Albert Philipson, 77, a Washington lawyer and officer of the D.C. Bar Association, died of a respiratory infection Jan. 21 at George Washington University Hospital.
Mr. Philipson had been in the private practice of law here since 1946. In the early 1970s he organized his own firm, Philipson, Mallios & Tomar. For 25 years he had been a member of the corporation law committee of the D.C. Bar Association, and he had served three terms as its chairman. In that capacity he had been instrumental in the drafting of the D.C. Business Corporation Law of 1954 and of related legislation.
A resident of Washington, Mr. Philipson was born in Ossining, N.Y., and graduated from Columbia University, from which he also received his law degree. He came to Washington in 1934 and joined the Farm Credit Administration, where he served for several years as deputy land bank commissioner.
During World War II, Mr. Philipson served in the Army Quartermaster Corps, and he was awarded a Legion of Merit.
After the war he joined the Washington law firm of Newmeyer and Bress. Later he became a partner, and he remained there until he organized his own law firm.
In 1959 he organized and later served as secretary-treasurer and director of the National Foundation for Research in Medicine, a nonprofit research organization.
Mr. Philipson had served on the board of directors and as counsel of the Washington Hebrew Congregation.
He had written several articles on legal issues, and he had given lectures for D.C. Bar Association educational programs.
Survivors include his wife, Edna Gumenick Philipson of Washington; two daughters, Romlee P. Weinstein of Carmel, Ind., and Lorrin P. Willis of Pelham Manor, N.Y.
FRANCES PRESTON HALE, 76, a resident of the Washington area for 37 years who had been active in the annual Vassar College alumni book sales here, died of pneumonia Jan. 17 at a hospital in Burlington, Vt.
Mrs. Hale, who lived in Westport, N.Y., was born in New York City. She graduated from Vassar College in 1934, and taught school in New York before moving here in 1943.
As a member of the Vassar Club of Washington, she helped organize Vassar book sales from 1943 to 1980, when she returned to New York. She also served as a rare book specialist with the sales.
Mrs. Hale was a member of Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill Episcopal Church in Alexandria where she had taught Sunday school. In earlier years she was active in PTA groups in the Alexandria public schools.
Her husband, Matthew Hale, died in 1983. Survivors include one son, Matthew Hale Jr. of Washington; five daughters, Sarah H. Ashworth of Barrington, R.I., Elizabeth Hale of Washington, Margaret H. Sheeser of the Netherlands Antilles, Anne H. Schafer of Alexandria, and Abby Hale of Westford, Vt.; one brother, Percy Preston of Hopewell, N.J.; one sister, Margaret Preston Symonds of Wilton, Conn., and six grandchildren.
LEVOY G. VENABLE, 64, retired chief of operations of the Internal Revenue Service criminal division, died of leukemia Jan. 19 at Mount Vernon Hospital.
Mr. Venable had worked 27 years for the IRS before his retirement in 1978. Since his retirement he had worked as a consultant on tax matters.
A resident of Alexandria, he was born in Vincent, Ky. He graduated from Berea College. During World War II he served in the Army.
After the war Mr. Venable joined the IRS, and he was regional coordinator of the criminal division in Cincinnati before he moved to this area in 1971.
Survivors include his wife, Jewell, and two sons, Bryan and Stephen Venable, all of Alexandria; three daughters, Janet Baugh of Falls Church, and Vicky Maddy and Brenda Lea, both of Alexandria; one sister, Ella Jean Williams of Chicago, and four grandchildren.
WILLIAM MAYO JONES, 84, retired Washington representative for the Indiana Limestone Co., died of a heart attack Jan. 18 at a nursing home in Peoria, Ill.
Mr. Jones was born in Bedford, Ind. He attended DePauw and Indiana universities. In 1928, he moved to Washington to represent Indiana Limestone. He retired from that job in 1976 and moved to Peoria in 1986.
His wife, Dorcas Jones, died in October 1987. Survivors include one daughter, Dorcas Tauscher of Peoria; two sons, David Jones of Fairview, Ohio, and Richard Jones of Indiana Hills, Colo.; seven grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.
GEORGE E. PITTS, 55, a retired Army colonel who was vice president for plans, marketing and training for Arrow General Inc., a Washington janitorial business, died of cancer Jan. 18 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He lived in Potomac.
He joined Arrow General two years ago.
Col. Pitts served in the Army for 30 years before retiring in 1985. He spent much of his military career in the Transportation Corps, serving in West Germany and South Korea. He served in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969. His last assignment was as deputy chief of staff for logistics of the Army Western Command in Hawaii.
His decorations included two awards of the Legion of Merit and the Defense Department's Superior Service Medal.
Col. Pitts, who had lived in the Washington area since 1965, was a native of Chicago. He was an honors graduate of Southern University in Louisiana and received a master's degree in logistics management at the Air Force Institute of Technology.
Survivors include his wife, Othearea Beatty Pitts of Potomac; two sons, Andrew Beatty Pitts of Randallstown, Md., and Army Capt. Martin Beatty Pitts, who is stationed in Stuttgart, West Germany, and three brothers, William B. Jr., of Woodbridge, Gene, of Natchitoches, La., and James P., of Wayne, Ohio.
ORANGELO JOSEPH (ANGIE) RATTO JR., 92, who was manager of the old Lowe's Palace Theater in Washington for 28 years before retiring in 1960, died Jan. 16 at Hadley Memorial Hospital. He had congestive heart failure.
Mr. Ratto was born in Washington, and started working as a theater prop assistant in 1910. He joined Lowe's Palace in 1915, became an assistant manager in 1921 and manager in 1932. In the 1920s and 1930s, he played the accordion on local radio. He also wrote and played the tune, "Give Me a Smile."
He was a member of Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Washington.
His first wife, Louise G. Ratto, died in 1949. His second wife, Prosperina M. Ratto, died in 1986. He leaves no immediate survivors.
JOHN JOSEPH KANE, 73, a retired retail advertising account executive with the old Washington Star newspaper, died of cancer Jan. 19 at his home in Silver Spring.
Mr. Kane was a native of Washington and attended McKinley Technical High School. During World War II, he served with the Navy in the carrier Yorktown.
He joined the Star as a messenger in 1935, later becoming a cashier, then an account executive. He retired in 1975. He then sold men's clothing at the Georgetown University Shop until retiring a second time in July 1987.
Mr. Kane was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Silver Spring, the Holy Name Society and the Ancient Order of Hibernians.
Surviors include his wife, Theresa, of Silver Spring; three sons, Timothy, of Bethesda, Michael, of Silver Spring, and David, of Greensboro, N.C.; two daughters, Kathleen Kane Sample of Gaithersburg, and Mary Kane Walker of Baltimore; a brother, Daniel J., of Bethesda; a sister, Rita M. Kane of Patuxant, Md.; eight grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.
BRADLEY M. WOODFIELD, 94, retired owner of a Ford-Mercury dealership in Damascus, died of kidney failure Jan. 19 at the Brook Grove Nursing Home in Olney. He lived in Damascus.
Mr. Woodfield was born in Damascus and graduated from Damascus High School. He became a Ford and Mercury dealer in 1915. During World War I, he served in the Army. He returned to his automobile dealership after the war and retired in 1976.
He belonged to the Automobile Trade Association of Maryland and the National Automobile Dealers Association and was a founding member of the Damascus Lions Club and the Damascus Volunteer Fire Department.
Mr. Woodfield also was a past president of the board of the Bank of Damascus and had been a member of Damascus United Methodist Church and the American Legion.
His wife, Marian Howard Woodfield, died in 1984. Survivors include a son, Henry Woodfield of Rockville; a daughter, Carolyn W. Bennett of Damascus; a brother, George W. Woodfield of Gaithersburg; five grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.
CHARLES WRIGHT, 59, a baseball, wrestling and soccer coach at Surrattsville High School in Prince George's County who also had been an elementary school physical education teacher for almost 30 years, died of cancer Jan. 19 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center.
Mr. Wright was the physical education teacher at Fort Washington and Apple Grove elementary schools when his cancer was discovered last March. He retired shortly thereafter, but he continued as a soccer coach at Surrattsville High School in the fall.
An account of his struggle with cancer was published in The Maryland Weekly editions of The Washington Post on Oct. 8.
Mr. Wright, who lived in Indian Head, was born in Washington. He graduated from Charlotte Hall Military Academy and the University of Maryland where he also earned a master's degree in physical education. He served in the Army from 1954 to 1956, then joined the Prince George's school system as a physical education teacher and coach.
For about the last 10 years, Mr. Wright had been on the coaching staff at Surrattsville High School. He had also coached football, indoor track and cross country.
Until he was in his late 40s, Mr. Wright had played in adult baseball leagues in Southern Maryland.
Survivors include his wife, Bailey Wright of Indian Head; four sons, Charles Wright of Hyattsville, and Jaime, John and Will Wright, all of Indian Head; and a daughter, Nancy Wright of Waldorf.
BLANCHE H. NEWSOM, 80, a Washington resident from 1951 to 1976, died Jan. 19 at a hospital in Columbus, Ind., after a heart attack.
Mrs. Newsom was born in Pigeon, Ind., and attended Indiana University.
She moved to Washington when her husband, Herschel D. Newsom, took a job here with the National Grange. He died in 1970.
Survivors include two sons, David H. Newsom of Rockville and Jesse R. Newsom of DeWitt, N.Y., and seven grandchildren.
TRUMAN McCRAY, 73, a chauffeur in Washington for more than 50 years who was employed from 1957 to 1981 for the old AMF Inc., a leisure time and industrial products firm, died Jan. 20 at Georgetown University Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Washington.
Mr. McCray, a native of Marion, S.C., moved to the Washington area in 1934 to work for retired Army Col. James Monroe Johnson after he was appointed assistant secretary of the Department of Commerce.
He worked for officials of the old Office of War Mobilization during the early 1940s, and then during World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.
After the war, Mr. McCray resumed his career as a chauffeur at the State Department. He worked during the late 1940s on the staff of Ambassador David K.E. Bruce, and traveled with him to assignments in Britain, France and China.
Mr. McCray was employed in the mid-1950s by Army Gen. Walter Bedell Smith, who became undersecretary of state. He remained on Smith's staff when the general became vice chairman of the board at AMF in 1957. After Gen. Smith's death, Mr. McCray continued to work for AMF. He retired in 1981.
Survivors include his wife, Dorothy McCray of Washington; three sons, Truman McCray Jr. of Bedford, Mass., and Truhan and Marshall McCray, both of Washington; three daughters, Diana McCray, Helen Livingston, and Amanda Lewis, all of Washington; one stepbrother, Frank Foxworth of Portsmouth, Va.; one sister, Mary Frazier of Elizabethtown, N.C., and 14 grandchildren.
RUTH G. TAYLOR, 89, a retired chief of nursing with the Children's Bureau in the old Department of Health, Education and Welfare, died of congestive heart failure and renal failure Jan. 17 at a nursing home in Williamsport, Pa.
Miss Taylor, who moved from Washington to Pennsylvania last month, was born in Williamsport. She graduated from Wellesley College and earned a degree in nursing from Johns Hopkins University. She received a master's degree in nursing from Columbia University and an honorary doctorate from Boston University in 1968.
During the 1920s, she was a member of the faculty at the University of Chicago. She later helped organize health care projects for the poor throughout New York State.
Miss Taylor moved to the Washington area about 1935, and worked for the international health division of the Rockefeller Foundation, where she spent several years helping to establish nursing clinics in Europe. In 1946, she went to work for the Children's Bureau, where she became the chief nurse. She retired in 1966.
She later was a volunteer with the National Gallery of Art and the Hirshhorn Museum, where she helped train docents. She also was a member of the Wellesley Club, the Woman's National Democratic Club and the Association of Public Health Nurses.
Survivors include two sisters, Mary Louise and Jane Taylor, both of Williamsport, and one brother, Edward L. Taylor of White Plains, N.Y.