Stacy Beakes Hulse Jr., 67, a retired senior official of the Central Intelligence Agency, died of cancer Jan. 24 at his home on Kent Island, Md.

Mr. Hulse worked 26 years with the CIA before his retirement as chief of a division specializing in Soviet and Soviet Bloc affairs in 1978. He had also served as station chief in Canada and Greece. At his retirement he was awarded the CIA's Medal of Merit.

Mr. Hulse, a native of New Haven, Conn., grew up in Boston and graduated from Harvard University, where he was an outstanding ice hockey player. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II.

After the war he remained in Europe to play ice hockey with an international team, then managed a sports facility in Germany. In 1949, Mr. Hulse married Lorraine Baken Stickney in Garmish-Partenkirchen, Germany.

They lived briefly in France and the Virgin Islands, then returned to the United States. Before he joined the CIA, the couple had operated a ski lodge in Franconia, N.H.

In addition to his wife, of Kent Island, Mr. Hulse is survived by two sons, Stacy B. Hulse III of Cape Coral, Fla., and Scott Rogers Hulse of Bayfield, Wis.; two daughters, Leslie Anne Hulse of Washington and Susan Courtney Ives of Darnestown, Md.; and one granddaughter.

LUCY C. BIGGS, 48, commissioner on Developmental Disabilities for the Department of Health and Human Services, died of cancer Jan. 24 at the University of Tennessee Hospital in Knoxville.

Mrs. Biggs joined the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington in 1981. As commissioner on Developmental Disabilities she was responsible for the administration of programs aimed at maximizing the independence and productivity of 4 million disabled Americans.

She joined Health and Human Services as associate commissioner for the Administration on Children, Youth and Families. Later, as acting director of that division, she increased enrollment in the Head Start program.

Mrs. Biggs, a native of Knoxville, was a graduate of the University of Tennessee. She held a variety of jobs in the field of family and children's services and in programs for handicapped persons before she joined the Department of Health and Human Services.

Since 1981 she had lived in Falls Church during the week and commuted to Knoxville on weekends.

Survivors include her husband, Morgan Biggs, and two daughters, Huellen and Bronwyn Biggs, all of Knoxville.

MELVIN N. STACK, 54, a labor organizer and editor of labor union publications, died of a brain tumor Jan. 23 at the University of Maryland Hospital in Baltimore.

Mr. Stack, a resident of Columbia, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and graduated from the City College of New York. He did graduate work in mathematics and philosophy at Columbia University.

During the late 1950s he served in the Army.

In 1960, Mr. Stack came to Washington to work for the industrial union department of the AFL-CIO. Later he worked for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees. He helped organize the Washington Teachers Union, then in 1967 became assistant editor of the publication of the American Federation of Government Employees. Later, he was editor of The Advocate, a publication of the Retail Clerks International Association.

From the early 1970s until last year, Mr. Stack was assistant to the organizing director of the United Food and Commercial Workers. For about the last six months he had been working on a program to develop volunteer organizers for the organizing department of the AFL-CIO.

He was a former vice president of the International Labor Press Association.

His marriage to the former Ruth Siegel ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Nessie Stack of Columbia; one daughter of his first marriage, Rebecca Stack of Boston; one son of his second marriage, Ian Stack of Columbia; and two daughters of his second marriage, Shona and Kendra Stack, both of Columbia.

J. EVERETT BULGHER, 68, president of the Fred A. Smith Co., a Washington real estate concern where he had worked since 1946, died Jan. 23 at Georgetown University Hospital after surgery for a heart ailment. He lived in Bethesda.

He had been president of the Smith Co. since 1975. He also had been treasurer and director of both Southwest Properties Inc. and Webster Gardens Inc., and secretary-treasurer of Seventeenth and L Streets Properties Inc., all real estate groups.

Mr. Bulgher, who moved here in 1938, was a native of Richmond County, Va. He was a graduate of Benjamin Franklin University, where he also earned a master's degree in commercial science. He served with the Army Air Forces in the Far East during World War II.

He was a member of the North Chevy Chase Christian Church in Chevy Chase, the Kiwanis Club of Washington, the Washington Board of Realtors, and the Greater Washington Board of Trade.

Survivors include his wife, Louise G., of Bethesda; a son, David E., of Columbia; a daughter, Debra L. Bulgher of Houston, and two sisters, Nina B. Peregrim of Silver Spring, and Lucille Bulgher of Washington.

MARGARET CROSSON WILEY, 88, a former reporter for The Washington Post who had done volunteer work here, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 23 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Wiley was a seventh-generation Washingtonian and a graduate of Immaculata Academy. She was on the news staff of The Post during the 1920s.

From 1931 to 1958, she lived in Toledo, where her husband, Donald A. Wiley, was business manager of the Toledo Blade. He died in 1967.

Since her return to Washington in 1958, Mrs. Wiley had done volunteer work with the Seton Guild of St. Ann's Infant and Maternity Home in Washington.

Survivors include one daughter, Margaret Schlageter of Caracas, Venezuela; two sons, Donald A. Wiley Jr. of St. Paul, Minn., and John Blaine Wiley of Perrysburg, Ohio; 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

GERTRUDE COOPER WATKINS, 96, a longtime Washington area resident who was active in church and the Daughters of the American Revolution, died Jan. 23 at her home in Potomac of complications after a stroke.

Mrs. Watkins was born in Greenfield, Ind., and graduated from Earlham College. She moved to this area shortly after World War I.

For more than 50 years she had been a member of the North Chevy Chase Christian Church and its predecessor, the Columbia Heights Christian Church in Washington. She had done volunteer work for the Red Cross.

Her husband, retired Army Col. Charles B. Watkins, died in 1976.

Survivors include three sons, Robert B. Watkins of Columbus, Ohio, retired Army Col. Norman C. Watkins of Annandale and Joseph C. Watkins of Potomac; one brother, Warren G. Cooper of Tucson; nine grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.