Floyd Anderson, 81, the former director of the National Catholic News Service in Washington and a former editor of several local Catholic newspapers throughout the United States, died Jan. 13 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a stroke.
Mr. Anderson was director of the National Catholic News Service here from 1963 to 1969. He left to become editor of what is now the Chicago Catholic newspaper, then returned to this area upon his retirement in 1976.
In retirement he had worked as a proofreader for Editorial Experts, an Alexandria-based editorial services organization.
A resident of Springfield, Mr. Anderson was born in Superior, Wis. Before moving to this area in 1963 he had been an editor at Catholic newspapers in Newark, Scranton, Pa., Denver and Fresno, Calif.
He was a former president of the Catholic Press Association, vice president of the International Federation of Catholic Press Agencies and vice president of the International Federation of Newspapers and Periodicals.
Mr. Anderson had also written children's books and stories. He was made a Knight of St Gregory by Pope John XXIII in 1959. He was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Springfield.
Survivors include his wife, Joy Eder Anderson of Springfield; two daughters, Joan Holleman of Washington and Mary Anderson-Carey of Springfield; five sons, Peter Anderson of Columbus, Ohio, Thomas Anderson of Auburn, Calif., Martin Anderson of Burke, Joseph Anderson of Arlington and Stephen Anderson of Alexandria, and four brothers, a sister, 13 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.
WALTER RALPH BRANT, 71, a retired automobile salesman with Koons Ford Inc. in Falls Church, died of cancer Jan. 11 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.
Mr. Brant, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Shawnee, Okla. He attended Purdue University. During World War II he served in the Navy in the Atlantic and the Pacific.
Before moving to this area in the mid-1950s he operated auto dealerships in Indiana, Texas and Oklahoma. He worked here for auto dealerships in Northern Virginia and had been with Koons Ford for about 10 years before he retired in the late 1970s. He was a member of St. Lawrence Catholic Church in Alexandria.
Survivors include his wife Beatrice Brant of Alexandria; one daughter, Kathleen Brant of Lafayette, Ind.; two sons, Gary Lee Brant of Indiana and Patrick Brant of Houston; six sisters, and two grandchildren.
ALICE L. CARPENTER, 69, a violinist and pianist with the Arlington, McLean and Georgetown symphony orchestras, died of heart ailments Jan. 11 at Arlington Hospital.
Mrs. Carpenter, who lived in Arlington, was born in Sterling, Ill. She attended Drake University and the University of Illinois.
She had accompanied her husband, Dr. Stanley S. Carpenter, a career Foreign Service officer, on assignments to Japan, Great Britain and Denmark. He died in 1981.
Mrs. Carpenter had been a permanent resident of the Washington area since 1959, and she began playing in the orchestras about 1980.
She had done volunteer work answering telephones at the White House.
Survivors include one son, Wendell Carpenter of Durham, N.C.; one daughter, Terry Ann Carpenter of New York City; one brother, Arnold Luken of Lansing, Mich., and two grandchildren.
PAUL L. BLACKMER, 77, a retired Census Bureau employee, died of pneumonia Jan. 2 at Alexandria Hospital.
Mr. Blackmer, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Casey, Iowa.
He moved to this area and joined the Census Bureau in 1930 to work on the 1930 census.
During World War II, he served in the Merchant Marine as a radio officer aboard a tanker.
After the war Mr. Blackmer returned to the Washington area and rejoined the Census Bureau. He retired in 1972 as a computer analyst specializing in the industrial census.
He was a member of the administrative board and the United Methodist Men at Washington Street United Methodist Church in Alexandria.
Survivors include his wife, Ruth P. Blackmer of Alexandria; one son, Paul Blackmer of Warrenton, Va.; one sister, Edith Clarke, also of Warrenton, and two grandchildren.
REUBEN W. SMITH, 90, a retired member of the D.C. Fire Department, where he worked for 31 years, died of a stroke Jan. 11 at the Carriage Hill Nursing Home in Bethesda. He lived in Fort Washington.
Mr. Smith was born in Warrenton, Va. During World War I, he served in the Army. He joined the D.C. Fire Department in 1924 and retired in 1955. For the next seven years, he was a security guard at Georgetown University Hospital.
Survivors include his wife, Jane D. Smith of Fort Washington; four daughters, Evelyn K. Moran of Roxboro, N.C., June S. Ankers of McLean, Barbara J. Balderson of Laurel, and Betty J. Harmel of Upper Marlboro; three sons, Wellington W. and Kenneth R. Smith, both of Upper Marlboro, and John R. Smith of Manassas; one brother, John R. Smith of Fort Washington; one sister, Mary S. White of Gulfport, Miss.; 13 grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.
KENNETH GRAHAM TALBERT, 71, the owner and operator of Talbert's Flower Shop in Forestville, died Jan. 11 at Doctors' Hospital of Prince George's County after a heart attack.
Mr. Talbert, who lived in Upper Marlboro, was born in Washington. He graduated from Eastern High School and the old Wilson Teachers College.
He opened his flower shop in Southeast Washington in 1941 and relocated in Forestville in 1962. In recent years he had operated the business with his wife, Erma A. Talbert. He was a member of the Gateway Lions Club in Forestville.
His marriage to the former Katherine Campbell ended in divorce.
In addition to his wife, of Upper Marlboro; Mr. Talbert is survived by one daughter of his first marriage, Barbara Lowell of Cheltenham, Md.; three stepchildren, Ronald L. Thomas of Johnson County, N.C., Eugene D. Thomas of San Diego, and Linda A. Ivan of Clinton, and six grandchildren.
SALVADORE J.V. MACIULLA, 73, a retired area pharmacist who had owned and operated the old Hamilton pharmacy at 5125 Georgia Ave. NW for 21 years before selling it in 1959, died of a brain tumor Jan. 12 at the Fairland nursing home in Silver Spring. He lived in Washington.
After selling the Hamilton pharmacy, he worked at a number of area Drug Fair and Peoples drug stores until about 1978. He also worked for the American Association of Retired Persons.
Mr. Maciulla was a native of Washington and a 1932 graduate of the old Central High School where he was captain of the 1932 cadet band that won a city-wide competition. He earned his pharmacy degree at George Washington University in 1936. From the early 1960s to the mid-1970s, he was a volunteer clarinet player in the Washington Redskins band.
Survivors include one brother, Dr. Louis J. Maciulla of Potomac, and four sisters, Mary M. Muzzy of Takoma Park, Antoinette M. Crisafulli of Berlin, Md., and Rosina M. Grimaldi and Teresa M. Mongello, both of Silver Spring.
MARY ELIZABETH KIRLIN, 91, a member of the Christ Child Society and the Little Flower Catholic Church in Bethesda, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 13 at the Carriage Hill nursing home in Chevy Chase.
Mrs. Kirlin, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in Lambertville, N.J. She moved to the Washington area in 1936.
Her husband John Patrick Kirlin died in 1970.
Survivors include three children, Kathryn E. Smith and John J. Kirlin, both of Chevy Chase, and Ann K. Donatelli of Potomac; 12 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.
VINCENT A. CAMPBELL, 51, the senior marketing representative at the State Department for IBM, died of an aneurysm Jan. 11 at George Washington University Hospital.
Mr. Campbell, who lived in Washington, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from Notre Dame University. He served in the Navy from 1958 to 1963.
He spent his entire working life with IBM, and he was assigned in Harrisburg, Pa., before moving to the Washington area in 1974.
Survivors include two brothers, Thomas J. Campbell of McLean and Peter J. Campbell of Raleigh, N.C., and one sister, Eileen C. Mallouk of Chadds Ford, Pa.
NATHAN R. STROTHER, 44, a retired Air Force helicopter technician and a veteran of the Vietnam war, died Jan. 11 at the Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews Air Force Base in Camp Springs. He had cancer.
Mr. Strother, who lived in Washington, was born in Darby, Pa. He joined the Air Force in 1963 and had assignments in Libya and Vietnam. He was transferred to the Washington area in 1976. He retired for health reasons in December of 1987.
Survivors include his wife, Barbara Miller Strother, two sons, Nathan L. and Terrill Q. Strother, and a daughter, Bridget Serian Strother, all of Washington, and two brothers, Joseph A. Strother of Willingboro, N.J., and James E. Strother of Yeadon, Pa.
ELEANOR B. SMITH, 70, a member of Queen of Apostles Catholic Church in Alexandria and the Army Transportation Corps Wives Club, died of a heart ailment Jan. 11 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Alexandria.
Mrs. Smith was a native of Cresson, Pa., where she was athletic director of the Mount Aloysius Junior College from 1939 to 1940. She accompanied her husband, retired Army Lt. Col. Ellsworth W. Smith, on assignments in Hawaii and Europe. They settled in the Washington area about 1960.
In addition to her husband, of Alexandria, survivors include two sons, Gregory B. Smith of Arlington and Army Lt. Col. Thomas C. Smith of Springfield; a daughter, Susan B. Smith of Boston; a brother, Irvin Bishop of Pennsylvania; a sister, Esther M. Hanlon of Altoona, Pa., and two grandchildren.
HUGH EDWARD CARLETON, 94, a naval engineer with the Foster Wheeler Corp. for more than 50 years before retiring about 1968, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 13 at the Powhatan Nursing Home in Falls Church, where he had lived for two years.
Mr. Carleton, who moved here in 1938, was a native of New York City. He joined Foster Wheeler in New Jersey in 1917.
He was a member of St. John's Catholic Church in McLean and the Congressional Country Club.
His wife, Ellen Bernadette (Nell) Carleton, died in 1972. Survivors include a daughter, Helen Spewak of McLean; three sons, William H. Carleton of Annapolis, and Richard S. and Robert P. Carleton, both of McLean; a brother, Henry Carleton of St. Petersburg, Fla.; 10 grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.
JUDITH ANN HARTGEN, 51, a former State Department secretary, died of cancer Jan. 7 at a Hospice in Branford, Conn.
Miss Hartgen was born in Reading, Pa. She moved to the Washington area and became a State Department secretary in 1964. During her 23 years at the State Department, she had served with the Sinai peace-keeping force in the Middle East and at the U.S. Embassy in Saigon during the late 1960s.
For the last five years, she had been assigned to a section dealing with immigration.
A former resident of Alexandria, Miss Hartgen resigned from the State Department and moved to Branford last year.
Survivors include her mother, Harriett Hartgen of Branford; a brother, Roger Hartgen of Deerfield, N.H., and three sisters, Nancy Altrui and Frances Skelton, both of Branford, and Katharine Hartgen of Clinton, Conn.
WILLIAM HOOKER RYLAND SR., 82, a retired supply officer with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, died of a heart ailment Jan. 11 at the National Institutes of Health. He lived in Chevy Chase.
Mr. Ryland was born in Russellville, Ky. He graduated from Bethel College in Kentucky. In 1938 he moved to the Washington area and joined what became NOAA. He retired in 1977. He was a member of the North Chevy Chase United Methodist Church and the Kentucky State Society.
His first wife, Grace Bozarth Ryland, died in 1958.
Survivors include his wife, Lee Berger Anderson Ryland of Chevy Chase; two children, Anne Ryland Sheffer of Washington and Robert Walter Ryland of Lewellen, Neb.; a sister, Sophie Cowling of Redding, Calif.; 10 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.
SARA ANN FRANKEL, 42, director of the Agency for International Development's Caribbean regional housing and urban development office, died Jan. 11 at a hospital in Kingston, Jamaica, of injuries suffered in an car accident that day.
Kingston police said Miss Frankel was the driver of a car that was struck by another car as she drove from a side street into a main thoroughfare near Jamaica House, the residence of the prime minister.
Miss Frankel was born in Lebanon, Conn. She graduated from Syracuse University. She moved to Washington in 1967 and joined the National Association of Home Builders as an economics research analyst.
Between 1971 and 1976, she worked for a real estate consulting firm in Teaneck, N.J., the Federal Home Loan Bank Board in San Francisco and for a company developing an urban development plan for the government of Nigeria.
She joined AID in Washington as a housing specialist in 1976. Miss Frankel was an AID housing adviser in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, from 1978 to 1981, then returned to Washington as a housing officer. She had been in Jamaica since 1983.
Survivors include her mother, Judith Frankel of Chevy Chase, and a brother, David Frankel of Veazie, Maine.
ANGELA F. OBERMEYER, 68, a supply clerk for the Army Corps of Engineers at Fort Belvoir and a member of the St. Louis Catholic Church in Alexandria, died Jan. 11 at the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond after heart surgery.
Mrs. Obermeyer, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Millbrook, N.Y. She graduated from the Krissler School of Business in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
In 1941, she married Charles R. Obermeyer, an Army officer who retired as a lieutenant colonel. She accompanied him to various military posts in the United States and also to Germany, Japan and Okinawa. The family settled here in 1962. Mrs. Obermeyer began working at Fort Belvoir from 1964 until her death.
She had been a Red Cross volunteer, and she also had been a volunteer fund-raiser for the Army Distaff Hall, a residence for the widows of Army officers. She was a member of Moose Lodge No. 583 in Woodbridge.
In addition to her husband, of Alexandria, survivors include five sons, Charles R. Obermeyer II and Frederick Charles Obermeyer, both of Alexandria, William Thomas Obermeyer of Pescadero, Calif., Robert John Obermeyer of Springfield, and Edward A. Obermeyer of Virginia Beach, and two brothers, seven sisters, and five grandchildren.
WALTER W. ALBERSHEIM, 75, a former owner and operator of Gilbert's Photo and Camera store in the Wheaton Plaza shopping center, died of heart and kidney ailments Jan. 11 at the Meridian Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Silver Spring.
Mr. Albersheim, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Billerbeck, Germany. Before moving to the United States in 1947, he had operated photography studios in Barcelona and in Amsterdam. He had a photography studio and camera store in Baltimore before moving to the Washington area about 1950.
He operated Gilbert's Photo and Camera here until he retired in 1983.
His first wife, Susan Albersheim, died in 1974.
Survivors include his wife, Jeannette Albersheim of Silver Spring; a daughter, Edith Murray of Buffalo, and seven grandchildren.