James Daniel Theberge, 57, former U.S. ambassador to Chile and Nicaragua, a consultant to the Central Intelligence Agency and an author and professor, died Jan. 20 after a heart attack at Montego Bay, Jamaica. He was on vacation there when he was stricken.

Mr. Theberge served as ambassador to Chile from 1982 to 1985, and as ambassador to Nicaragua from 1975 to 1977, both sensitive periods in U.S. relations with those two nations.

Since 1985, he had been an international management and investment counselor in Washington as president of CORE International, an international management consulting firm.

He was an adviser to Vice President Bush on drug trafficking and a member of the CIA's central review panel.

From 1970 to 1975, Mr. Theberge was director of Latin American and Iberian studies at Georgetown University.

A resident of Washington, he was born in Oceanside, N.Y., and graduated from Columbia University. He did graduate work at Oxford University in England and at Heidelberg University in West Germany during the 1950s, and later was a Littauer Fellow at Harvard.

His first position with the State Department was that of economic adviser at the U.S. Embassy in Argentina from 1961 to 1964.

Later he was special adviser to the secretary of the Treasury and senior economist for the Inter-American Development Bank.

He also taught at St. Anthony's and St. Peter's colleges in England and at universities in Argentina, Brazil and California.

In 1974 and 1975, Mr. Theberge was director of the Latin American project of the Rockefeller Commission on Critical Choices for the Americas.

He had written several books and articles, including "Reflections of a Diplomat," published in 1985, "Soviet Presence in Latin America," "Latin America: Struggle for Progress," and "Spain in the '70s."

Mr. Theberge was chairman of the National Council on Latin America and senior counselor of the Atlantic Council of the United States.

He was a member of the Cosmos, Metropolitan and Chevy Chase clubs, the International Institute of Strategic Studies, the Royal Institute of International Affairs, the Caribbean Studies Association and the English Speaking Union.

Survivors include his wife, Giselle Fages Theberge, and three sons, James Christopher, John Paul, and Alexander Leonard, all of Washington.


70, a retired career Foreign Service officer with the State Department and former ambassador to Guyana, was found dead Jan. 20 in his automobile in a Washington parking lot.

A spokesman for the Washington Medical Examiner's Office said that Mr. King died after a heart attack.

Mr. King was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He graduated from Yale University and studied economics at the University of Chicago. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific and received the Silver Star.

He joined the State Department in 1946 and served for two years in Bolivia, then transferred to the Washington area in 1948. From 1951 to 1954, he was chief of the economic and political sections at the U.S. Embassy in Prague.

Mr. King had several assignments in Washington during the late 1950s. During the early 1960s, he was assigned to Ecuador and the Dominican Republic. He was deputy inspector general of the Foreign Service Inspection Corps before being named ambassador to Guyana in 1969. He retired in 1974.

He was a member of the Foreign Service Association, Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired, the University Club, the Yale Club and Manor Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Josephine King of Washington, and two stepsons, Sheldon Smith of La Crosse, Wis., and Richard L. Smith of Sandy Spring.


69, veteran news picture executive for United Press International, died at his home in Washington Jan. 21, a month after he had heart surgery.

Mr. Majeski was chosen to head UPI Newspictures as vice president and executive editor in the service's new world headquarters in Washington in 1983.

He had been executive editor since 1968, and in that capacity he oversaw all UPI picture coverage and editing, domestic and international.

Mr. Majeski often boasted that he had never shot a news photo in his career. But he was known as an expert photo editor with a great eye for a good picture.

Mr. Majeski spotted the most memorable picture of the funeral of President John F. Kennedy in 1963. Looking at the film of a group shot of family mourners, Mr. Majeski, who was known as "Ted" to his friends, cropped the picture down to show only Kennedy's son John in a solemn salute.

Mr. Majeski joined AcmeNewspictures, predecessor of UPI Newspictures, in 1941 as telephoto editor. He served as New York bureau manager, news editor, feature editor and managing editor before becoming executive editor. He moved to Washington when UPI relocated here in 1983.

Mr. Majeski was born in Drexel Hill, Pa. He attended New York University School of Journalism and began his career with news magazines. In World War II, he was in charge of the Signal Corps' worldwide radio-photo section at the Pentagon.

He is survived by his wife, a daughter and a granddaughter.


85, a longtime area resident and a former schoolteacher, died Jan. 19 at Georgetown University Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Zeleny, who lived in University Park, was born in Three Lakes, Wis., and graduated from the University of Minnesota. She was a high school teacher in North Dakota and Minnesota before moving here in 1935, and she later was a substitute teacher in Prince George's County.

She participated in weightlifting programs at Holiday Spas and was a volunteer nursing home visitor.

Survivors include her husband, Dr. Lawrence Zeleny of University Park; one daughter, Nancy Kuhn of Rockville; one son, Dr. William Zeleny of Monterey, Calif., and four grandchildren.


66, who designed medical instruments and training aids at Bethesda Naval Medical Center while serving there as a biomedical engineer and chief of the repair and design division, died of cancer Jan. 20 at his home in Chevy Chase.

He was born in Washington and attended both Central High School in the city and Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, where he played on championship basketball teams. He then joined the engineering staff at the National Naval Observatory. He graduated from the Navy's Engineering and Design School in Philadelphia and from the Peters School of Horology.

During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific, then returned as a civilian to the Naval Observatory and worked as an optical engineer and instrument maker. He was official White House timekeeper during the Eisenhower presidency.

In 1966, Mr. Gaist transferred to the Naval Medical Center. He retired in 1977.

Survivors include his wife, Frances Syden Gaist of Chevy Chase; two children, Paul Alan Gaist of Gaithersburg and Candy Helene Brenner of New Boston, N.H., and four grandchildren.


78, a retired secretary with the Securities and Exchange Commission, died Jan. 20 at the Southern Maryland Hospital Center. She had multiple sclerosis.

Mrs. Cannon, who lived in Forestville, was born in Fairbury, Neb. She joined the federal government in Philadelphia in the late 1940s. She transferred to the Washington area with the Bureau of Prisons in 1957 and later went to work for the SEC. She retired in 1975.

Her marriage to John Cannon ended in divorce.

Survivors include one son, Charles H. Cannon of Edgewater, Md.; one brother, Bernard E. McKean of Virginia Beach, and three grandchildren.


39, a former Washington area resident who became an official with a Los Angeles automotive parts firm, died of a brain tumor Jan. 21 at the Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Los Angeles and returned to the Washington area for treatment in 1987.

Mr. Culotta was born in San Diego, Calif. He grew up in the Washington area and graduated from St. John's College High School here and St. Francis College in Maine. He moved to Ohio in the early 1970s and had lived in Los Angeles since 1974. He was a senior manager with Nippondenso of Los Angeles at the time of his death.

Survivors include his parents, Dr. Anthony and Margaret Culotta of Bethesda; four sisters, Patricia Seitts of Scottsdale, Ariz., Dr. Margaret Culotta-Norton and Kathleen Donohue, both of Bethesda, and Nancy Jeanne Culotta of Ann Arbor, Mich., and one brother, Anthony Paul Culotta Jr. of Bethesda.