., and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 1944 with a degree in English and journalism. While attending college, she had been a reporter with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. From 1944 to until moving here in 1951, she was a public affairs officer with Syracuse University.

She had been an officer of the Dowden Terrace Civic Association in Alexandria and in her local PTA. In the early 1960s, she helped found the Higher Horizons Day Care Center in Falls Church, an interracial facility. She also had been a Democratic Party precinct captain and had worked in civil rights. Her hobbies included basket-making and quilting.

Survivors include her husband, David F., of Alexandria; three daughters, Lucinda Naley of Los Angeles, Martha Naley of Sacramento, and Maureen Naley of Alexandria, and two sisters, Maureen Moyer of Alexandria, and Bonnie Drake of Santa Fe, N.M.


76, an agent with Nationwide Insurance for more than 30 years before retiring in 1977, died of cancer Jan. 7 at his home in McLean.

Mr. Smith was born in Pleasant Valley, Va. He moved to the Washington area in the early 1930s and became a representative of Nationwide in about 1944. He retired about 10 years ago.

He was a member of the Optimist Club and the McLean Volunteer Fire Department. He also belonged to the International Order of Odd Fellows and the National Winnebago Travel Club.

Survivors include his wife, Fleta Smith of McLean; two sons, Edward I. Smith Jr. and James L. Smith, both of Fairfax.; four sisters, Mary Elizabeth Mohler of Centreville, Va., Anne Noll of Arlington, Helen Fox of Fairfax, and Virginia Bremmerman of McLean, and four grandchildren.


58, a retired Army sergeant and an owner of a Falls Church electronics firm since 1962, died Jan. 7 at Fairfax Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Manning, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Philadelphia. From 1948 until he retired in 1960, he served in the Army, where he became a communications specialist. He became an owner of Washington Electronics in Falls Church in 1967 and worked there as an electronics technician until his death.

He also was an amateur radio operator.

Survivors include his wife, Betty Sinclair Manning, and a son, Scot Manning, both of Fairfax; his mother, Bertha A. Manning of Havertown, Pa.; two brothers, Robert Manning of Hollywood, Fla., and Bruce Manning of Brandamore, Pa., and one sister, Carolyn Manning Gallo of Worthington, Ohio.


88, a retired accountant with the General Services Administration who later was the assistant manager of the old Avalon Theater in Chevy Chase, died of arteriosclerosis Jan. 5 at Washington House, a retirement facility in Alexandria.

Mr. Dent was born in Wilkinsburg, Pa. He grew up in the Washington area. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School and Southeastern University. During World War I, he served in the Army Tank Corps in France.

He joined the federal government as an accountant in about 1920 and worked for several agencies before retiring from the GSA in 1957. For the next 20 years, he worked at the old Avalon Theater.

Mr. Dent had served on Draft Board No. One in Washington and was a past board member of the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Washington. He also had been a member of the American Legion, the Oldest Inhabitants of Washington, and the Metropolitan Police Reserve Corps, where he rose to the rank of lieutenant.

Survivors include his wife, Cornelia of Washington; one son, James A. Dent Jr. of Springfield, and two grandchildren.


72, a civil engineer by training who was a retired executive director of the National Academy of Sciences' transportation research board, died of cancer Jan. 9 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Carey, who lived in Bethesda and Martha's Vineyard, was a native of St. Paul, Minn. He was a graduate of the University of Minnesota and served in the Army during World War II, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel.

He moved here and began his career with the academy in 1946. He was named executive director of what became its transportation research board in 1967 and held that post until retiring in 1980.

He was a 1973 recipient of the National Academy of Sciences' distinguished service award and was given a 1977 outstanding achievement award by the University of Minnesota. He also was the recipient of awards from the transportation research board, the Washington Road Gang and the American Society of Civil Engineers. An award of the transportation research board has been renamed in his honor.

Mr. Carey was a member of the board of the National Safety Council, and a member of the Cosmos Club, Institute for Behavioral Research, the American Society of Civil Engineers and the Belle Haven Country Club.

His first marriage, to the former Mary Champine, ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Joan Robertson Carey of Bethesda and Martha's Vineyard; three children by his first marriage, Susan Carey of Cambridge, Mass., William N. III, of San Francisco, and Catherine Rasheed of Dallas; three stepchildren, Johanna Jenkins of Seattle, Gail Robertson of Mill Valley, Calif., and Sandra Robertson of San Diego; three brothers, and six grandchildren.


56, a lifelong area resident who was active in volunteer groups and who was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Chevy Chase, died of cancer Jan. 9 at her home in Chevy Chase.

She had done volunteer work as a member of the women's auxiliary of both the Easter Seal Society and the American Heart Association.

Mrs. Fletcher was a native of Washington and a graduate of the Sacred Heart Academy. From about 1950 to 1952, she did clerical work with the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.

Survivors include her husband, Peyton B. Fletcher III of Chevy Chase; three sons, James, of Redondo Beach, Calif., Robert, of Olney, and Thomas, of Rockville; a sister, Margaret W. Smoot of Germantown, and a grandchild.