Dr. Ernest Clarence Smith, 90, pastor emeritus of the Metropolitan Baptist Church in Washington and a past president of the Virginia Baptist State Convention, died of cancer Jan. 12 at St. Mary's Hospital in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Dr. Smith, who lived in Washington and West Palm Beach, was pastor of the Metropolitan Baptist Church from 1928 until he retired as pastor emeritus in 1977. Among other things he was noted for establishing the first church federal credit union and for starting a day care center.

He also was on the faculty of the Howard University School of Religion for many years and he was president of the Baptist Ministers Conference and the Baptist Education Conference.

He received honorary doctorates in divinity and law from Virginia Theological Seminary and an honorary doctorate in divinity from Virginia Union University and the Richmond, Va., Seminary.

A native of Cumberland County, Va., Dr. Smith graduated from Virginia Theological Seminary and from Virginia Union University. He received master's degrees at Columbia University and Union Theological Seminary.

While still a student, he served the Mount Carmel Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Va. From 1924 until he moved to Washington in 1928, he was pastor of the Second Baptist Church in Richmond.

Dr. Smith was a Mason and a member of Eureka Lodge No. 5 and he was a member of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity.

His first wife, Mamie Odile Smith, died in 1953. A son, Ernest Clarence Smith Jr., died in 1986.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy B. Smith of Washington and West Palm Beach; one son by his first marriage, the Rev. Oswald G. Smith of Washington; three sisters, Helen McCoy and Lena Greene, both of Newark, N.J., and Meade Wilson of Orange, N.J.; four grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren, and 10 great-great-grandchildren.


64, founder and president of the Chesapeake Petroleum Supply Co., a Quaker State oil distributorship in the Washington area, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 13 at Hilton Head Hospital in Hilton Head, S.C.

Mr. Davis, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in Boone, Iowa. He graduated from New Mexico State University and he served in the Army in the Pacific during World War II.

After the war he went into the oil business. He was a sales representative for Quaker State based in Charlotte, N.C., before moving here in 1961 and founding Chesapeake Petroleum in Gaithersburg.

Mr. Davis was a treasurer and a member of the board of directors of the Automotive Trade Association of the National Capital Area and a member of the Maryland New Car and Truck Dealers Association, the Washington Metropolitan Area Trucking Association, the Gaithersburg Rotary Club and the Gaithersburg Chamber of Commerce.

He also was a member of the Georgetown, Pisces and City clubs, the Bethesda Country Club and the Fairfield Hunt Club in Fairfield, Conn.

His marriage to Barbara Davis ended in divorce. His second wife, Mary Davis, died in 1985.

Survivors include his wife, Betty Davis of Chevy Chase; one daughter by his first marriage, Victoria McCullough of Old Lyme, Conn., and two stepdaughters, Elizabeth Lynn Evans of Boulder, Colo., and Lisa Anne Banks of Alexandria.


67, a retired meteorologist with the National Weather Service, died of cancer and a heart attack Jan. 12 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Huntoon, who lived in Vienna, was born in Aurora, Ill. He graduated from North Central College in Illinois. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces. He retired from the Air Force Reserve in 1961 as a lieutenant colonel.

After World War II, Mr. Huntoon joined what then was the National Weather Bureau and he was transferred to the Washington area from Los Angeles in 1960. He retired in 1975 as chief of the National Weather Service public services branch, a job that involved labor-management relations and personnel assignments.

A former resident of Arlington, Mr. Huntoon had been president of the Williamsburg Civic Association there and had been active in Democratic Party politics.

Survivors include his wife, Mary E. Huntoon of Woodstock, Va.; one son, Stephen L. Huntoon of Arlington, and one daughter, Nancy E. Huntoon of Fairfax.


52, a patent attorney with the Mobil Oil Corp. in Fairfax, died of a heart ailment Jan. 12 at Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Annandale.

Mr. Trojnar was born in Johnson City, N.Y. He graduated from the University of Rochester and received a law degree from George Washington University.

He worked for the GAF Film Corp. in Johnson City and served in the Army before moving to the Washington area in 1963.

In the early 1960s, Mr. Trojnar worked for the U.S. Patent Office and the law firm of W.D. Stokes. From 1967 to 1979, he was a member of the law firm of Plumley & Tyner, where he became a partner. He joined Mobil Oil in 1979 and was an associate patent counsel at the time of his death.

He was a member of the National Patent Law Association and St. Michael's Catholic Church in Annandale.

Survivors include his wife, Dolores Trojnar, two daughters, Lisa and Aimee Trojnar, and one son, Erik Trojnar, all of Annandale; one sister, Irene Lenga of Johnson City, and two brothers, Arthur Trojnar of Binghamton, N.Y., and Thaddeus Trojnar of Placentia, Calif.


64, the office manager in the department of surgery clinics at Children's Hospital National Medical Center and a leader in the Jamaican community in Washington, died of an aortic aneurysm Jan. 11 at the home of her daughter in Kingston, Jamaica.

Miss Stanford, who had lived in Washington since 1960, was born in St. Mary, Jamaica. She was a domestic worker here until she went to work at Children's Hospital in 1969. She was named the hospital's employee of the year in 1986.

In 1978, Miss Stanford received the Order of Merit from the Jamaican government for her service to the Jamaican community in Washington. In 1984, she received a community service award from the Caribbean Intercultural Organization, and in 1987, she received a similar honor from the Century Club of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women's Clubs Inc.

Miss Stanford was a volunteer foster mother for Family and Child Services of Washington and for many years was a volunteer with the annual Smithsonian Folklife Festival.

She was an elder of the Sixth Presbyterian Church.

Her marriage to Nathaniel James Bess ended in divorce and she resumed use of her maiden name.

Survivors include one daughter, Lorna Bess of Kingston.


75, a retired Washington public relations consultant, died Jan. 15 at his home in Bethesda. Montgomery County police said the death was a suicide by hanging.

From the late 1960s until he retired in 1982, Mr. Jager was the manager of his own public relations consulting firm in Washington, Communication Sciences Inc.

For two years before that he had been press secretary to Pennsylvania Gov. Milton Shapp, and for two years before that had been director of manpower information for the U.S. Department of Labor.

A native of Suffern, N.Y., Mr. Jager moved to the Washington area in the mid-1940s. He did public relations work for the Communications Workers of America and had been director of publications and public relations for the industrial union department of the AFL-CIO before joining the Labor Department.

His marriage to Pauline Greenhouse Jager ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth Rodgers Jager of Bethesda; one brother, Jack Jager of Nyack, N.Y., and two sisters, Ruth Anderson and Bertha Gertz, both of San Francisco.