Roger E. Spreen, 67, a consultant with the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory who was a retired Navy rear admiral and veteran of three wars, died of cancer Jan. 29 at his home in Alexandria.

During World War II, he served in the Pacific with Adm. Arleigh Burke's famed "Little Beaver" destroyer squadron. He commanded a destroyer escort in Korean waters during the war there, and a destroyer squadron in Vietnamese waters from 1967 to 1968.

Adm. Spreen also had taken part in the 1958 Navy-Marine expedition to Lebanon, commanded a destroyer off Cuba during the Cuban missile crisis, and commanded a carrier task group in the Mediterranean. He had commissioned the Farragut, an early guided-missile destroyer, held staff posts in Europe, and had been director of Navy Management Information Systems. He retired from active duty in 1974 as commander of the Naval Ordnance Command.

His Navy decorations included the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star Medal with combat V, the Meritorious Service Medal and the Navy Commendation Medal with combat V.

From 1974 until his death, he was a consultant with the Applied Physics Laboratory, where he was a theoretician in the development and successful deployment of the Aegis combat system. Many of his Navy posts had concerned technical weaponry research and development.

He had served on the board of the Navy Relief Society and was a member of the Army Navy Country Club and several engineering societies.

Adm. Spreen was born in Indiana and grew up in Ohio. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1942, and received a degree in mechanical engineering from the Naval Post Graduate School and a master's degree in metallurgical engineering from the Carnegie Institute of Technology. He also received a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University and was a graduate of both the Industrial College of the Armed Forces and the British Joint Services Staff College.

Survivors include his wife, Janette Miller Spreen of Alexandria; two sons, Roger Jr., of Philadelphia, and Wesley, of Brussels; a sister, Marie Jones of Silver Spring; a brother, Lowell, of Sidney, Ohio, and three grandchildren.


91, a retired law professor who had taught at George Washington University and the University of Michigan and who specialized in antitrust, patent, trademark and copyright law, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 29 at the Carriage Hill Nursing Home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Oppenheim also had been chairman of the American Bar Association's antitrust law section. From 1953 to 1955, he was cochairman of the Attorney General's National Committee to Study the Anti-Trust Laws. He was an adviser on research for the Patent, Trademark and Copyright Research Institute at George Washington University from 1957 to 1972.

Mr. Oppenheim, who lived in Washington, was born in New York City. He served in the Army during World War I. He graduated from Columbia University, where he also received a master's degree in economics. He received two law degrees from the University of Michigan.

In 1927 he moved to the Washington area and joined the faculty of the George Washington University law school. He taught there until joining the law school faculty at the University of Michigan in 1952, from which he retired in 1965. He was counsel to the Washington law firm of Howrey & Simon from 1970 to 1983.

He was a past editor of the Little Brown and Co.'s "Trade Regulation Series." Mr. Oppenheim was a founding member of the Bureau of National Affairs' advisory board of "The Anti-Trust and Trade Regulation Report."

He received the Jefferson Medal from the New Jersey Patent Law Association in 1951 and received the first Charles F. Kettering Award from George Washington University's Patent, Trademark and Copyright Foundation in 1957.

Mr. Oppenheim was also a member of the National Lawyers Club and the Cosmos Club. His books include "Cases on Trade Regulation," first published in 1936, "Cases on Federal Anti-Trust Laws," first published in 1948, and "Newspapers and the Anti-Trust Laws," which he cowrote with his wife, Carrington Shields Oppenheim.

His first wife, Morgery Oppenheim, died in 1974. In addition to his wife, of Washington, survivors include one son by his first marriage, Daniel Oppenheim of Washington, and one granddaughter.


70, a chaplain at Howard University Hospital since 1978 who had been a chaplain at D.C. General Hospital before that, died of kidney failure Jan. 29 at his home in Washington. He had lived in this area since 1948.

He was a retired Navy Department librarian and had been a Baptist church pastor and a teacher. He was a past president of the John F. Kennedy League for Universal Justice and Goodwill, a group of black ministers who are part of the Baptist Ministers' Conference of Washington, D.C., and vicinity. Dr. Brown had been active in community work and had been a supporter of John L. Ray for mayor in 1978.

Dr. Browne was an Army veteran of World War II. He graduated from Philander Smith College in his native Arkansas and received master's and doctoral degrees from Howard University's School of Religion. He worked for the Navy Department for 25 years before retiring in 1969.

He was pastor of Goodwill Baptist Church in Washington from the early 1950s to the mid-1960s. He was a part-time pastor of Good Shepherd Baptist Church in Capitol Heights in the 1970s. He became a chaplain at D.C. General in 1971, and held that post about five years. He also had been an adjunct professor at Howard's religion school.

He was a past master of Fellowship Masonic Lodge No. 26 in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Sallie L., and a son, Hosea Jr., both of Washington; two daughters, Barbara Browne-Belford of Oakland, and Marsha G. Browne of Washington; three brothers, and three sisters.


72, president of the Woman's National Democratic Club from 1959 to 1961 and the widow of former House member Joseph E. Casey (D-Mass.), died of kidney failure Jan. 29 at Georgetown University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

During her years as president, the club became integrated and grew in importance as a forum for party speakers. In 1962 she represented President Kennedy at celebrations marking national independence in Uganda.

Mrs. Casey was a native of Hanover, N.H. She attended Smith College and received her bachelor's degree at George Washington University in 1974.

At the age of 21, she was an unsuccessful Democratic Party candidate for the state legislature. She then came to Washington and worked for the old National Recovery Administration before her 1939 marriage to Casey.

He served in the House for eight years before being defeated in a 1942 Senate race against Republican Henry Cabot Lodge. Casey died in 1980.

Survivors include two sons, Joseph Jr., of Eugene, Ore., and John D., of Charlottesville; three daughters, Constance Casey of San Francisco, and Jane Casey Kuczynski and Caroline Casey, both of Washington, and eight grandchildren.


79, a retired personnel training director with the Department of the Army, died of cancer Jan. 24 at the Alexandria Hospital. She lived in Alexandria.

Mrs. Kesler was born in Louisa, Va. She graduated from James Madison University. She moved to the Washington area in 1952 and went to work for the Army Department. She retired about 1976.

She was a member of the American Association of Retired Persons, where she was a past deputy director for Virginia. She was an area coordinator for the National Association of Retired Federal Employees.

For the last two years she had been a delegate to the Silver Haired Legislature in Richmond and had served two terms as a member of Alexandria's Commission on Aging. She also was a member of the Alexandria Democratic Committee.

Her marriage to Benjamin R. Kesler ended in divorce.

Survivors include one son, Benjamin R. Kesler of Roanoke; one brother, John E. Baber of Jacksonville; five grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


47, an employee of the Fairfax County public school system since 1974 who for the past 10 years had been finance officer of the J.W. Robinson Secondary School, died of cancer Jan. 29 at Fair Oaks Hospital in Fairfax.

Mrs. Arcieri, a resident of Fairfax Station, was born in New York City. Before settling in the Washington area in 1972, she accompanied her husband, an Air Force officer, to various military bases in this country and Germany.

She was a former member of the Air Force Wives Club and also had been active in the Air Force Family Services organization. More recently she had been active in the Robinson Boosters Club.

Survivors include her husband, retired Air Force Lt. Col. Joseph D. Arcieri of Fairfax Station, and three children, Guy J. Arcieri of Alexandria and Jo Ann Arcieri and Cathleen A. Arcieri, both of Fairfax.


35, a volunteer deputy fire chief with the Berwyn Heights Fire Department, where he had served since 1976, was struck and fatally injured by a car Jan. 29 as he crossed the Capital Beltway on foot after investigating an overturned car, according to a spokesman for the Prince George's County Fire Department.

No charges will be filed in the incident, the spokesman said.

Mr. Yvorra had been driven to the scene by a Greenbelt police officer and was struck by a northbound car as he tried to return to the police car after checking the overturned car, the spokesman said.

A native of Portersville, Pa., Mr. Yvorra graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a degree in journalism. He worked for fire and rescue companies in Portersville and in Williamsport, Pa., before moving to the Washington area in 1976 and joining the Berwyn Heights Fire Department.

He had been a senior instructor at the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute.

Mr. Yvorra had done editorial work on several books including "First Responder," written by J. David Bergeron, and "Trench Rescue," by James B. Gargan. He also had written a training manual on hazardous materials.

He was a member of the editorial advisory board for publications of the International Association of Fire Chiefs.

Survivors include his parents, James and Ruth Yvorra of Portersville.


87, a retired physician who had a private practice in the Washington area for more than 50 years, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 29 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Dr. Friedenberg was born in Austria to American parents, who were traveling, and grew up in the Washington area. He graduated from the old Central High School and George Washington University, where he also received a degree in medicine. He received a postgraduate degree in medicine from the University of Pennsylvania.

During the late 1920s, he was the personal physician to General of the Armies John J. Pershing during a six-month assignment in South America. He worked for a hospital in Binghamton, N.Y., before opening his practice in Washington about 1929. He retired in 1982.

Dr. Friedenberg was a member of the American Medical Association and the Medical Society of the District of Columbia.

Survivors include his wife, Augusta Friedenberg of Washington; one son, Paul Friedenberg of Potomac, and two granddaughters.