It was incorrectly reported yesterday that D.C. ambulance division director John Cavenagh did not attend Mayor Marion Barry's news conference Wednesday. (Published 1/22/88)

Mayor Marion Barry, voicing outrage at Sunday's death of a Northeast man after an ambulance took 40 minutes to reach his home, announced yesterday the suspension of seven D.C. emergency service employees and ordered an investigation of the incident.

Barry appointed Public Health Commissioner Reed V. Tuckson to investigate a long series of errors that delayed an ambulance crew sent to the home of Mozone Kelly, 38, who began hemorrhaging Sunday morning. Kelly's relatives eventually drove him to D.C. General Hospital, where he soon died.

Fire Department officials admitted Monday that an ambulance crew failed to read a city map, was not monitored by dispatchers and drove to two incorrect locations before arriving at Kelly's home in the 1600 block of 11th Place NE.

"It is totally unacceptable," Barry said during his monthly news conference. "It was totally out of line with their training . . . their protocol . . . and totally out of line with everything." Barry warned that city ambulance crews "better not get lost again. {Or} They'll get lost at 500 C Street," where the city's unemployment office is located.

Barry also said that, in an effort to alleviate staffing shortages, he will ask the D.C. Council to amend the District's residency law to allow the hiring of paramedics who live outside the city.

Neither Fire Chief Theodore R. Coleman nor ambulance service director John Cavenagh, who assumed his post in November, was present at the news conference. Neither has been available for comment this week, although Cavenagh has scheduled a news conference for tomorrow.

Barry said that a Fire Department lieutenant, two emergency radio operators, two 911 call-takers and the two ambulance crew members who were lost have been suspended with pay until Tuckson's investigation is completed. Tuckson said he expects to be finished by Monday.

Kelly's death is one of two in the past week that occurred after ambulances apparently were slow to reach the scene. In a previously unreported case, Library of Congress officials said yesterday that an employee died Friday shortly after emergency workers took 15 minutes to arrive, even though two fire stations are located less than a mile away.

In a third case, a Northwest woman said she slipped on ice Friday and lay waiting for an ambulance for 45 minutes, despite five 911 calls placed by neighbors.

Fire and ambulance officials have declined to comment on either of Friday's incidents.

In interviews yesterday, Fire Department sources and medical officials said the incidents underscore the problems with training, equipment and communication that riddle the city's ambulance division.

"This is intolerable," said Dr. Harry Champion, director of the Washington Hospital Center's MedStar trauma unit. "As the catalogue of complaints and catastrophes grows, you have to look higher and higher in the fire department ranks. Either they have the knowledge and insight to repair these problems, and it's just a cavalier disregard of things. Or they do not have the knowledge, and must be replaced."

The city ambulance service was heavily criticized last year for lost or late ambulances and recurring dispatching errors. Kelly's death Sunday was the ninth time since September 1986 that a District resident died after ambulances were slow to arrive, though officials have found no links between the deaths and the delays.

Capt. Theodore Holmes, a Fire Department spokesman, said he had been unable to obtain details on Friday's death at the Library of Congress, which occurred after an employee collapsed about 9:15 a.m. in the library's Madison Building on First Street SE. Peter Dunin-Borkowski, 68, of Alexandria had worked in the library's shared cataloguing division since 1968.

Library spokeswoman Nancy Bush said security officers called 911 for an ambulance as two library nurses tried to resuscitate the man. Library security records show that no city emergency medical services arrived until 15 minutes later, she said. Dunin-Borkowski was brought to Capitol Hill Hospital and died minutes later.

"It was ridiculous, we were just waiting and waiting," said Galina Tschurin, who attended to Dunin-Borkowski when he collapsed. "The fire station is only a few blocks away."

In an interview after Sunday's incident, Holmes said that emergency dispatchers, upon receiving a call about an unconscious person, must send a fire company to the scene. To do so, he said, takes "three minutes."

In the other alleged ambulance delay Friday, Lucie Davis, 65, slipped on ice while walking from a friend's home at 10 p.m. Davis, hospitalized with a broken pelvis, said she lay in the middle of Bending Lane for about 45 minutes as friends warmed her with blankets and awaited an ambulance's arrival.