Timothy J. O'Shea, 52, the director of international trade with the Washington office of the Westinghouse Corp., died Jan. 18 at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Potomac.

Mr. O'Shea was born in New York City. He graduated from Fordham University there. He served in the Army during the late 1950s and the early 1960s.

He joined Westinghouse in 1956 and had worked for the firm in Pittsburgh, New York City, Elmyra, N.Y. and East Springfield, N.Y.

From 1967 to 1970, Mr. O'Shea worked for Westinghouse in London as the European director of the components and materials group.

He moved to the Washington area in 1970 and was a member of the President's Interchange Program, a two-year program where private industry executives took posts in the federal government. He spent the next two years as director of marketing for the Department of Commerce.

Mr. O'Shea returned to Westinghouse in 1972 and joined the governmental affairs office, where he was director of international trade until his death.

He was a past president of the Washington Export Council, the Presidential Exchange Executives Association, and the Potomac Seneca Democratic Club. In 1982 he was an unsuccessful Democratic candidate for the Montgomery County Board of Education. He was a member of St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Gaithersburg.

Survivors include his wife, Evlyn O'Shea, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Helen O'Shea, all of Potomac, and two sisters, Mary Ellen McNamara and Noreen Dailey, both of New York City.


69, a retired Navy commander and a former official of the Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command, died of cancer Jan. 23 at his home in Arlington.

Cmdr. Berg was born in Atlanta and graduated from the University of Miami in Florida. He joined the Navy in 1936. During World War II, he served in the Atlantic and the Pacific.

He later had assignments in this country and in Guam. He was transferred to the Washington area in 1957 and was assigned to the Defense Communications Agency. He was the assistant chief of its standards division when he retired from active duty in 1966.

Cmdr. Berg became a civilian employee of what became the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command. He was an electronics engineer and a manager of standards in communications systems programs when he retired again in 1986.

For 11 years he was the Navy's representative on the Military Standard 188 Joint Steering Committee, where standards in the fields of fiber optics and tactical digital information are developed.

Cmdr. Berg received the Joint Services Commendation Medal for outstanding service in 1966 and a Special Achievement Award in 1980 from the Naval Electronics Systems Command.

In 1969 he helped develop "Radio to Radar," a history of the Navy's major radio and electronic events now on display at the Naval Museum at the Washington Naval Yard.

Cmdr. Berg was a founding member and a past historian of the Professional Association of Naval Electronic Engineers and Scientists. He had been a member of Toastmasters International, the Amateur Radio League, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, a music fraternity, and the Potomac Area Chapter of the Federal Safety Council.

Survivors include his wife of 36 years, Sarah Berg of Arlington, and one sister, Grace Eisenstein of Los Angeles.


84, the former office manager for the Junior League of Washington, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Jan. 20 at her home in Manchester, N.H.

Mrs. Burroughs was born in Washington and graduated from Vassar College.

In 1929, she married William S. Parsons, a career Navy officer who retired from the service as a rear admiral. She accompanied him to various Navy posts around the country. He died in 1953.

She became office manager for the Junior League of Washington after her first husband's death, and continued in that capacity until 1965, when she married Robert P. Burroughs and moved to Manchester.

Mrs. Burroughs was an enthusiastic golfer and tennis player and had won several tournaments. She was a member of the Chevy Chase Club and had belonged to the Army Navy Country Club.

In addition to her husband, of Manchester, she is survived by two daughters, Clara Parsons of Virginia Beach and Margaret Bowditch of Philadelphia; one sister, Elisabeth Working of Hancock Point, Maine; four grandchildren, three stepchildren and eight stepgrandchildren. One daughter, Hannah Parsons, died at the age of 2 in 1935.


64, manager of the auto body shop at Al's Motors, a Chrysler dealership in Arlington, died of respiratory failure Jan. 22 at Peninsula General Hospital in Salisbury, Md.

Mr. Maggio, who had lived in Salisbury since 1977, was born in Italy. He grew up in Fort Lee, N.J., and attended the University of Kentucky. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe and received the Purple Heart.

He moved to the Washington area in 1949 and went to work as an automobile mechanic. During the 1950s and the 1960s, he worked for automobile dealerships in suburban Virginia and Maryland. During the 1970s, he was employed by Lee D. Butler, a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in Washington. Mr. Maggio had worked for Al's Motors since 1983, and had commuted from Salisbury.

Mr. Maggio had been a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Sons of Italy and the Loyal Order of the Moose.

Survivors include his wife, Gloria C. Maggio of Salisbury; two sons, Michael Maggio of Lovingston, Va., and Charles Maggio of Falls Church; one daughter, Sharon Lee Lebowitz of Swarthmore, Pa.; two brothers, Russell Maggio of Paramus, N.J., and Charles Maggio of St. Petersburg, Fla.; four sisters, Constance Gallitano of Hackensack, N.J., Virginia DiMeglio of Fort Lee, Minnie Regas of Mays Landing, N.J., and Frances Zarro of Park Ridge, N.J., and three grandchildren.


69, a cataloguer in the Italian-Spanish section of the Library of Congress, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 15 at Capitol Hill Hospital.

Mr. Dunin-Borkowski, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Mlyniska, Poland, and studied history at Jan Kazimierz University and Jagiellonski University.

During World War II he fought with Free Polish Forces in Africa, then later studied at universities in Beirut and Paris before coming to the United States in the mid-1950s.

He received a master's degree in library science at Columbia University and worked in libraries at Columbia and at the University of Massachusetts before moving to this area and joining the staff at the Library of Congress in 1967.

Survivors include one sister in Canada and two brothers in Peru.