Arthur Sheinbaum, 68, a founder and the president of Melart Jewelers and a founder and past president of the Greater Washington Retail Jewelers Association, died Jan. 28 at Sibley Memorial Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Sheinbaum was born in Washington and graduated from the old Central High School and Strayer Business College. He founded Melart Jewelers with the late Melvin Foer in 1939. At the time of his death, he was president of the firm, which has 19 stores in Washington, Maryland and Virginia.

He was a past president of the Retail Jewelers Council and had been a member of the Leading Jewelers Guild.

Mr. Sheinbaum was a member of Beth Shalom Congregation in Washington, where he was a past chairman of the building committee. He had been a member of the Board of Jewish Education of Greater Washington and was a past director of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington.

He also was a member of the regional board of the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith and was a member of its Society of Fellows.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, the former Goldie Moiger, of Washington; one son, Ronald Sheinbaum of Rockville; one daughter, Bonnie Gorman of Potomac, and four grandchildren.


93, a retired English teacher who gave private lessons in Rio de Janeiro and who had lived in the Washington area since 1981, died of respiratory failure Feb. 1 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Shaw, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Chambersburg, Pa. She graduated from College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio, and she did graduate studies at Columbia University.

She moved to South America in 1936 and worked for the State Department at the Brazilian-American Institute. She began teaching private English lessons at her home in Rio de Janeiro in 1950. She retired in 1981 and moved to the Washington area.

Her husband, Paul Vanorden Shaw, died in 1970.

Survivors include one daughter, Renee Carpenter of Bethesda; one sister, Janet Piper of Chambersburg, and two grandsons.


84, a retired freight rate specialist with the General Accounting Office, died of respiratory failure and emphysema Jan. 30 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Asher was born in Topeka, Kan. He attended LaSalle University in Chicago. He moved to the Washington area about 1942 and went to work for the War Department. About 1946, he joined the GAO, where he worked until he retired in 1970.

He received the War Department's Meritorious Civilian Service Medal in 1945.

Mr. Asher was a Mason.

His wife, Mollie A. Asher, died in 1986. Survivors include a sister, Annalee Hagen of Topeka.


87, a longtime resident of Washington who had been active in various garden clubs, died Feb. 2 at Sibley Memorial Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Willim was born in Smyrna, Del. She graduated from the Massey Business College in Richmond. She moved here in 1942.

She was a member of the Wesley United Methodist Church.

Survivors include her husband of 63 years, Ed Willim Jr. of Washington; two children, Donald K. Willim of Bedford, Mass., and Edward Willim III of Bethesda, and five grandchildren.


64, toy safety specialist with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, died of cancer Feb. 4 at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Early was born in Harrisonburg, Va. He graduated from the University of Virginia where he also received a master's degree in economics. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in the China-Burma-India Theater.

He moved to the Washington area in 1950 and was customer service manager for the Gilpin Wholesale Drug company here before he joined the Food and Drug Administration in 1963. Later he was assigned to the FDA's bureau of product safety. He transferred to the Consumer Product Safety Commission when it became a separate agency in 1972.

At his death, he was the toy safety specialist in the directorate for compliance and litigation and a liaison for toy safety with foreign companies that sell toys in the United States.

Mr. Early was a member of the Fairfax Jubil-Aires, a men's singing group, and he had been a Cub Scout leader.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Gore Early of Falls Church; one daughter, Ruth Ann LeMar of San Antonio; one son, Donald Bruce Early of Falls Church; his mother, Ruth P. Early of Pleasant Valley, Va.; one brother, Robert Early of Mount Crawford, Va., and three grandchildren.